Need some ideas for my front yard!

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

All I know is that I want foundation plantings along the front of the house. The part that I'm unsure about is the middle section that is locked in by the sidewalks, driveway, and fence. I don't want any grass there-just plants, but I don't know how to organize the plants. Should I put taller plants in the middle? Taller plants towards the house and then lower toward the fence? Should the plants be about the same height or varied throughout?

I have a picture of part of the survey that shows the front yard layout, and I wrote in where its sunny/shady.

Thumbnail by passiflora07
Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a picture of the front of the house.

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

And another...

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I'm no help with the landscaping, but your puppy is beautiful!

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, jlp! He's so funny. Whenever I want to take a picture of something he stands right in the way and stares at me (probably wondering what I'm doing), so a lot of my pictures have him in it somewhere :)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

My dog does the same thing when I'm taking pictures!

For your bed, if it's going to be frequently viewed from all different sides, I would put tall things in the middle, and work your way towards shorter things around the perimeter. I'd probably find a large-ish shrub or a fountain or piece of garden art or something and make it a focal point in the middle of the bed, then plant some shorter shrubs or perennials next, then a border of some colorful annuals or shorter perennials. And then maybe some nice flowering vines along the chain link fence to soften it a bit.

Or if you mainly want to be able to enjoy it from the house and sidewalk rather than the driveway, you could plant some taller things along the fence and the driveway to screen them a bit, then work your way down in height as you get closer to the house and the sidewalk.

Sorry I can't help you much with plant suggestions since my climate's very different, but hopefully this helps a little!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Just an idea, but you could remove some of the concrete if you don't like it or don't really use it as a path. It can be broken up and some of the pieces used as pavers or stepping stones.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I know you didn't ask about the foundation plantings, but the ones you have are really reaching for the sun. Make sure you put in shorter ones that don't need a lot of sun.

I would vary the height in the area you are talking about with some flowering shrubs in the 3 - 4' height, I don't know your climate at all so I can't make recommendations, but I would think mainly green perennials with a wide variety of color, shapes and sizes would be nice. Do succulents grow well for you? If they do shorter ones to the edges would be nice. I wouldn't put in "solders standing in rows". You could either put in annuals for flowers or perennial flowering plants scattered among the green.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images