Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: V for Victory - Victory Garden That Is!: Victory Gardens

Communities > Forums > Article: V for Victory - Victory Garden That Is!
bookmark
Forum: Article: V for Victory - Victory Garden That Is!Replies: 5, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

February 25, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #4585999

Because of food rationing in WWII, people who lived in suburbs or rural areas ate much better than apartment or row house dwellers in cities. The federal government issued ration books to citizens for various items, including gasoline. Rationed items could not be purchased without the required stamp from the book for that item. Victory Gardens were used to not only supply fresh vegetables and fruits in the summer, but the housewife canned the excess produce. The canning process made the kitchen even hotter in the pre-air conditioning era of the forties. Some people rigged up an outdoor cooking area to sterilize the jars and seal them in a hot-water bath process. Others extended the home-produced food concept by keeping a few chickens for eggs and for Sunday dinner's entree, or a cow for milk and cream. In more recent times, I have seen many homes in rural France where the area we would call a front yard was used for vegetable gardening, as well as to flower gardening, with no grass in sight. Americans who have eaten only supermarket vegetables and fruits shipped from far-off climes have no idea what locally grown, farm market or home garden vegetables are like.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #4586927

Very true - but one yard at a time we are working to changes that...
Aunt_A

February 27, 2008
4:43 AM

Post #4594513

Whooo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grass is a waste of time and energy. I have a neighbor down the road who must think that he is going to get some kind of a reward for perfect stripes across his lawn...ugh! Would much rather see a veggie garden and fruits/berries.
Aunt_A

February 27, 2008
4:44 AM

Post #4594521

Of course, the waste of time and energy (for perfect grass) is my humble opinion, ha,ha or ah,ah.

This message was edited Feb 29, 2008 6:47 PM
LanceW
Sag Harbor, NY

February 28, 2008
3:42 AM

Post #4599007

I remember my grandmother's Victory Garden in Lebanon, Mo. very well, I actually enjoyed pulling weeds for her when I was about seven. The family also bought local milk and cream and churned butter, made ice cream I can still taste -- my uncle grew sargum (sp?) and with a number of other families made their own molasses. When I finally moved from NYC to Long Island I decided, of course, that I would grow my own vegetables. I soon learned I had no skill at all and did much better with shrubs, flowers and ornamental trees. Fortunately there are a number of small farms around that still grow vegetables and have road stands -- they do green beans much better than I did. Regarding Victory Gardens -- in the 40's there were also many front yard gardens in red, white and blue that people called Victory Gardens

LanceW.
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

February 29, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #4604336

My 83 year old mother was just reminiscing about how her father could go out into the woods in Ohio and bring back mushrooms, frogs, wild berries, wild honeycombs, all kinds of goodies, and the family of two parents and 7 children lived just fine through the Depression and World War II. They owned probably less than 1/2 acre of land, but they had many vegetable and flower gardens, and chickens to boot! I remember, when I was little, visiting my grandmother's house...hardly a scrap of grass anywhere, but I thought it was just beautiful, so many little walks and things to see outside. I just bought a house with about 1/3 of an acre of land. Let's just say the grass is going to be down-sized as quickly as possible, even subtly in the front yard. Who wants to mow the lawn on a hot August Saturday??

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: V for Victory - Victory Garden That Is! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very nice article Dutchlady1 5 Feb 24, 2008 11:53 PM
why did we forget how? carrielamont 32 Mar 1, 2008 4:47 PM
To WWII allies! KashtanGeorge 3 Feb 25, 2008 11:20 AM
Victory garden Superlec 8 Sep 25, 2008 9:04 PM
How I started smaepollard 1 Mar 1, 2008 1:19 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America