Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Insect Identification help

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 224
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Shinigami_Bob

August 22, 2001
12:54 AM

Post #11352

Hello everyone,

I found a rather large insect (one inch in length) walking across the patio in the backyard today, and I have no idea what it is. Perhaps you could help?

I regret to say that I have no picture--I have no digital camera and the thing wouldn't sit still on the scanner. :P

Here, instead is a detailed description of it.

Six rather long legs, all black, connected at the lower half of the thorax. Anntennae are short compared to even the front legs, which are the shortest of the 3 pairs. Thorax and abdomen joint is about the same diameter as the neck. Head (whats the scientific name for that?) joins to the thorax closely. Legs seem similar to those of a cricket's in that there are "barbs" coming off them all. The thorax and head both are a red color, and the abdomen is a red/black alternate stripe--it almost looks like two big red dots joined together close to the thorax, and a red stripe covering the end of the abdomen. The whole thing is covered in what appears to be fur--or hair, if you will. The body structure is similar to that of a wasp's.

Thank you, and if I can manage to get a picture of it (ie--if it will stop moving on the scanner :P ) then I will send it to you.

Shinigami Bob
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2001
1:07 AM

Post #113857

Is this it?
http://www.aqua.org/animals/species/venom/cowkiller.html
http://entowww.tamu.edu/images/insects/common/images/cd-43-c-txt/cimg344.html
Shinigami_Bob

August 22, 2001
1:15 AM

Post #113863

To: Poppysue

Yes, the cow killer is the insect. ^__^ Thank you!

It's sitting in a jar on my shelf right now--it's cool looking. :P

Do you happen to know what I could feed it if I wanted to keep it for a pet?

Thanks again,

Shinigami Bob
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2001
1:21 AM

Post #113865

Aargh... a pet!! The larva feed on bumble bees and the adults drink nectar. This is from my Audubon book...

"Adult cow killers can run quickly and fight ferociously. They get their name from their painful sting - so severe that many people claim it could kill a cow"

I don't think I'd want one for a pet!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2001
2:16 AM

Post #113906

I agree with Poppysue, don't think I would want it for a pet. I've heard the sting is extrememly painful.
Cala
Glory
Biloxi, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2001
3:24 AM

Post #113947

had one of those in my greenhouse today...OMG
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2001
5:14 AM

Post #113985

While I wouldn't keep it as a pet I would keep it under glass to look at awhile! It is pretty awesome looking!
deed
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2001
2:54 PM

Post #114104

Isn't nature something!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America