Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Beginner Vegetables: Seedling Trouble

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bordo
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #4592053

This year, as my family has taken a lot of vacations, I was rushing to put the seeds in the little pots. I didn't have any sterilized soil on hand so I just grabbed some from the garden. Yes, I know, I should have put the soil in the oven to kill pathogens and weed seeds. Well I forgot. Now little weedlings are popping up in all my little containers. Yes, my seeds are popping up too, and some of them I can tell the difference, like cucumbers and rhubarb look nothing like weeds. I quickly de-weed these ones. But some like strawberry, are really hard to tell apart. I just got some rare seeds that I only have a few of so replanting is not an option for those. Should I just scrap those pots and start over, or should I continue? Also, it would be helpful if anyone could direct me to a sight that has pictures of different types of seedlings, for future reference.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2008 4:42 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2008
10:22 PM

Post #4592302

Refer to your other pots for what your weed'lings look like. If you have a camera you can try our Plant ID forum to ID your 'real' seedlings. I think Wintersowing has some seedling pictures
Peckhaus
Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #4614163

Bordo,

Try this site for pictures of seedlings:

http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedlings.html

Good luck!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America