Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Strawbale Gardening: Back in New Zealand, some pictures of my garden

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 73, Views: 974
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

February 27, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #4593090

Hi All,

Back home at last after 6 weeks of absence, and from frosty Europe right into the middle of the southpacific summer! My garden turned into an untamed jungle while I was away. Despite minimal care, most plants are in a relatively lively condition, as are the weeds.

The giant sunflowers have finished flowering, are now feeding a mass of birds. Some had fallen. A pumpkin plant had managed to climb the tomato poles up to roof height! I have completeyl removed this adventurer, as it had not set fruit but was creating alot of shade. There are a few oversize kohlrabi, alot of huge and unfortunately floral basil (does anyone know a use for floral basil?) and two smallish caugette plants are still struggling to escape the shady onslaught of tangled tomato vines. One bore a huge fruit though.

The pepper plants have become trees, absolutely LOADED with peppers, alot ripening already which is very early. This extremely hot dry summer has provided incredible growing conditions for peppers, they have never been this hot before. Time to start making hot sauce. And some cucumber pickles. Alot of apple cucumbers sit on the vines.

Tomatoes!!! So many, so big, I cant believe it. Some plants have toppeled to become sprawlers, but are big and healthy. Ill just do some light pruning and let them be. Yesterday (first day home) I picked a whole kitchen bench full. Have taken a photo. And took some photos of the untouched jungle as it was. Ill proceed to upload some photos now... and update in a week or so when I have tidied everything up a bit.

Plenty of tomatoes to share... your are all invited to visit and pick a few!

Lena

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

February 27, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #4593134

See the climbing pumpkin, and all the apple cucumbers in the bales at the front, and all the purple basil flowers. I have alot of work to do.

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

February 27, 2008
12:56 AM

Post #4593191

Thai Chilli

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

February 27, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #4593355

Tomatoes "Delicious" growing out of barley straw bales.

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

February 27, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #4593405

Tomatoes "Roma" growing in the ground

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

February 27, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #4593543

These didnt do so well. Its the location, very little sun. From left: Roma, Green sausage, Tigerella, Delicious

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

February 27, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #4593683

Tomatoes "Black from Tula" growing in bales on the sunny open lawn

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

February 27, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #4593720

The big one in front is a Brandywine

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

February 27, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #4593748

What I picked yesterday. Yellow Pear, Yellow plum and tiny tim in the basket. And the big caugette

Back to front and L-R:

Tigerella, Green Sausage, Brandywine.

Black from Tula, Golden Jubilee, Purple Russian.

Roma, Green Zebra.

Delicious.

Great white.

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

February 28, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #4598140

Lena, Lena, Lena! Gorgeous! Just, simply gorgeous pics! You have done a fantastic job, even while you were gone! :-)

Call your local newspaper (or a gardening magazine) to do a story on your bale garden.

What are your neighbors saying?

How hot are those Thai peppers compared to Habaneros? or Cayenne?

Keep up the good work.

Kent
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

February 28, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #4602099

Kent: Ill wait till its all tidied up before I even think about calling the newspaper or anyone else to come and see! Im working on it though. I havent seen my neighbours since Ive been home. Maybe they are on holiday.

Yes the Thai chillis are nice and hot. Not quite like Habaneros, but pretty close. Cayenne are a bit milder. I made a big batch of chilli jam with kiwifruit, lime, and feijoa yesterday. My 50 odd plants are producing alot.

I also bottled 5 huge batches of tomatoes last night, it kept me up till 1am. All sepparated by variety. The difference in colours looks amazing. More to do again today. Maybe Ill try a batch of Ketchup with a mix of the smaller crops. Need to make some labels too. Feb 29th... leap year!

These are the Yellow Pear tomatoes, doing supprisingly well in their bales, with very little feeding or fussing over. I gave everything its first feed in weeks this morning.

Lena

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 29, 2008
6:46 AM

Post #4603932

Wow Lena!! Fantastic. What in the world did your friend feed them? Those plants are so nice and lush. They are nice and strong to hold all of that produce. You did a good job.

I'll bet your eyes popped when you first saw what you had. What a shame the sunflowers bloomed while you were away. I'll bet they were gorgeous. Look at the big seed heads!!

It just seems like yesterday that you were asking whether you should put your bales on the lawn or on the cement in the shade. Think that was it. Looks like you did both.

Whatever you did it surely was right. I see some salsa in your future girl. LOL

Welcome home!!

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 4, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #4621902

Lena; We are ready to pack our suit cases. Unfortunately, it's only a dream. Sorry I didn't see this post any earlier. My DW & I as well, got hit with the flu bug that wasn't covered with this years flu shots. We both felt like we had been hit by eighteen wheelers pulling triple trailers.
I think you done excellent.
Unfortunately I know all too well about a garden getting out of control, when you are away. So it is very easy to understand your concern for cleaning it up a bit first.
We are starting to feel better. Today was the first time we ventured out and visited with friends at the local coffee shop ( THE BARN ) LOL
We just didn't want to spread the flu to any of our friends.
We still have snow and ice covering most of the garden area, with a little of the dirt exposed. If the day warms enough. It gets rather greasy under foot. In other words we have a few more weeks of winter yet.
Enjoyed all the pictures. Thanks
Russ and Barb
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #4624122

Dear Russ and Barb,
I'm so pleased to hear that the two of you are finally recovering from the dreaded lurgi! I was worried for you both as it sounded quite bad. My zucchini plants have finally started to set some fruit - it has really been too hot and dry here and they have been very slow. The eggplant however is doing well and is now setting multple fruit. I am back on the bulb planting grindstone as of this week. What fun! I am looking forward to living vicariously through all of you during our winter
here.

Ciao, Kaelkitty.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 5, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #4625646

Yes it was a little rough. Probably our age, may have made us feel it more. But we are on the mend. Kind of. We need to be careful yet as it wouldn't take much to have a relapse.
Right about now we could use some of the hot weather your are having. that would probably help perk us up.
Right now it is 22F, And we had a light snow last night. The temp has been up and down. Like from aah nice to brrr cold. Perfect for catching the bug.
But in a few weeks spring will be here and we will be out in the garden again.
We have received many new seeds from other garden friends and are anxious to get them all planted. Some from around here who we have shared with and some from our on line garden friends as well.
Must stop writing now and do some other things
Russ & Barb
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2008
6:30 AM

Post #4628620

Russ, I don't think your age has anything to do with it. You 2 are very active people for "your age". Good grief. Wish I had half your energy. That bug just hits some people a lot harder than others. Or it is just a different kind than other's might get. A friend of mine who is half "your age" seems to have the same kind you both had and she is still down with it. Been in bed over a week now. However, you are absolutely correct in that you need to be really careful to not have relapses.

Yes, I do believe some spring would cheer us all up. We have some nice beautiful sunny days and almost get up to 50 or slightly above and then it gets down to the low 20s at night.

I have petunias, dahlias, cucumbers and a lot of other things sprouting now in my kitchen. I didn't think they would come up so fast or would have waited longer. But then I say that every year.

Jeanette
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

March 7, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #4631887

Spot the sandwich in this sandwhich :-)

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

March 7, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #4631908

Brandywine

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

March 7, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #4631952

Starting to look a bit tidier. These 4 bales are doing great. The tomatoes are the healthiest looking and producing well. Just one tomato plant per bale, plus two pepper plants. And a few random rudbeckias for the bees.

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 7, 2008
3:30 AM

Post #4632125

Lookin good Lena. That is one healthy tomato.
Hope ypu don't mind I'm going to show a friend that sandwich LOL
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2008
5:47 AM

Post #4632709

Everything looks good Lena. Maybe your friend can come take care of my garden this summer. He did real good.

Jeanette
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

March 14, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #4661332

The first bell peppers may be ready for picking soon. Ive been watching them, not sure if I should wait for them to ripen or just pick them green.

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

March 14, 2008
3:44 AM

Post #4661381

These two tomato plants in front kind of escaped their poles while I was away. I have just left hem to it, they are growing so well! Black from Tula and Delicious, my two most productive plants in the whole garden, and they recieved the least care. Funny how that happens sometimes. They must like the sunny back lawn, the wind hasnt caused too many problems. The bale island on this side of the house is doing alright too. There are so many tomatoes still to ripen, Im running out of jars already. 2 whole big pantry shelves are crammed with full jars of caned tomatoes. I am starting to puree the tomatoes and let them simmer a while to reduce the volume by about half, so I can fill them into bottles as concentrate. About to go and burn my fingers again, 4th batch for the day. Phew! Just having a little pc break.

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

March 14, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #4661422

The bale tomatoes, doing great out here despite the wind. The climbing cage a built for them is starting to look a little lopsided though, Ive watched the wind knock it around a bit.

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

March 14, 2008
3:55 AM

Post #4661459

View from this angle. Tomatoes this end are Great White on the left, a small Green Sausage bush in the middle, and Black from Tula on the right. I took these pictures today. The bales are really beginning to sag and fall to bits, the strings are all loose!

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

March 14, 2008
4:06 AM

Post #4661499

Beans. Purple King and Blue Lake. They didnt do so well. I managed to pick a few beans, and the plants got quite tall, but they just dont look happy in their bales. I had some scarlet runners in the ground, and they are still big and green and bushy, a lot better looking than these poor things. Maybe Ill just leave them in the ground next year. Has anyone tried peas in bales??? I could put some in this bale after the beans and see what happens. The bale itself is still in pretty good shape.

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 14, 2008
9:35 PM

Post #4664360

Lena:
I can almost taste the tomatoes. Great pictures.
I have finally started some tomatoes and peppers in flats in the kitchen.
one flat I have transplanted into bigger pots. and moved off of the bottom heat shelf, They just get light now, no more bottom heat.
Oh you can go ahead and start picking your peppers and eating them at any time, they get adequate size to them.
The flavor won't change that much when they turn red. Possibly a tiny bit sweeter.
Once again Great pictures.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2008
5:41 AM

Post #4666320

Lena, your fruit looks wonderful. That is exactly what I do for tomato sauce. Just reduce it down. It takes quite a lot to fill up the jars but it sounds like you have plenty.

I really like those bamboo trellises you made. Especially the overhead. did you do that? Looks great.

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 15, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #4666866

Jeanette, guess we will have to have her come up and build our gages. LOL Course wouldn't you know it, I don't have access to bamboo. Yes I think that was a marvelous job. Those peppers looked great too.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #4667571

I'll take the cages. Even I can start seeds. EXCEPT Russ, those tomato seeds I sent you. I paid a lot for 15 seeds and they were all bad. How were yours?

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 15, 2008
6:29 PM

Post #4667684

Jeanette The one in the fish tank is still holding on. It is starting to get a little thicker stem. I do think however I will plant it outside, later.
I will Have to clean the aquarium pretty good as with the nutrients in the water It is getting nasty enough. I don't believe I will try growing any more in the house.
I may try again with a greenhouse, if I can keep it warm enough with a homemade solar heater.

That will be a project in it's self. I have a large square flat glass window that has the glue in between like the old flat car windows. It will withstand a pretty good hail storm, and not break like regular window glass.
I don't have it all planed out yet. It is something I want to try though.

I have some of those tomato seeds left yet. If you would like I could send them back, if you still wanted to try growing them.
My thinking is that if I can get one to produce outside, the seed could be saved, for another attempt. That is if we can come up with some improvement in the systems we have tried so far. Let me know.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #4668207

Russ, I will write D-mail since I doubt if anybody else is interested in this experiment. LOL

Jeanette
SuzanSkylark
Pipersville, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #4737109

Lena: What are apple-cucumbers? They sound amazing! Got any seeds?? WOnder if they'd grow in Pennsylvania.

Your garden looks great. Thanks for the photos.

Suzan
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

April 1, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #4739767

Hi Suzan,

Apple cucumbers, or more correctly "crystal apple" (Cucumis sativus) are a round pale coloured cucumber about the size of an apple. They grew and produced well, but personally I didnt like them much. Alot of seed, and a slightly different taste to regular cucumbers. Not unpleasent, but strange. Kind of appley almost! I have a whole fruitbowl full and dont quite know what to do with them all, so I probably wont grow them again. They are keeping extremely well at room temperature though, the plants kept producing untill I pulled them out last week. Maybe they do have their uses after all... my green cucumbers all finished in feb already. Heres a picture of them from last month, sitting on their bales.

I do have some seeds left over from spring. It was one of those handy double sealed "now and later" packets, so they should be fine. Dmail me if your interested.

What is your Pennsylvania climate like?

Lena

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

SuzanSkylark
Pipersville, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #4743878

Lena: I'd love some of those seeds. (What is DMail?? I keep seeing this on the posts)
Right now it's between 40 and 70 during the days (I swear, I DO believe Mother Nature has altzheimers!) My daffodils are starting to bloom, forsythia and crocuses are out, the willow trees are turning chartreuse- it's so beautiful here. We're in zone 6 or 7, I can't keep it straight. Fairly even seasons - although the winters have been pretty wimpy lately; not much snow. I love the snow in the winter- makes you truly appreciate the Spring!

My step-mother was from Australia, and though I really have no interest in going there, I'm fascinated by what little I know of New Zealand. I'll look forward to your posts and pictures, and to those seeds, if I can figure how to get them from you!

Peace! Suz

Thumbnail by SuzanSkylark

KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

April 2, 2008
3:12 AM

Post #4744050

Suzan: D-Mail is our internal messaging system here at DG. By using our internal messaging system, you can communicate with any other member on the site without revealing your personal email address.

Link: http://davesgarden.com/tools/

By the way, take look around at all the features at DG. Lots of resources, ideas, etc, etc.

Kent
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

April 30, 2008
4:11 AM

Post #4885370

Some new photos I took this morning. The structure is beginning to lean a bit. Most plants have grown right over the top and to the other side, many are still growing. I will chop the tops off soon I think, slow them down a bit.

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

April 30, 2008
5:01 AM

Post #4885532

Brandywine and Green Zebra still going for it in the bales

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2008
5:15 AM

Post #4885552

WOW Lena, look at all those tomatoes!! What kind of fertilizer were you using? Even after all the canning and sharing you did you still have them ripening. That is wonderful. Good for you.

Jeanette
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

April 30, 2008
6:03 AM

Post #4885617

Hi Jeanette :-)

It takes so long to upload the pictures, I keep walking away and forgetting about it. Slowly slowly ill get it done.

Havent fertilised for a while actually. The last application of Yates general purpose was about 5 weeks ago. I think the roots will be well into the ground below by now.

This bale had 3 Romas but only one is still going. And the nasturtiums and basil of course.

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

April 30, 2008
6:09 AM

Post #4885622

Yellow Pear, still doing ok. I stopped feeding these too. Ive had enough. This bale is still in great condition, dont know why. Actually, this one, and the others I places strings up, have held their shape better than the strings down bales.

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

April 30, 2008
6:15 AM

Post #4885626

Peppers and Tomatoes

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2008
6:33 AM

Post #4885639

Amazing garden you have!! Thanks for sharing, Lena.
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

April 30, 2008
6:34 AM

Post #4885641

Ive tried to upload this picture 4 times now. Why wont it work? Hopefully it did now

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

April 30, 2008
6:53 AM

Post #4885658

And a look the other way. There has been rain all week so everything is looking nice and green again, but really most plants are on their way out.

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

April 30, 2008
7:02 AM

Post #4885668

Some Peppers I picked last week. From top left clockwise: Thai Super, Cayenne, Habanero Red (centre Habanero white. but they look yellow to me), Thai Hot, and two unknown varieties that I grew from seed I collected myself somewhere. Does anyone recognise them? Oh and Hungarian Yellow Wax in between them all.

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

April 30, 2008
12:20 PM

Post #4886073

Lena: fantastic pics! Have you made a believer out of all your neighbors? :-)

Kent
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

April 30, 2008
12:32 PM

Post #4886132

Kent: Not my neighbours, but a friend recently saw pics on my online blog and asked for info. He seems genuinely interested in giving it a try. I sent him what info I could, as well as a link to DG :-)

Lena
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 30, 2008
12:34 PM

Post #4886138

Absolutly; that is fantastic.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #4886968

Great pictures Lena. Great garden you had this year. Those peppers on the bottom left I think you said you aren't sure of? Could they be ripe jalapenos? Also, try resizing your pictures down to half size before you load them. That might make it easier. Try to resend one doing that.

Kent, look at her picture of the yellow pears. It looks like she has the bales turned with the strings to the side.

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 30, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #4888720

Jeanette; I remember she had some one way and others the other.
Last year I had all of mine with the strings on the side.
This year they are all going to be string down. I only have nine so far. They don't go all the way along the one edge of my garden. I just feel like they should. I took a few more pictures today. However I'm still pushing to get everything done before Friday. I watered them down, no nitrogen or anything just plain water. When I get back I'll get some blood meal and start watering that in. Planted 10 more asparagus roots today, ran the tiller there to loosen the soil. But to get the holes deep enough, I used the post hole digger. Lets face it I wear out too easy, digging by hand. I put a piece of vinyl house siding on one edge of the row, to keep the brome grass from creeping into their root zone. That makes a nice deep edger for them.
Well my young helper came by tonight to help put the topper on the pickup, so now that is ready to haul the plants. Just have today, tomorrow and a little time Friday, to be ready to go.
Have onions, radish and spinach coming up. Looks good to be able to see the rows of green.
Best get busy. more later.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2008
5:16 AM

Post #4890524

How long a drive is it Russ? Sounds like you are leaving Friday afternoon?

About that digging Russ, I am going to either use the post hole digger or Bob is. LOL, ain't it hell to get old?

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 1, 2008
1:45 PM

Post #4891366

Yeah we get all the advantages of arthritis and a more humble attitude.
Russ
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

May 1, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #4893748

Jeannette: I think Jalapenos are quite thick walled and fleshy. These are thin walled like a cayenne. They do look simelar though dont they. I have some Jalapeno seeds for next season. I will know for sure then.

Lena
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #4893758

Maybe you just need to take a bite. Can you tell the difference?

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 2, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #4893872

Jeanette; I see I skipped part of your question.
Cedar Rapids is around a 3 to 3 an a half hour trip. But We are stopping at the Amana colonies to visit Larry's garden and Give him my trade there, so he can set them inside and the SPs won't suffer much of a shock.
Leana I don't recognize those peppers either. But if they were yellow I would think They were a sweet banana. That is if I'm thinking of the right ones.
Russ
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

May 2, 2008
4:20 AM

Post #4895022

I havent had a fresh Jalapeno before, only the pickled ones. So I wouldnt know. The Jalapenos I have seen in pictures look a bit different too.Darker and bigger. These are yellowish when unripe. How big do the plants get, do you know? These plants are short and sprawly.

Lena
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2008
5:37 AM

Post #4895152

Those don't sound like Jalapenoes. I have tried to spell that every way and my spellcheck does not like it at all. Maybe it doesn't like the capital. Think those Jallys (lol) plants are more like the bells.

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 2, 2008
12:03 PM

Post #4895603

Lena; I'm not real sure, but they look a lot like my sweet banana.
I will try find a pic.

Thumbnail by randbponder

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #4896668

I don't think so Russ. Hers look shorter. Not that that makes as lot of difference in some. Maybe she should take a bite of one and see if they are sweet or hot. LOL

Lena, have you tried that?

Jeanette

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #4897877

Russ, I forgot to tell you to drive careful and have a good time. By the time you read this you will have been there and back and probably done both.

Jeanette
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

May 3, 2008
11:33 AM

Post #4900190

Jeanette: Yeah I have, they are hot! A short red chilli pepper. I have named them "short red" for my own identification purposes.

Russ: thanks for the picture. Your sweet bananas look simelar to my hungarian Yellows, which are slightly hot though, not sweet. The pepper we are trying to identify is the little red one in the bottom left corner. And the other red ones to the right of them, they came out of a mix packet of seeds. Enjoy your trip :-)

Lena
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #4901142

That's good Lena. Now we all know which ones you are talking about.

Wow Lena, you are brave, buying a mixed bag of pepper seed. I might do that with flowers but peppers is something pretty different. I hope those are small bites.

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 4, 2008
8:57 PM

Post #4905824

Yes Jeanette we had a great time. I had a second helping at the BBQ Friday evening. That didn't help my sleep any afterwards. Too much food and a little heartburn.
Then a big picnic lunch on Saturday. Wow, Good thing it was slightly on the cool side and windy. That helped to burn some of those calories.
Then a bunch of us met for supper . Barb & I just had a salad, that we neither one could finish. The main thing of course is we got together and had a great time.
There were enough door prizes, that everybody got their name drawn 3 times. Then for the plant swap, The went by tables. I know each table was called about the same number of times. that was to chose 1 plant. before they just turned everybody loose, to pick plants untill they were all gone. We brought home about as many as we took for trade.
But I did get a nice Autumn Clematis, a couple tropical Hibiscus, a Kalanchoe, high bush cranberry, about 8 different lilies, 8 ever-bearing raspberries, bell flowers. and much more. Now I have to plant most of it. Several of course are not hardy and will have to be in containers.
When we went out we went down to the interstate and across as we wanted to stop in the Amana Colonies, to visit a garden there and to complete a trade that had been agreed upon already. So that was 294 miles going and when we came home we only went down to highway 30 which saved 40 miles off the trip.
Now that we are home and the pickup is unloaded, we are feeling more like taking a nap. We didn't get much rain out of all those storms this weekend, so I suppose I should set up the soak-er hose on some of the garden. I will water the bales first, as I do want to get them started.
2 days on the other garden sure made a difference. Looks like some of the stuff grew 1" to 2".
Was sure glad I didn't leave any plants in the GH as when I opened the door the heat just about floored me. The thermometer could only read 120 F and that is where the mercury was. Right at the top of the glass.
Oh well it was great to get away, and visit other DG friends. Even though it was still a little to cool for everything to be in bloom. We all had a wonderful time. Even though I forgot one persons Trade. But I will mail that to her, so all will be well and good.
RUSS
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #4906514

Boy Russ, sounds like you guys had a great time. Wonderful. How many were there? Isn't it fun to meet people you have been talking to all this time? Wish I could go. I think they had one over on the coast last year. Across the water from Seattle. Doubt I would go that far.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 5, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #4906651

Someone said there were 55 members plus their spouses.
Some body will post the correct count very soon. and I'll let you know for sure.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2008
5:11 AM

Post #4907986

That is a very nice turnout. Very good. Bet it was fun.

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 5, 2008
9:44 PM

Post #4910919

I was wrong The total was 55, so I am told. But that was still a very good turn out for as cold as it was. We all wore coats. Was wishing I had my long Johns too. I did not see the temp Barb said it was 59 but I don't think it reached that untill we were starting to leave and the wind died down a bit.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2008
5:30 AM

Post #4913053

That is a good turnout Russ. And to have that many hot dishes was good. I used to find at the ;potlucks at work that nobody wanted to bother with the hot stuff but just a few of us so we always got stuck. Not bad with the crock pots they have out now.

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 6, 2008
12:30 PM

Post #4913476

I was willing to bring something hot but those, keeping a list of who was bringing what assured me that a sheet cake would be sufficent.
I really believe that the organizers of this RU Really done a great job, and I know it wasn't cheap they had to have used up a quite a bit of gas, to gather all the door prizes. Some were donated, some were bought. A lot of miles in gathering them, from all the different places.
Every one seemed to go out of their way to make this a GREAT gettogether.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #4914205

That is good that the ones close by probably did more. Probably with your and others from a distance traveling so far it must have evened out. It is nice of you to let them know you appreciate it.

Jeanette
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

September 16, 2009
8:04 AM

Post #7069529

*BUMP*

So that was two years ago that I started my first bale garden. Last spring I could not get more than one overpriced bale (which I needed for mulching) because of the hot dry previous summer and the draughts that came with it. There was a nation wide shortage of hay and straw, animals were hungry and prices went through the roof.

This year I managed to get 8 barley straw bales @$6 each, 3 have already disappeared in the garden as mulch, I plan to plant into a few of them. Here are three that I have set out in the yard, they serve as a day care centre for my seedling at the moment, but I will start wetting them down soon to have them ready for planting in late October. A few eggplants, peppers and cucumbers will take up residence in here. Tulips have just opened.

Lena

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

September 16, 2009
11:05 AM

Post #7069653

As my garden peters out, your pics will carry me/us through until our Spring!!! :-)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #7070278

Going to be a big change for you Lena. Better enlarge some of those pictures and hang them on the wall so you remember how it used to be.

Find something else to do during canning season.

How is school going?

Jeanette

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America