Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Handyman: Handy Senior Women Cook, Sew, Plant, Build, Decorate

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 124, Views: 1,076
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 27, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #4595591

This thread is for women who know that you are not supposed to "choke" up on the hammer.

Also, for women who wear many hats: Chef, Housekeeper, Wife, Mother, Seamstress, Handyperson, Decorator, Gardener, etc.,etc.etc...
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #4595773

Oh what a great idea. I will repost my bed story over here. Betty please post your deck pictures for everyone to see.
My last large project was a bed I made for my granchildren in my home. I wanted a twin bed with a hidden trundle that would pop up to become a king size bed. I didn't have any plans other than that vision in my head. I'm sure you are familar with that. I used the trundle frame for dementions and winged it from there. It turned out nice and works well when I need an extra bed. My grandson loved it. He said" Nona ,you made me a couch for my room." Natually being the oldest grandchild everthing that goes in that room is his.
As with you my health keeps me from building all the things I have visions to do. I am blessed by God to be able to do the things that I can do so I am not complaining.
I know a lot of you have seen this picture so bear with me as I post it again

Thumbnail by Riverland
Click the image for an enlarged view.

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #4595967

I am a Senior woman, and I have a hammer.
I have always loved to build, and create things. I helped my X build our horse barn and fence our farm. There are very few things that I haven't tried to do. I love to cook, quilt, sculpture and paint.

The summer I turned 60 I designed and built a deck on the front of our house. I also found the stones and built the stone stairs and walk way leading to the deck.

I know lots of you have seen these pictures, but here is another one.

Come on Senior ladies. Lets see some of your projects.

Betty
This photo is part of my sidewalk and the front entrance to the deck.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #4595971

Cindy, that is a beautiful bed and you should be proud of yourself for making it! My carpentry skills do't go that far but I DO know how to hold a hammer correctly! and I never measure when I hang pictures--just "eyeball" it. My DH, on the other hand, gets out the laser level and the stud finder, etc., etc., typical male that he is--LOL. The pictures I hang are always right where I want them, though.
I am an accomplished seamstress but I don't have much occasion to exercise my knowledge as far as sewing goes, anymore. The girls that I used to sew for are all grown up now--much too "sophisticated" for home-sewn clothing. I still hem up pants for my granddaughter because almost everything she buys is too long in the legs (like me).
I do have an eye for decorating and I enjoy it thoroughly and I have made every flower arrangement in my house. I have to leave in a few minutes but when I get back later this afternoon, I will post some photos of some of my the arrangements I have made. You girls have a good day!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #4595986

Betty--where is the photo? LOL
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #4596012

LOL, I can Hammer, Saw, and all that stuff. Did I say "My computer skills are lacking"? LOL

I couldn't find the photo I wanted to post, here is another one.
Betty

Thumbnail by picabo

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #4596080

I love Betty's home and garden especially when I get to see them in person (thank you, Betty for having us visiting your lovely home), everything are charming, and most of all are made with love.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #4596114

Marilyn thanks please post your pictures I would love to see them.

I didn't even know there was a handyman forum.
My next picture is my bed. I bought a sleighbed that I always wanted. When I put in my room with ten foot ceilings it just did not look good. It was just too short. I made the canopy , sewed the bedspread , pillows ect. After I had finished I found the border online that exactly matched (was I lucky)

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #4596127

This is a close up of the canopy You can see it is made of simple materials. The carved wood came off a Stienway piano.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #4596133

Wow, Cindy, right up there with the Master decorator! And so talented. My hat is off to y'all.
Kim
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #4596141

Betty your gardens look so intimate. Just love looking at your pictures. Mine will never look like yours. We have too much open spaces and I only started late on it in 2006.
I can just dream .
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #4596147

Beautiful Bed Cindy!

DH is pacing, I think he is wanting me to give him the puter LOL
Back later.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #4596148

Thank You Kim I used to like doing that but now spend all my time gardening.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #4596154

Thank you Betty I am off to get something done too.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #4596219

I'm going to dress up like Eskimo and heading outside. Will catch up later. :-)
Kim
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #4596671

I'm following y'all over from the other thread. I just love looking a home craft projects. Especially woodworking ones, home decor and those things made from materials you just have laying around the house.
I don't have much to offer for conversation since I'm not much of a builder. I am working on the ideas for building my own greenhouse tho.
If hammering nails in the wall counts, here's a picture of my great grandmother's picture she crafted out of burn end kitchen matches back in 1924. I treasure this picture so much that I used her oxen yokes to sorta frame it on my wall.

I am enjoying looking everyone's handy work. It sure is inspirational.

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #4596697

I love that Deborah and I would surely treasure it too. Cindy
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #4596821

Thank you Cindy.

I love the way you are creating Heirlooms for your future great grands.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #4597078

I will try to dig up a picture of the old rope bed I rescued from destruction. My nearly two year old grandaughter now has it in her room in their new home. I used to have it in the spare bedroom. Once the grandkids came along there was need for more space in there thus the single bed above. Both of my DILs love to have things that were part of their husbands past. I don't have any trouble passing things down. I am blessed.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2008
10:38 PM

Post #4597701

Betty, I love your garden, the path and the wooden steps. Did you make those steps?
Cindy, the bed canopy is just gorgeous. You were correct in adding some height to the bed that way--very effective. It's great that you were able to find the border that matched so perfectly! Looking forward to seeing the rope bed.
Deb: What a wonderful heirloom treasure you have in your grandmother's picture that she made from kitchen matches. That is amazing!!.

Here is one of my flower arrangements. I saw something very similar to this at Hobby Lobby several years ago. It was about $125.00, if memory serves me right. I waited until the vase and silk flowers were on sale and made my own for a total of $40.00! I used a coat hanger as the "form" to get the proper shape and just hot-glued the flowers onto it. The coat hanger is stuck into a styrofoam base which is hot glued to the inside bottom of the container. The arrangement is double-sided because I originally had it sitting on a sofa table which faced the foyer of our home and you could also see it from the front of the couch.(The back of the couch and the back of the sofa table were pushed up to one another.)

Thumbnail by marsue

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
11:26 PM

Post #4597865

Beautiful! That was a smart idea to wait and so creative to do it yourself. I know you enjoy it more knowing you made it too. I am feeling really inspired here.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #4597903

Wow you really are talented Marilyn that is beautiful. I cannot do flowers and it is so frustrating to me. But I do love to see others work. Cindy
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #4598114

Ah, but you can build beautiful beds, Cindy! We all have our own special talents and gifts and it is so nice to be able to share our photos with one another. I'm looking forward to seeing photos from some of you other "senior women" who haven't posted yet.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #4598239

Cindy, You are so lucky to have the DiLs to pass things on to. I don't know what will happen to all my "treasures". I have always been the family "Pack Rat". I have an old Fiddle that a great GGG Grandmother played for the soldiers to practice marching before the Civil war. So much other "Stuff" LOL
I love the carved wood from the old Steinway piano. I just took apart an old cabinet. Most of the wood was junk, but after I let DH saw it into little pieces I discovered all the trim on it was walnut. Bummer. LOL
You will be surprised at how fast your gardens will fill in.

We are on the side of a hill and not a lot of gardening room around the house but more than I need. The picture that I posted is of the stone walkway that I built leading to the deck The stone steps were "fun" finding the right size rocks to make the step work out the way I wanted.

Cordele, My Grandmother had a picture made with from some type of wood. Been a long time since I saw it, seems she called it "Tramp Art" that doesn't really sound right.

Marilyn, I love your flower arrangement. Hand me a bouquet of flowers and I don't have a clue what to do. I did build the wooden steps in the picture, they lead onto my deck.

Here is a picture of the other end of my deck.

Betty

Thumbnail by picabo

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2008
1:04 AM

Post #4598295

Betty outstanding work. I know you enjoy sitting out there. I love the steps and know first hand how difficult that is. I did a lot of brickwork at my last house and the bricks were filler bricks used inside the chimney so they were never even but they made beautiful pavers at a lot lower price. Tramp art is from the depression. The drifters would make things and sell or trade them for food or other essentials. Does you daughter or daughter in law have no interest in your treasures? I know you have lovely things because I have seen them in the backgrounds of your pictures. I am very blessed and I know it.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #4598298

Betty, that deck is just beautiful and the surrounding foliage, too. We have very few trees in our yard except for the ones we have planted this past year: some crepe myrtles and flowering plums. We are in a new house in a fairly new subdivision that was formerly a dairy farm. Therefore, not many trees--just a few big oaks scattered here and there. We were not lucky enough to get a lot that had one of those big oaks on it. Along our back fence is a pin oak but it is still fairly small and there are a couple of wild pear trees but they aren't pretty. I do so love the plants like hostas, etc., that like to grow in the shade but there are plenty of plants out there that like sunshine and lots of it, too.

I have heard of "Tramp Art" on the Antiques Roadshow program on public television. I'm not sure what it consists of, though.

Here is another of my flower arrangements. This one needs to be re-worked because my DH accidentally knocked it over. Some of the flowers aren't in the right position. The large dark rose-colored flowers were a light peach color when I first made the arrangement several years ago. When we moved into this house last year, I didn't want the peach color anymore. I bought a 58-cent bottle of rose-colored fabric paint and took a small artist's brush and just painted them. Voila! I had a new flower arrangement! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #4598315

You are really good at those I am jealous. They can really make a room meld together..
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4598396

Another beautiful arrangement, I wish I could do that, I am Not a decorator. That is so smart to paint the flowers, No way I would have thought to do that.
Daughter loves all the old things but she has no children to pass things on to. I am sure she will take everything that she can and give it a loving home. One son loves the old things especially my Grandfathers old books, some from the 1800s His wife has no interest, but that may change before I get finished with them. LOL Other son and his wife have no interest in the old things. I tell him he is not my child. LOL

I don't know what happened to GMs old art. She had lots of old depression things. She had some old chairs that had new seats put in during the depression. Daddy said that she paid a quarter to have the whole set done.

yardbird
Maben, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #4598695

Cindy post pictures of your candle holders you made, they are so neat.

I love all the pictures we have a lot talented people here on DG, I can make a good mess, does that count? LOL

Ruth
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #4598969

I will Ruth I never thought about those. You can do many things Ruth. Growing things that no one else can get to grow.
charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2008
4:41 AM

Post #4599293

I used to own an antique shop and still have a ton of stuff left from it. I kind of specialized in antique lighting. I like to take old lamps and chandeliers and get inventive with them.

Today, I took an old Schlitz beer lamp and turned it into a cool hanging plant holder. I will photograph it tomorrow and put it on here.

I painted it white (over a bronze looking finish). It is a woman that was holding something (missing when I bought it) in her hand that was obviously a lamp globe as it has the part still attached where you would screw the socket on. It also had a light in the bottom.

Well, I buried the bottom so it would support a small hanging basket. The part that had the screw on it worked great to screw on an old chandelier arm. The arm had a curl on the end which reminded me of a plant hanger, so I of course attached the arm and hung a plant where the lamp part would normally be. You would never know it was a Schlitz beer lamp as there is absolutley nothing to indicate that. I assume the globe that she would be holding had the logo on it and the bottom part on the base had a logo, which I buried.

It is too cool! Of course I would think that, but tomorrow, I will let you guys decide.

Charlene
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #4600320

Hurry up with that photo, Charlene! I am very eager to see it.--Your candleholders, too, Cindy! I'm standing here jumping from one foot to the other waiting to see those photos! Well, not really-I'm actually sitting here at my computer--I'm too old to jump from one foot to the other for very long! --LOL
charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #4605994

Here she is:

Thumbnail by charlenesplants

charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #4606005

Here is my hoop house. I had to have the guys help me with it, but it is my plan. It only took about and hour and a half.

Thumbnail by charlenesplants

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 29, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #4606006

Beautiful! you should be proud of your new "plant hanger"--It is definitely one of a kind!
charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #4606017

Well you would never know she was once advertising Schlitz beer. Thanks for the compliment. I knew I would find a use for her one day.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 29, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #4606018

What a neat "hoop house". That looks like what we call "hog wire" which you bent to shape. Is that correct?
charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #4606055

It is four landscape timbers in a square 8x8. Then a 2x4 nailed onto each of two ends and a 1x4 attached at the top to connect the two 2x4's. The only cuts were made to brace the two by fours to the landscape timbers. I added four t-posts driven into the ground at the middle of the four braces because we get some pretty lofty gusts of wind here. I connected the t-posts with wire around the braces.

Then I put the hog wire over the top and nailed it to the landscape timbers on the side. I then folded the 6mil plastic so it was doubled and put it over the top and folded in one end and anchored it down with a 1x2 rolled up in the plastic and nailed to the timber. I left the fold end on the side where it is opened. When it is needed I place a landscape timber inside the fold and that anchors it down. When it is hot, I remove the landscape timber and clamp it open.

Too easy!!

Don't tell anyone, but DH had already attempted to build one and failed miserably. The wind caught the slack on his and ripped it to shreds. I just clamp any slack on mine to the wire edges and it stays put. I did add another brace on the inside that runs down the sides about midways up. The wind was pushing it in on the sides.

This was a last ditch effort before the first hard freeze.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 29, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #4606086

That white stuff looks like some kind of fabric. Do you have plastic and fabric stretched over the hog wire? One normally doesn't think about "hard freezes" occuring in Texas unless it would be in the upper panhandle. Where in Texas is Buffalo located?
charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #4606142

We really haven't had any hard freezes, but several nights in the 20's. I close the hoop house even for anything below 35, just to be on the safe side.

No fabric, just 6mil plastic doubled.

Buffalo, is just off 45 halfway between Houston and Dallas.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 29, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #4606162

Lovely everyone, I can just sit back and enjoy all the worderful works. Thanks for sharing here at DGarden.
Kim
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #4606909

Good idea on the hoop house. A friend is wanting to build one. I am going to tell her to come over here and look at yours. The plant hanger is too cute. I love a little something unexpected in the garden.

Just so you don't think I am all hammer and nails, here is a picture of one of three quilts that I finished this winter. This one is queen size. Hope everyone hasn't already seen it.

Betty

Thumbnail by picabo

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #4606936

Oh, that is beautiful quilt, Betty! I love the cute kitty faces and the bright, cheerful colors in it. How many hours does it take you to make a quilt like that? It must be very labor intensive.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #4607000

Thank You, I only work on needle work when I can't garden, I started on this one for DD several years ago. She moved and needed a smaller one so I put it up and made her another one. I finished this one this year.
The cutting and piecing on this one probably took about an hour per square = 9 hours
The borders about 2 hours
It was machine quilted and took about 8 hours
Misc. hand work about 3 hours.
If you don't count the couple of years sitting on the shelf, it took about
24 hours of actual work.

Here is another one that I enjoyed making, It was for a challenge at our quilt guild.

Thumbnail by picabo

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2008
2:50 AM

Post #4607067

Another beautiful quilt! I have never done any quilting but I used to do a lot of crocheting. I have an afghan that took me about 10 years to finish--in fact I still need to finish the border on it! LOL
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2008
3:48 AM

Post #4607342

Some projects take a little while to finish. I have an afghan with angels on it that I started crocheting about 10 years ago. I think I am 1/2 way finished. One day I just quit, need to finish it someday Maybe next year. LOL

charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #4608622

You are so talented and so patient. I am only patient with children and old people. I don't have patience with anything that is not finished faily quickly. I rarely tackle a project that takes hours and hours of intensive attention.

When I had the antique shop, I would make chandeliers for people that I would design for them. I used old chandelier and lamp parts. I was guilty of pulling all-nighters to get them finished cuz I hate to put something down that requires coming back later to finish.

That is a terrible trait to have, but I must confess, I have it. LOL
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #4609789

Whatever works for us is what is best.
I often keep a watercolor painting "going" on the dining room table, (when I am not using the table for sewing or just piling stuff. LOL) When I walk by I will tweak it a little here or there and let it sit to dry. Right now the cat is asleep on top of the painting. LOL Adding his "touch".
Betty
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #4609860

Charlene can't wait to see your lady all decked out in flowers.
Betty your quilts never cease to amaze me. I am a very poor hand sewer and I don't have the vision for putting fabrics together.

I always wished I had a room inside my house with a long long table so I could just move from one project to the next as I got bored working on each one. I would like it in the house because I could also do a little house work or laundy as a go. I have a friend that sews beautifully but hates picking up as she goes. When she build her new house she made a room only accessable through her walk in closet. That way noone ever knew how messy her sewing room way.

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #4610519

Cindy, I have never enjoyed house cleaning. Always something I would rather do. That room sounds great. That would be nice when an unexpected guest shows up at the door.
charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #4613865

Wow, everyone needs that kind of room. Don't even tell the kids about it and who knows what could take place in there. Surprises would not be spoiled. Christmas gifts would never get found. You could even assemble a bike in there and never get caught.

Best of all the messy person that I am, it would be wonderful to put all my "stuff" in. I think I have a-d-d because, I leave one project and pick up on another and leave that one and so on. I can't walk from one side of the house to the other without interupting my plans. I see something that needs doing and I will just completely abandon whatever I was in the middle of and there I go. It goes on with me like that all the time.

When I had my antique shop, I drove the girls that worked for me nuts. I would get them started on a project and then my attention would go elsewhere and I would pull them off the first thing and they were so nice about it. So nice that they threatened to tape my mouth and tie me to a chair when I would give them one project to do and I would try to pull them away. LOL Good thing we were all friends.

Having this problem that I have, it would be so nice to have a room for all my "projects". Hidden away from the world and I would never have to apologize for the table being buried, or the counter, or the sofa, etc. When company would come, I could pretend to be the neat person that I am really not ever going to be.

Charlene
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #4613916

Exactly Charlene that's why I would love to have that room. I too am easily swayed or ADD because the ideal room would have all those projects lined out so that one day they might get finished instead of company coming you gotta hide it all. After they leave you are over that inspiration and it stays hidden till you open a door somewhere and it falls out on you. Does this sound familar. I have put up my dip and grow and several seed packets that were sent to me somewhere at Christmas time when I had to get all the decor out. Haven't seen them since. I have searched all over. I am really good at hiding things. I always tell my guest donot open my closets because I am an unorganised packrat.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #4614641

My "Guest room" is my art studio. When the Grand kids come to visit overnight I have to tape all the doors and drawers shut. No telling what is in those drawers. LOL

When daughter or other adult overnight guest come all I have to do is clear all the projects off the bed. Oh! and chase the cat out of the room. LOL

That secret room would be wonderful. I do have my basement. Most people are afraid to go there. LOL ♫ ♫ ♫ Creepy music playing here.

Betty

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #4614678

LOL, Betty you don't give yourself enuf' credits. I've been there and your place is immaculate. I love your work shop too. But I have to admit, I was more "at home" when I was in your greenhouses. lol
Kim
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #4614800

My fence and gate I put up,put up more fence around on the other side of the workshop... I love working on my house. I am 53,and doing more than ever with the house.

Thumbnail by Pyewacketcat54

tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #4614837

You are my kind of women! Other women get candy and and such from their spouses on significant days. My DH gets me things like a baby cement mixer and small chainsaw. I got the alligator chain saw for Christmas and soon it will be warm enough for me to go out and play with it. Yippee!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #4614838

Whoever said women can't swing a hammer. Fantastic door and fence Pat your self on the back. Those doors are a whole lot harder than they look. I helped my husband build an encloure fence for our swimming pool at our last house. Hats off to you.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #4614845

I have my own chainsaw too. Ain't it fun.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2008
3:02 AM

Post #4614853

Love your gate The plant shelf on the side is nice too. Great way to display larger plants.
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #4614887

Friend Tommy built the plant table before he died,and though it's getting old and fragile, I can't bear to part with it,he made me a bunch of birdhouses,and my cats 2 cat trees,and the dogs a toy box,Tommy was a great guy,the zoo loved him.We miss him coming over and watching tv,having coffee,going to HD and Lowes,we'd spend hours... he was my bst friend.After he died,his friends made sure I got his tools,and now when I use one,I talk to him. But I do have a router I need him to show me how to work.LOL
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #4614924

I have a chainsaw "on a stick". Not many tools that scare me but the Chain Saw does. At least with my chain saw "on a stick" if there is a problem it is 10 feet away, not in my hand.

I get a kick when DH and I go to HD or Lowes and I ask some technical construction question. The "helper" turns to DH and starts to give DH the answer. DH will quickly tell them "Don't tell me, tell her, I don't know what you are talking about." Glad to hear there are more Women like me out there.

Betty
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2008
3:28 AM

Post #4614965

Pyewacketcat We posted at the same time.
Sorry about your friend Tommy. I understand what you are saying about talking to Tommy. I have many of my Fathers tools. Some I don't have a clue what they are supposed to be used for and wish he was still here to tell me.
It does make me feel closer to him when I use his things. Daddy would always shake his head and smile at me when I admitted that I didn't know how to do something. I can see him smiling down at me when I pick up some of his tools.
tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #4614972

I get the same thing at Lowes but not with the folks at Home Depot. Maybe explains why Lowes is my last choice when it comes to purchasing anything. I wonder if they know (or care) how much business they lose by having that kind of attitude.
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2008

Post #4614984

Betty, I know what you mean,the guys I talk to usually try to talk down to me,I really have an issue with that.And when I go to buy a tool,they think it is for my husband,and are surprised when I tell them it's for me.
My Christmas present to myself was an air compressor with three different nail/brad guns... and I found a cordless drill that has two batteries,now that is a good thing as Martha says...
And I put a pond in several years ago,here's a pic of the lilies my mother had given me for it.

Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #4614996

I think an older woman going into a HD or Lowes are not going to get the same attitude as a man,but we are growing in numbers,so maybe someone should clue them in.LOL
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #4615072

I told them. LOL Most of the older people working at Home Depot know me and treat me with respect, and not just as a little old lady. LOL

I need to make a picture of the kitchen cabinets that I installed. I went to HD and working with one of the kitchen people designed my new kitchen. While I was waiting for them to be delivered I tore out the old cabinets, moved out the appliances and capped off the plumbing pipes.

When the new cabinets were delivered I installed everything and redid the plumbing. I even figured out how to support the upper cabinets while I screwed them in place. I did have an electrician rewire everything. I don't like working with electricity, I figure I can mop up a plumbing mistake. LOL
I'll tackle most any project but I know it is IMPORTANT to know the limits of my ability.
Betty

Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2008
4:11 AM

Post #4615108

I hear that ,Picabo... I gutted the original bathroom,(1925) and while I wanted to try, the old plumbing was too much for me, a friend's husband did the work,replaced the floor,joists,walls,ceiling and plumbing,I only redid the old clawfoot tub,painted the outside and feet,and painted the walls and ceiling. The plumbing was so old,I wasn't going to try to move the things that needed to be moved, it is almost done though,and I just tore the old paneling and wallpaper off the hall outside of it.LOL
I usually have 3 or 4 projects going at once.The ADD thing I guess ...
You will have to answer some questions for me when I get to the kitchen! :)
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2008
4:26 AM

Post #4615205

Your bathroom sounds like a good project. I have often looked at our old 50s bathroom and though about replacing all of that old black and white tile. I always talk myself out of it. It would be like yours, it would have to be replaced back to the wall studs and floor joist. Mine is almost back in style anyway. LOL

Be glad to tell you anything I know. One big hint before you order your cabinets...
Carefully measure and then measure again using a different tape measure.

Betty
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2008
4:39 AM

Post #4615266

Betty,
I have thought about just removing the fronts,the original bones are there,but the man of the house who had a furniture building store put some fronts on in the 40's or 50's,they are warped and sagging,it was all a dark stain,and I just painted it all an off white to get some light in there,you couldn't see anything,it was so dark.I have talked to HD about the new doors,just haven't made my mind up yet.
Funny you should say your bathroom is black and white,I did the kitchen in that,and I did paint the tub gloss white with gloss black feet,almost did it all in B&W... I like it. The house was pretty much all country blue when I bought it,walls,carpet,trim. I have nothing against it,but it was way too much,I like whites,front porch is a yellow/white.kitchen is a tannish white,and the bathroom is a old white,with the walls being just boards running crossways,like it used to be,looks cool with the cracks,to me anyway,will take pics soon of the finished product.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2008
1:27 PM

Post #4616095

I had so few cabinets in the kitchen when I bought this house. I just needed to increase the cabinet space.
A neighbor had her kitchen redone about a month after I finished mine. She didn't need to add cabinet space, just update. The people who did hers (she had people, LOL) said that her cabinets were well made and she would save to only resurface the fronts and add new doors. Her kitchen was beautiful when finished.

My bathroom has that old white tile on floor and 3/4 up the walls. I used black wallpaper with little tiny pink flowers.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #4618134

When you ladies finish with your projects you can come on over to my house. I want to knock out part of the exterior wall (a brick wall) in our master bedroom, put in french doors and add a deck. Any takers? LOL The only problem would be my DH--he used to own his own construction company so he would forever be in the way trying to tell us how to do it! LOL Oh, I forgot to mention one other problem--money!!! LOL--again!
Love that fence, Pye!
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #4618258

I read something the other day that Ellen Bursteyn said,she used to try to tell man how to do something her way,now she just says,"well, isn't that interesting?" LOL
You can just see her saying that,if you remember her... try that on your DH's... :)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #4618402

Funny! but a good idea!!
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #4618605

marsue... Not sure about Pye, but I will never finish all my projects, be glad to help you anyway.
DH tells people I don't have Attention Deficit Disorder...
I have Attention Surplus Disorder. LOL

I finally got a chance to photograph my kitchen cabinets.

Betty
edited cause I can't spell or proof read.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2008 7:24 PM

Thumbnail by picabo

Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #4618904

Betty,
ROFL, I have told friends that if I don't dream,buy or start one more project,and I live to be 100,I might get it all finished...
And I have to tell ya,your kitchen is awesome,the cabinets are beautiful,proud to know a woman did it too.
I'll take a pic of the before of mine,but beware,be afraid.LOL They,it is a very old,neglected house,I say that the guy that did some of the work sniffed too much varnish in his day.. Good bones,but way too much cheap makeup.But I love it, and can see what it can be someday.My DH is my house,ha.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #4618981

Thank You Pye, Hard to make a picture, the room is so small. That is only one corner, just not enough floor space to photograph more. Somewhere I have a before photo. Really creepy music playing there. LOL

Betty
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #4619019

If I could put sound with the pic,it would play halloween music, I sometimes tell people to look for the haunted house,and they find it!
charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #4619506

Walls? Did someone say knock out walls? I love knocking out walls. That is absolutely therapy for me.

I had a sudden death in my family several years back and I tore down a whole shed. It was a fairly large and "well built, but very old" shed. It took me days and days of beating away, but I got it done. When I got down to the last part that would bring the roof down. I called for my brother (DH was out of town) to come over and help me cuz I was landing it between the well and the neighbor's fence. We hit a bullseye right down the center.

By the time I had finished it I could quit crying and move on. I had lost my father in March that year and my youngest brother died from an embolism the day before the turned 41. The building deserved every lick it took to bring it down. I was pretty mad at the world and that is where I took it out.

So, if you need to knock out a wall, call on me. I can "get 'er done". LOL

We moved before I got a new shed built. I helped DH build one here though. Don't tell him, but building is not his strong point. Gotta love 'em though.
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2008
3:32 AM

Post #4619681

After I bought the house,I found the original bathroom to be somewhat less than safe,sooooo... I started ripping it up,the floor was rotten under the toilet(that was so old it was the type that the tank hung on the wall) and got rid of all but the clawtub,which I stripped and repainted.That was in 2004. LOL A friend of mine's DH is a contractor ,and he gave me a great deal on helping with the redo,actually he did the most work,replumbed,put up the tin tile on the ceiling,put the wood walls up,layed the flooring,and set the tub,new pedestal sink and new toilet.I did the painting and finishing,I also took the burgular bars and ancient awning off the window(outside).Now.it's almost finished,and I have been tearing the stuff off the walls inthe hall...onwardho!!!! LOL
We can do anything we want to,my grandmother used to tell me, I only wish she could see me now...
Charlene, I hear ya on the shed,did that last year,it had to go,there was stuff in there I did NOT want to see,after 80 years,bones and skeletons (squirrels and such, I think)were found in the rubble.Did I tell you it was haunted?LOL

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #4619701

I had to search the thread when I saw the name Pyewacketcat on the forum...a name I haven't hear in years!...we had a siamese cat my Mother named Pyewacket when I was a kid. Just had to comment on it!!
Rj
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2008
3:41 AM

Post #4619723

I totally understand knocking down the shed. I think that was the passion behind building my deck alone. I just had to do it for Daddy.

We have someone else who needs to join our group. After My Father died, Mother sold her home and moved to a smaller place.

Mother and I went to the Bank to sign the papers closing the sale of her old house. The new owners left the Bank at the same time we did. Husband was off on a short business trip, wife was going to her new house.

I took Mother to her new home and then went to her "Old" house to pick up one more box. Well in the maybe 2 hour period since she signed the papers the new owner, a woman in her 30s, had knocked out the wall between the kitchen, Den and the enclosed back porch. The only problem, it was a support wall. She had to get in a contractor before the roof on their new house fell in. LOL That was the last of her remodeling for a while.
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2008
7:13 AM

Post #4620360

RJ,
It the siamese cat Kim Novak had in the movie"Bell,Bookand Candle" with James Stewart.
My grandmother and I watched it, she had siamese,the rest is history.LOL
This is my Pyewacket,and she for some reason fit the name when I got her,sister's name is Precious,brought them back with me from Alaska when I came back.Pye is the Blk&white.

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #4620682

Morning Pye. What beautiful kitties. My two don't touch except to slap or "Pounce" on each other.

DH just came in to see the cute picture of your kitties and said to tell you he lived in Ft Worth in '67.

Betty

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #4621038

How loving & beautiful they're!!! Betty, it's time you show off your 'Watermelon' and 'Pins'. :-)
Kim
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #4621213

At what age are we considered 'senior' women????? I'm not quite 50 - will be later this year. Do I qualify? I'll match anyone's arthritis - joint for joint!

Such talented women here! Betty, your deck and stone steps are amazing. And so inviting.
Riverland, I'm very impressed with your ability to create from scratch. The bed turned out beautifully. Your grandkids must be proud of you.
Marilyn, you do have a talent for floral arrangements. I enjoy making wreaths and arrangements, too.

Let's see ... how can I impress you??? I have a shotgun, rifle, .22, handgun and a fly rod! Does that count for anything?

My grandfather was a carpenter and I still love the smell of sawdust. I learned gardening and carpentry skills from him. I do know how to swing a hammer but, unfortunately, I don't have the strength or ability to lift anything very heavy due to this dang-burned arthritis and a bad neck so carpentry projects are left to DH.

Charlene, so your DH frustrates you, too? Mine is super smart, but doesn't have the natural instincts "SOME" of us have when it comes to construction. It's so hard to bite my tongue. We don't work well on carpentry projects together. LOL! A lot of it is simply because men don't think ahead like we do and then run into problems that could easily have been avoided. Ooops! That's the kind of comment I have trouble refraining from while working with DH.

Here are some of my floral creations. Lately I've been designing and sewing handbags but don't have any photos.

Debra

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #4621850

Debra amazing you definitely have talent there too. Thanks some of my fly by the seat of your projects don't turn out so good.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #4622488

Debra, Beautiful floral arrangements. Be sure and post pictures of your handbags when you have them ready. I understand what you are talking about with DH not thinking ahead. My DH says if we have a "project" I can do it it 45 minutes. If he helps it will take 2 hours. LOL Sad but true. LOL

Betty
charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2008
9:34 PM

Post #4622510

Gotta love 'em, but sometimes I wait until DH is out of site for a while to get a job done by myself in a hurry.

If I had to pick just one of those pretty arrangements, I'd be in trouble, cuz they are all Purrr-T.

If you have to ask if you are considered a senior, then you are one. We know when the worm turns. LOL

Of course we just age like whiskey, the older the better! I don't drink it, but I have always heard such.

This site is really turning into a fun place.
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2008
9:42 PM

Post #4622537

Yup! Thanks for starting this thread.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #4622680

Here is one of DH's favorite stories about me and one of my dumb mistakes...

(I know! You will find this Hard to believe since I always tell everyone
that I am MS Know it All, Do anything all by myself...LOL)

I was replacing a faucet in the basement. I turned off the water and cut off the copper pipe. I drained the line, cleaned all the copper, used the flux stuff and soldered on a new faucet (Like I have done many times).

Well I did something wrong, I turned the water back on and went back to check the faucet. There was a slight leak. I turned the handle on the faucet and the entire faucet came off in my hand. Water was spraying full pressure across the room.

The water shut off was two rooms away. I stuck my finger in the end of the pipe (Remembering the little dutch boy and the dyke) I started screaming for Roy who was upstairs watching TV. LOL

When he finally came to see what I was yelling about. It took him a few long minutes to decide if he was going to turn the water off or just let me stand there for a while.
As soon as I explained to him what was going to happen to him if he didn't turn it off Real Quick, he decided that it was in his best interest to turn it off.

Betty
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #4622840

He He ... how could he criticize when you were downstairs doing all that and he was "upstairs watching TV"? LOL!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #4622863

aaah..I always wondered where my Mom came up with that name..I'm going to have to watch that movie...Good looking Pyewackets you have!

Hi Picabo..

Rj
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #4623156

Hi RJ Bet the weather is getting beautiful in Houston. Rangoons starting to grow yet?

Betty
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #4623165

Hi Betty,
It's been a bizzare pattern of warm and cold. I think I've broken the door to the green house bringing things in and out!
Rangoons are just starting to grow, the Beaumontia grandiflora is budding though.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #4623193

I have decided that everything stays inside until May this year. I will be turning on the air in the GH by then. LOL
Things are already starting to grow in the GH. The plants know Spring is coming.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2008
12:33 AM

Post #4623212

LOL, yes last spring is still fresh in our mind huh?
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2008
12:50 AM

Post #4623270

Today was a sad day, They brought Brandy in and had her put to sleep.she had been sick for a long time,and had been in the ER all weekend.Her little heart was failing her,so while Doc and the Mr. were in the room, I sat with the Mrs. out in the waitng room,she couldn't be in there...I had groomed her every month for the last 7 years,and when you see a pet that often,they become yours,in a way. I had taken these pics a few months ago,I knew the time was coming,and I wanted to have some of her.She was a real sweetheart,and would do this little coo for a treat... I'll miss her.
This is the down side of working at a animal hospital, I do so many old and sick dogs,it hurts to lose em...

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #4623296

Sorry to hear that. On the upside, it sounds like the animal led a very blessed life with kind people in it!
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #4623367

I always hate to hear of the loss of a pet. At least it sounds like she was loved and had a good life.

Betty

This is my little Maltese "Kisses" that I lost and will never forget.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2008 7:21 PM

Thumbnail by picabo

Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2008

Post #4624054

What a sweetie,Betty... I bet she had your heart.Losing a loved one,2 or 4 legged,is always hard, we forget that it's not our decision,and want to hang on longer...
I have had Mollie only a couple of years,but being her size,I know she will have a shorter lifespan than smaller dogs,that's why I always tell her big girls need love too.I being 5'11" LOL
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2008
3:54 AM

Post #4624130

Poor Little "Kisses" was only two years old when she "left us", just a baby She only weighed about 2 pounds but we never told her that we though she was so small. She knew she was BIG in our eyes. :~))

Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #4624169

Ah... as much as I love my daughter, it's good to have furbabies to love on in her absence... she lives in Seattle,so we don't see each other as much as we want,we each make the trip once a year,so they do make my life better.
Tonight, everyone gets extra hugs...
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #4625266

Pye, little Brandy and her family were fortunate to have such a caring and supportive friend. I know you will miss her after grooming her for so long. DH and I have lost 2 of our 3 dogs in the past 10 months. Our basenji last May and our dobi/lab mix last month. Sugar had lymphoma and was declining rapidly. We had her put to sleep week before last before we had to leave town for a week. I couldn't bare to leave knowing she was likely to go into crisis while we were gone. I picked up her ashes yesterday.

On the subject of men and construction, my DH has a distinct way of dealing with his grief. With both dogs, once we knew their death was near, he went off to his shop and built them a 'resting box'. He didn't even tell me the first time and I happened to walk in as he was putting it away. When I saw what it was, we both broke down and cried. We later decided to have Sugar cremated so hers was not used, but I thought it was so sweet of him to do it for them.

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet

Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2008
10:58 PM

Post #4626966

Oh,I am so sorry for your losses too,seems they run in and grab our hearts and go too soon... doesn't it? I have lost alot of my old babies in the last several years,I'm a sucker for a fuzzy face,and boy they have me from the word go.My siamese was almost 17 when she had cancer,and I had to make that decision too.
Your babies would have had a belly full of treats with me! Such darling faces,you know they are angels for sure now.I always tell people ,I'm not above a bribe of a treat to get my way with them,LOL It works most every time,and we are all happy.
Your DH is as good as they get,that was an awesome thing for him to do,I'm sure it was cathartic too,in a way.You two are lucky to have each other..
I've had several clients and friends that have asked me to take their pets in,and be with them,they couldn't do it.I feel honored that they trust me enough,but it is really hard on me too.I am glad I can be there for them though...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #4627158

You "girls" sure make it hard to catch up! I've been away from this thread for just 2 days and look at all the chatter that's been going on!
Pye, it looks like you got right down to the dirt in that photo above! Your kitties are beautiful.
Debra, before I forget--you will know you are a senior when some kid at a fast food restaurant gives you a senior discount without you asking for it!!! LOL
Your arrangements are gorgeous! I forgot about the wreaths I have made but I usually change them with the seasons. It's time for me to make a new spring wreath for my exterior wall on the front porch. I'll take a pic once I get it done.
Betty, I am ROTFLOL at your story about you sticking your finger in the pipe! Also about the Attention Surplus Disorder! and your cabinets look great!!
Charlene, when I get the nerve (and the money) to do my remodel job in my bedroom, you will have the first chance to knock out the brick wall. ☺☺☺ Maybe if we had wood sheds these days and kids had to cut firewood, there wouldn't be so many school shootings--hard work is a good cure for getting rid of anger, sorrow or what have you. Oops, I temporarily forgot--no discussing current events!
Sorry about all the furry friends that have gone on to their final resting place. We lost a faithful friend in Oct. of 2002. Sometime after that, my DH was putting down a marble tile floor in our foyer and he pulled out the tile in this photo. It looked so much like our "Scruffy" that we were both amazed. I call this photo "Scruffy in marble". We placed the tile in the center of the foyer where you had to see it whenever you came in the front door. We sold that house in Oct. 2006, but Scruffy's memorial tile is still there.

Thumbnail by marsue

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #4627204

Sue, The small photo looks just like a dog portrait. Amazing.

Betty

I am getting itchy fingers for a new project. I am wanting to build an arbor over my Hot Tub on the deck. I will need at least 4 10 foot 2"x4"x12" lifted 7' up to the top of the post. That is going to be a fun project for an old lady.

Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4627220

Marsue,
That is so cool, too bad you couldn't take it with you. And yes, that is the dirt under the house,started with new joists and worked up to the ceiling,trying to finish my part to take pics...
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #4627242

Picabo, I hope you have one of those back braces! You will have help,seriously??
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #4627261

That is an amazing formation in the tile! That must have been Scruffy letting you know he will always be with you.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2008
1:24 AM

Post #4627550

Yes, Debra, we thought so, too. Now I wish we had not used the tile and kept it for ourselves.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2008
6:35 AM

Post #4628626

Pye, We will see. LOL
I am thinking I can pre-drill the holes on one end then raise and clamp that end, insert the bolt then raise and clamp the other end. I have lots of big clamps. It really seems like a simple project. Just some big pieces. I want to put flower boxes on top of the arbor with trailing plants.

I may not get to do it this Summer, but don't hurt to start drawing out the plans.

Betty
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2008
11:36 AM

Post #4628837

Once a year,or so, I go through my magazines and cut out the articles,pics,and other things I want to keep,then recycle the rest.I offer the ones that people might want to read around to friends.Except for my gardening magazines,those I have a hard time giving away or cuting up.I have some of my Mothers old water gardening ones,keep thinking I should pick a couple of pics ,maybe frame them,and recycle them too.You all know how easy it is to get stacks of catalogs,magazines,etc...I'm trying to simplify,and keep the papers in notebooks.Anyway,my point is, I keep plans I've drawn,and the rest in notebooks,with dividers fo the different areas...it helps with the clutter here.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #4629032

I do the same thing with the notebooks Just not the dividers. Good idea.

I keep ALL my old gardening Magazines. In the Fall when I start getting ready for Halloween and Christmas decorating I put the Garden magazines in the closet.
As soon as the Christmas decorations are put away. I pull the magazines out and pile them on the table Always fun to bring out the piles of "new" gardening magazines.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #4629111

My DH is wanting to make an apartment in a warehouse we own in another county so he has started collecting pages from magazines and those free books you can get at Home Depot which feature windows, doors, kitchens, etc. I found a thick notebook for him this weekend and started tearing out pages rather than keeping the whole magazine or pamphlet. He and I will have these to refer to when/if we ever do get started on that particular project. It's a good way to keep things organized, as both of you have said, Betty and Pye.
Today I think I will drag out my big grapevine wreath and start putting a spring wreath together. We are under a winter storm watch tonight and tomorrow so it will give me something to do inside that will remind me that Spring, hopefully, is just around the corner. LOL
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #4631292

Not so much spring here,took me 1 1/2 hrs to get Jackie(one of my grooms )home and to get home,roads closed and had to turn around and go the long way...I miss Alaska.LOL

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #4631571

Not good Pye, Beautiful snow. That is the thing about the south, we don't get enough snow here to learn to drive in it. They close schools here when they predict snow. I am the worst, I don't even try to walk when it's icy.

Tell me about Jackie one of your grooms. How many grooms do you have?? We only get one here.

Just kidding, you must have horses.

Betty

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #4631864

LOL, Betty!
Pye, your snow is headed our way--coming in tonight--perhaps 4-6 inches and up to 12 inches in the higher elevations! Ugh!!

I didn't get started on my spring wreath. DH had cabin fever so we got out of the house for a while today since we may be snowed in tomorrow.
However, here is a pic of a different kind of wreath I made. I picked up all but a few of these shells at Holden Beach, N.C. when on vacation several years ago.

Thumbnail by marsue

charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #4631884

Hey, I could use an extra groom.
My groom (DH) that I have now could take care of the cows.

My extra groom could do the lifting when I need something like Picabos project done.

If the extra groom could have an extra bride, then she could clean house while I work on all of the planter boxes, plants, misc. projects etc. LOL!!

charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #4631889

Now, that's a cool looking wreath.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #4631987

LOL, charlene, re: the extra groom and bride!! ☺☺☺

Thanks for the compliment on the wreath. After I got the shells glued on, I sprayed it all with a clear acrylic spray to make it shine. Naturally, I have it hanging in the bathroom!
charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #4632013

Of course Pyewacket we know what kind of grooms you mean. Just had to make a play on words.

I don't get it, you are having cold stormy weather and you are longing for Alaska?

When it gets like it is here today, I wish I were in south Florida.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2008
3:11 AM

Post #4632026

Sue, Pretty wreath, thanks for sharing. I have a box of shells that I bought at a couple of yard sales. Never decided what I would do with them. That would work.

Yes, I would want the bride and the groom. Think of all the house work she could do while he was doing the heavy lifting. I'll take a young, good looking groom, then I have something fun to watch while I kick back and relax. The bride can be ugly. Wouldn't want her to disturb DH when he is working at the computer. LOL

Betty
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #4632099

LOL, Betty--you mean thing, you!!

About shells: you can also glue smaller shells around a picture frame and then put a photo in the frame that you took at the beach.
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2008
11:53 AM

Post #4633055

Youall are funny...sorry, I went to bed early last night,still feeling the flu ,and the drive home wore me out,plus trying to hurry getting everyone done yesterday so they could get them and get home.
Jackie belongs to Mrs.Hussey(really) she 90 yrs old, and we had taken to a p/u and del. service for her,she fought it at first,but I just tell her I'm coming ,so no arguing... the sweetest little lady you ever met,she is the grandma we all would want.
When I moved to Alaska, I found out more about myself,than I ever will the rest of my life, it was the best thing,I loved the challenges,and finding I was alot tougher than I thought.
That's why I long for I long for Alaska when it gets like this,I want to chop some wood,build a fire,haul some water,I had a cabin that I loved,until you go there ,it's hard to explain how it gets to you.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #4643072

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/818332/#new
Please check out our friend Fitsy's artwork.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America