Handy Senior Women Cook, Sew, Plant, Build, Decorate

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

This thread is for women who know that you are not supposed to "choke" up on the hammer.

Also, for women who wear many hats: Chef, Housekeeper, Wife, Mother, Seamstress, Handyperson, Decorator, Gardener, etc.,etc.etc...

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Oh what a great idea. I will repost my bed story over here. Betty please post your deck pictures for everyone to see.
My last large project was a bed I made for my granchildren in my home. I wanted a twin bed with a hidden trundle that would pop up to become a king size bed. I didn't have any plans other than that vision in my head. I'm sure you are familar with that. I used the trundle frame for dementions and winged it from there. It turned out nice and works well when I need an extra bed. My grandson loved it. He said" Nona ,you made me a couch for my room." Natually being the oldest grandchild everthing that goes in that room is his.
As with you my health keeps me from building all the things I have visions to do. I am blessed by God to be able to do the things that I can do so I am not complaining.
I know a lot of you have seen this picture so bear with me as I post it again

Thumbnail by Riverland
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I am a Senior woman, and I have a hammer.
I have always loved to build, and create things. I helped my X build our horse barn and fence our farm. There are very few things that I haven't tried to do. I love to cook, quilt, sculpture and paint.

The summer I turned 60 I designed and built a deck on the front of our house. I also found the stones and built the stone stairs and walk way leading to the deck.

I know lots of you have seen these pictures, but here is another one.

Come on Senior ladies. Lets see some of your projects.

Betty
This photo is part of my sidewalk and the front entrance to the deck.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Cindy, that is a beautiful bed and you should be proud of yourself for making it! My carpentry skills do't go that far but I DO know how to hold a hammer correctly! and I never measure when I hang pictures--just "eyeball" it. My DH, on the other hand, gets out the laser level and the stud finder, etc., etc., typical male that he is--LOL. The pictures I hang are always right where I want them, though.
I am an accomplished seamstress but I don't have much occasion to exercise my knowledge as far as sewing goes, anymore. The girls that I used to sew for are all grown up now--much too "sophisticated" for home-sewn clothing. I still hem up pants for my granddaughter because almost everything she buys is too long in the legs (like me).
I do have an eye for decorating and I enjoy it thoroughly and I have made every flower arrangement in my house. I have to leave in a few minutes but when I get back later this afternoon, I will post some photos of some of my the arrangements I have made. You girls have a good day!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Betty--where is the photo? LOL

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

LOL, I can Hammer, Saw, and all that stuff. Did I say "My computer skills are lacking"? LOL

I couldn't find the photo I wanted to post, here is another one.
Betty

Thumbnail by picabo
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I love Betty's home and garden especially when I get to see them in person (thank you, Betty for having us visiting your lovely home), everything are charming, and most of all are made with love.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Marilyn thanks please post your pictures I would love to see them.

I didn't even know there was a handyman forum.
My next picture is my bed. I bought a sleighbed that I always wanted. When I put in my room with ten foot ceilings it just did not look good. It was just too short. I made the canopy , sewed the bedspread , pillows ect. After I had finished I found the border online that exactly matched (was I lucky)

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

This is a close up of the canopy You can see it is made of simple materials. The carved wood came off a Stienway piano.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, Cindy, right up there with the Master decorator! And so talented. My hat is off to y'all.
Kim

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Betty your gardens look so intimate. Just love looking at your pictures. Mine will never look like yours. We have too much open spaces and I only started late on it in 2006.
I can just dream .

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Bed Cindy!

DH is pacing, I think he is wanting me to give him the puter LOL
Back later.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Thank You Kim I used to like doing that but now spend all my time gardening.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Betty I am off to get something done too.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm going to dress up like Eskimo and heading outside. Will catch up later. :-)
Kim

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm following y'all over from the other thread. I just love looking a home craft projects. Especially woodworking ones, home decor and those things made from materials you just have laying around the house.
I don't have much to offer for conversation since I'm not much of a builder. I am working on the ideas for building my own greenhouse tho.
If hammering nails in the wall counts, here's a picture of my great grandmother's picture she crafted out of burn end kitchen matches back in 1924. I treasure this picture so much that I used her oxen yokes to sorta frame it on my wall.

I am enjoying looking everyone's handy work. It sure is inspirational.

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I love that Deborah and I would surely treasure it too. Cindy

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Cindy.

I love the way you are creating Heirlooms for your future great grands.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I will try to dig up a picture of the old rope bed I rescued from destruction. My nearly two year old grandaughter now has it in her room in their new home. I used to have it in the spare bedroom. Once the grandkids came along there was need for more space in there thus the single bed above. Both of my DILs love to have things that were part of their husbands past. I don't have any trouble passing things down. I am blessed.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Betty, I love your garden, the path and the wooden steps. Did you make those steps?
Cindy, the bed canopy is just gorgeous. You were correct in adding some height to the bed that way--very effective. It's great that you were able to find the border that matched so perfectly! Looking forward to seeing the rope bed.
Deb: What a wonderful heirloom treasure you have in your grandmother's picture that she made from kitchen matches. That is amazing!!.

Here is one of my flower arrangements. I saw something very similar to this at Hobby Lobby several years ago. It was about $125.00, if memory serves me right. I waited until the vase and silk flowers were on sale and made my own for a total of $40.00! I used a coat hanger as the "form" to get the proper shape and just hot-glued the flowers onto it. The coat hanger is stuck into a styrofoam base which is hot glued to the inside bottom of the container. The arrangement is double-sided because I originally had it sitting on a sofa table which faced the foyer of our home and you could also see it from the front of the couch.(The back of the couch and the back of the sofa table were pushed up to one another.)

Thumbnail by marsue
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful! That was a smart idea to wait and so creative to do it yourself. I know you enjoy it more knowing you made it too. I am feeling really inspired here.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Wow you really are talented Marilyn that is beautiful. I cannot do flowers and it is so frustrating to me. But I do love to see others work. Cindy

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ah, but you can build beautiful beds, Cindy! We all have our own special talents and gifts and it is so nice to be able to share our photos with one another. I'm looking forward to seeing photos from some of you other "senior women" who haven't posted yet.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Cindy, You are so lucky to have the DiLs to pass things on to. I don't know what will happen to all my "treasures". I have always been the family "Pack Rat". I have an old Fiddle that a great GGG Grandmother played for the soldiers to practice marching before the Civil war. So much other "Stuff" LOL
I love the carved wood from the old Steinway piano. I just took apart an old cabinet. Most of the wood was junk, but after I let DH saw it into little pieces I discovered all the trim on it was walnut. Bummer. LOL
You will be surprised at how fast your gardens will fill in.

We are on the side of a hill and not a lot of gardening room around the house but more than I need. The picture that I posted is of the stone walkway that I built leading to the deck The stone steps were "fun" finding the right size rocks to make the step work out the way I wanted.

Cordele, My Grandmother had a picture made with from some type of wood. Been a long time since I saw it, seems she called it "Tramp Art" that doesn't really sound right.

Marilyn, I love your flower arrangement. Hand me a bouquet of flowers and I don't have a clue what to do. I did build the wooden steps in the picture, they lead onto my deck.

Here is a picture of the other end of my deck.

Betty

Thumbnail by picabo
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Betty outstanding work. I know you enjoy sitting out there. I love the steps and know first hand how difficult that is. I did a lot of brickwork at my last house and the bricks were filler bricks used inside the chimney so they were never even but they made beautiful pavers at a lot lower price. Tramp art is from the depression. The drifters would make things and sell or trade them for food or other essentials. Does you daughter or daughter in law have no interest in your treasures? I know you have lovely things because I have seen them in the backgrounds of your pictures. I am very blessed and I know it.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Betty, that deck is just beautiful and the surrounding foliage, too. We have very few trees in our yard except for the ones we have planted this past year: some crepe myrtles and flowering plums. We are in a new house in a fairly new subdivision that was formerly a dairy farm. Therefore, not many trees--just a few big oaks scattered here and there. We were not lucky enough to get a lot that had one of those big oaks on it. Along our back fence is a pin oak but it is still fairly small and there are a couple of wild pear trees but they aren't pretty. I do so love the plants like hostas, etc., that like to grow in the shade but there are plenty of plants out there that like sunshine and lots of it, too.

I have heard of "Tramp Art" on the Antiques Roadshow program on public television. I'm not sure what it consists of, though.

Here is another of my flower arrangements. This one needs to be re-worked because my DH accidentally knocked it over. Some of the flowers aren't in the right position. The large dark rose-colored flowers were a light peach color when I first made the arrangement several years ago. When we moved into this house last year, I didn't want the peach color anymore. I bought a 58-cent bottle of rose-colored fabric paint and took a small artist's brush and just painted them. Voila! I had a new flower arrangement! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

You are really good at those I am jealous. They can really make a room meld together..

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Another beautiful arrangement, I wish I could do that, I am Not a decorator. That is so smart to paint the flowers, No way I would have thought to do that.
Daughter loves all the old things but she has no children to pass things on to. I am sure she will take everything that she can and give it a loving home. One son loves the old things especially my Grandfathers old books, some from the 1800s His wife has no interest, but that may change before I get finished with them. LOL Other son and his wife have no interest in the old things. I tell him he is not my child. LOL

I don't know what happened to GMs old art. She had lots of old depression things. She had some old chairs that had new seats put in during the depression. Daddy said that she paid a quarter to have the whole set done.

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Cindy post pictures of your candle holders you made, they are so neat.

I love all the pictures we have a lot talented people here on DG, I can make a good mess, does that count? LOL

Ruth

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I will Ruth I never thought about those. You can do many things Ruth. Growing things that no one else can get to grow.

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

I used to own an antique shop and still have a ton of stuff left from it. I kind of specialized in antique lighting. I like to take old lamps and chandeliers and get inventive with them.

Today, I took an old Schlitz beer lamp and turned it into a cool hanging plant holder. I will photograph it tomorrow and put it on here.

I painted it white (over a bronze looking finish). It is a woman that was holding something (missing when I bought it) in her hand that was obviously a lamp globe as it has the part still attached where you would screw the socket on. It also had a light in the bottom.

Well, I buried the bottom so it would support a small hanging basket. The part that had the screw on it worked great to screw on an old chandelier arm. The arm had a curl on the end which reminded me of a plant hanger, so I of course attached the arm and hung a plant where the lamp part would normally be. You would never know it was a Schlitz beer lamp as there is absolutley nothing to indicate that. I assume the globe that she would be holding had the logo on it and the bottom part on the base had a logo, which I buried.

It is too cool! Of course I would think that, but tomorrow, I will let you guys decide.

Charlene

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Hurry up with that photo, Charlene! I am very eager to see it.--Your candleholders, too, Cindy! I'm standing here jumping from one foot to the other waiting to see those photos! Well, not really-I'm actually sitting here at my computer--I'm too old to jump from one foot to the other for very long! --LOL

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

Here she is:

Thumbnail by charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is my hoop house. I had to have the guys help me with it, but it is my plan. It only took about and hour and a half.

Thumbnail by charlenesplants
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Beautiful! you should be proud of your new "plant hanger"--It is definitely one of a kind!

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

Well you would never know she was once advertising Schlitz beer. Thanks for the compliment. I knew I would find a use for her one day.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

What a neat "hoop house". That looks like what we call "hog wire" which you bent to shape. Is that correct?

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

It is four landscape timbers in a square 8x8. Then a 2x4 nailed onto each of two ends and a 1x4 attached at the top to connect the two 2x4's. The only cuts were made to brace the two by fours to the landscape timbers. I added four t-posts driven into the ground at the middle of the four braces because we get some pretty lofty gusts of wind here. I connected the t-posts with wire around the braces.

Then I put the hog wire over the top and nailed it to the landscape timbers on the side. I then folded the 6mil plastic so it was doubled and put it over the top and folded in one end and anchored it down with a 1x2 rolled up in the plastic and nailed to the timber. I left the fold end on the side where it is opened. When it is needed I place a landscape timber inside the fold and that anchors it down. When it is hot, I remove the landscape timber and clamp it open.

Too easy!!

Don't tell anyone, but DH had already attempted to build one and failed miserably. The wind caught the slack on his and ripped it to shreds. I just clamp any slack on mine to the wire edges and it stays put. I did add another brace on the inside that runs down the sides about midways up. The wind was pushing it in on the sides.

This was a last ditch effort before the first hard freeze.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

That white stuff looks like some kind of fabric. Do you have plastic and fabric stretched over the hog wire? One normally doesn't think about "hard freezes" occuring in Texas unless it would be in the upper panhandle. Where in Texas is Buffalo located?

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

We really haven't had any hard freezes, but several nights in the 20's. I close the hoop house even for anything below 35, just to be on the safe side.

No fabric, just 6mil plastic doubled.

Buffalo, is just off 45 halfway between Houston and Dallas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images