High Protein Foods

Florence, AL

Has anyone ever cooked lentils or quinoa before? I'm trying to watch what I eat and get my chloestrol down. These foods are suppose to be high in proteins, to keep you full. My dr suggested this to me.
Any help???????

mulege, Mexico

I've cooked lots of lentils. They make good soup. Also dal, if you like Indian food.

They take about the same length of time to cook as brown rice.

Are you looking for specific recipes? If so, check out recipezaar or some of the other recipe sites. That's what I do when Ii''m looking for ways to use a new ingredient.

With both lentils and quinoa I'd cook up a plain batch so you can see what they taste like "au natural." Then start playing with additions, toppings, etc.

I think lentils are kind of an accquirerd taste. Even if your first reaction isn't positive give yourself time to experiment with then.

katiebear

Florence, AL

Thanks, katiebear
I make alot of split peas soup and didn't know if that was about the same or not.

mulege, Mexico

Very similar. If you like pea soup you'll proably like lentils.

kb

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

We use quinoa. It is a great breakfast cereal. Rinse the grain before cooking. I use a seive to rinse. I put quinoa in soups and add to meatloaf and sometimes mix it in with the homemade yeast breads I make.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

My doctor told me many years ago ago to drink Metamucil within 2 hours either way of a meal and it will absorb the fats and expel them before they can be absorbed by the body.

Fish oil is also good for lowering cholesterol. One of my friends is on it per her doctors orders. She started at 1000 mg a day then moved up to 3000 mg. per day.

Oatmeal is suppose to be great for lowering cholesterol.

Any high fiber food is good for it really. I don't know how eating more protein would lower cholesterol.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2008 6:05 AM

Florence, AL

I think the extra protein was for me not to eat a bunch of junk. Can't help that sometimes.LOL

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

THANKS for this thread!!!! i have started eating hot oatmeal for breakfast and remember when I used to add Quinoa to it...just before i would go out on a Sailboat Race in winter. Kept me charged and full!!!

How do you cook yours, Suze?

Lentils are great!!! love them! cooked anyway!!!

Carol

Carol, we just pour the grain slowly into boiling water or add it to soups. When we have it for breakfast, Bud likes his with butter and honey. I like mine with half & half and brown sugar. We have also served it with fresh fruit and honey. I know that is the healthier option but I don't always do what I should!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OK..I think i remember now...isn't it 1c water to 1c quinoa? I love the crunchyness of it with the oatmeal!!! It was fun, in Ecuador, buying it from the Otovalo Indians who, I think, first grew it eons back!

Happy eating!

Carol, cook it like rice: 2 cups of water to 1 cup of grain and don't forget to rinse the grain first it the box doesn't say "pre-rinsed."
Quinoa was grown for thousands of years by the Andeans. The Incas called it "mother of all grains" and it was a sacred grain to them. Spainards supposedly scorned quinoa because it was "indian food" and used in non christian rituals.
Quinoa is a complete protein, contains 12-18% protein, is gluten free, high in fiber and has phosphorus, iron and magnesium. If you like sprouted grains, it will sprout in water in 2-4 hours.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Calalily, thank you for the information on the quinoa(kee-wan). A friend of mine tried to grow it. She said it looked just like Lamb's Quarters. I did some online research and found out they are 1st cousins.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

4 days ago I made lentils with tomatoes, carrots, peppers etc. and we had it with rice. Bob had it for lunch one day. Last night I stretched it out, with fresh vegies and some barley and made soup. Having it for lunch today too. That is a lot of meals with one batch of lentils....

Must get some more Quinoa...it IS so good!!

C

(Bev) Wytheville, VA(Zone 6a)

We love quinoa and use it in place of rice in a bunch of recipes. I also replace a small portion of bread flour with quinoa flour. Quinoa is higher in a lot of nutrients that some other grains don't have.

I put/hide lentils and barley in almost all my soups for the nutrition, fiber and taste benefits, yummm.

Here's some links I found helpful for nutritional info on various foods:

- Nutrition & info for quinoa:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=142
- Nutrition content of Amaranth, Buckwheat, Millet, Oats and Quinoa:
http://waltonfeed.com/self/ntr2.html
- Nutrition & info for lentils:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=52#nutritionalprofile

We were surprised at all the great tasting things we had missed out on until we started experimenting with healthier foods... hope you have good experiences, too.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2008 1:25 AM

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Thanks for the links....great information!!!!

Sydney, Australia

High fibre to keep you full and to absorb the fats is the way to go ...too much protein is not good for you it strains the kidneys ...good whole grains and lots of fruit and veg with plenty of fibre ...best way to start the day is with the porridge or any whole grain cereal served with 4/5 prunes or even dates or raisins (cook with the porridge). Replace milk with skim milk powder mixed to your taste (it tastes richer if you use more powder ...use w/grain breads and crackers eat lots of salads, legumes.W/grain toast topped with baked beans and a sprinkle of parmasan cheese will give you heaps of fibre and flavour ...baked potatoes in their jacket with good fillings such as tuna/baked beans just about anything low fat are good fillers.In Australia they have discovered that eggs don't harm so check with the doc but you can have 2 eggs three times a week.
Good luck ...get healthy.
chrissy

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Hi, Chissy. Thanks for all the good reminders. I knew this info but have somehow stopped using some of them for unknown reasons. I eat a lot of w/grain toast with p.butter for breakfast. Also cereals made with dry milk powder. I've been using that for years. Added it to my homemade breads when the children were home. I used barley some but my hubby didn't care for it much so I only used it occasionally and then in soups. We love brown rice. It's the only kind I will use. I like dried fruits for snack tho I have to admit I don't use them as much as I should. I'm more apt to grab some crackers and p. butter. Don't have good front teeth and no back teeth at all so eating some things is difficult.

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

I love lentils. I cook them just like you would split peas. I made lentil chili (made up) and it tasted great. You can add them to homemade soups also. I personnally like them with just salt and pepper.

Sydney, Australia

Don't forget with cholesterol it is mostly from hard fats ...mainly meat and dairy. Our doctors now say that we also make our own cholesterol and some make more than others. Stress and worry prompt this and also a no fat diet . Our brain has a lot of cholesterol and requires it. The safest thing to do is make sure you cut out the bad fats and limit the good fats to 3 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil. Peanut butter is handy ...but peanut oil is linked to macular degeneration and blindnessif taken in excess. Tahini would be a better choice on the w/grain bread and crackers ...if you don't have a weight problem cook up some dates with some orange juice and make a paste of that. Mashed banana on the crackers/w ...grain toast, stewed fruit like apple,rhubarb, pears ...they all make a nice fruit spread and add vitamins and fibre to your intake. Watch the crackers they often have that nasty fat in them ...up to 20/30 grms per 100grms and that will push the count up. I cared for a relative (12 years) with diabetes and many health issues when she came into my care ...she did not need any medications after a few months with me ...she refused to put her teeth in and so I had a tough time sorting that out ...but she had low fat yoghurt with stewed fruit as snacks. A high fibre cereal with stewed fruit for breakfast, w/meal toast fingers with a good hearty minestrone (she soaked the toast in the soup) .Dinner was pasta or soup ...followed by yoghurt and fruit. Winter was stewed fruit with homemade low fat custard.
Supper 2/3 arrowroot biscuits with warm skim milk and teas of honey. This lady passed away recently and that was pancreatic cancer the Doctors say this regime gave her many extra years of life ...she was 82. Don't fear food make it your friend.
chrissy

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

My Traditional chinese Medicine practitioner told me to not eat bread made w/wheat........told me to use spelt. I make spelt bread in my bread machine.........oh, my, is it yummy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images