Photo by Melody

Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It): Just what I needed (sob!)

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It)Replies: 5, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Fleurs
Columbia, SC

February 27, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #4597424

Usually a fanatic about winter sowing, I've tried getting a head start this year with some tender annuals only to discover some ruined plantlettes. Instinctively, I removed the humidity dome and won't replace it until I've made some holes in it. I'll also try the hydrogen peroxide solution.

One question: once a few seeds have succumbed to damping off, will the other little cells be okay? (Please say "Yes").
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #4597547

It's hard to say for sure without knowing if your potting mix has a pathogen issue... but I am guessing that your problem had more to do with overly wet/humid conditions. I'm glad you didn't lose all of your seedlings!

Once germination has occurred, most seedlings don't seem to need the extra protection of a humidity dome (with or without holes). Since you've already encountered problems, I'd suggest trying to do without it, especially once you see germination.

A fan for extra air circulation and bottom watering will also help.

Good luck!
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2008
1:17 PM

Post #4658006

Jill, Great article. I should have read all this before I started my seedlings. I was almost afraid to read about damping off, figured if I didn't know about it, I wouldn't worry about it. My little seeds that are up look good (hollyhocks, MG's, basil), but the earliest ones were only planted 3/06/08. I don't have lights. Mine are in the garden room by the south facing windows. I try to turn them a couple times a day so they don't get the major leans. I've grew tomato seeds of heritage types in the past and had almost 100% germination of probably 20 different types in 2" peat pots, transplanted into 4" peat pots. I put them outside before work and took them in again after work for about 30 days. That was the year of my tomato forrest. I didn't do it a second time because it was in the front yard and looked like a jungle. None of the neighbors commented, but I kept expecting to get a letter from the Home Owners Association.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #4658636

I've done the "tomato forest" thing! The past couple of years, I've followed Carolyn's advice and started seeds just 8 weeks before setting out... I only need to put them in 2 inch pots, and they're not so huge and hard to deal with!

Putting them outside on mild days for "real" light is probably even better than using fluorescent lights... but I was stunned at the difference when I switched from windowsill growing to putting seedlings under lights. I thought my window was bright! LOL

Good luck with all your little seedlings!
Fleurs
Columbia, SC

April 1, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #4741104

Wouldn't putting fragile seedlings outdoors for the light burn them instead?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #4741409

You just can't put them into full bright sunlight for 10 hours on their first day out... letting them adapt gradually is the key (aka "hardening off").

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very good info Lindawalkabout 14 Feb 25, 2008 3:30 PM
Shelf life daylilydaddy 5 Feb 7, 2008 4:58 PM
Thanks so much! kd2000 3 Feb 7, 2008 7:49 PM
A timely article pamsaplantin 4 Mar 4, 2008 6:19 AM
Newbie here with a few questions Berrywrap 3 Apr 11, 2008 8:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America