Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: V for Victory - Victory Garden That Is!: Victory garden

Communities > Forums > Article: V for Victory - Victory Garden That Is!
bookmark
Forum: Article: V for Victory - Victory Garden That Is!Replies: 8, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Superlec
Loughman, FL

February 27, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #4597542

This was a much ballyhooed term used to get you off your (sitting tool) and plant a truck type garden. If the general population seriously began to feed themselves then the government could divert some of the food infrastructure to the war effort.
In the early forties food was becoming a BIG business quickly. Using those resources could really help! Remember, fertilizer, weed, and bug control were still natural, not bought at the garden department. One could purchase the requisite seed at the hardware or general store, along with the shovel and rake. (What tiller?)
Growing your own can be delightful! Fresh cucumbers, yum. Green beans. Tomatoes?
Now I have to protect my pineapple patch from a possible frost tonight.

Chuck
Aunt_A

March 1, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #4606637

Superlec:
Pineapple patch!!!!! I keep telling my husband we need to move somewhere warm where I can grow pineapples, avacados, oranges, coconuts and pomegrantes. Sounds like a great life.
Well...enjoy some nice fresh pineapple for all of us!
jakelegs
Baton Rouge, LA

September 24, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5593301

Don't forget the lemons and bananas! My boyfriend is from NY and even though he hates the south he says our lemons are 3 times as big and sweet. A single pineapple takes forever to grow, but they are so beautiful.
Aunt_A

September 25, 2008
5:29 AM

Post #5596668

Yum! Sounds great! So you can grow all these in Baton Rouge?

I just looked at lemons in the store here yesterday and passed them up; too expensive, too little and in too bad of shape. My VitaMix wanted to make some fresh whole lemon lemonaid.

:-)

April
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #5597191

April - you cna grow lemons in Tulse... if you can keep the cats away ^_^
Aunt_A

September 25, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #5598126

I might try growing citrus inside again; sounds great. (I really want a greenhouse or back patio that doesn't look tacky...but no $$ for that...oh well.)

:-)

Love,

Aunt April
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #5598136

Start looking for windows on Freecycle or craigslist - it can happen.
Aunt_A

September 25, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #5598173

Cool...do you have an article about building a greenhouse w/ used windows? I need one that looks nice, in case we sell our house.

Aunt April
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2008
9:04 PM

Post #5599064

I dont myself - But somewhere I have images of one done... dmail me and I will let you know where to see a few pics.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: V for Victory - Victory Garden That Is! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very nice article Dutchlady1 5 Feb 24, 2008 11:53 PM
why did we forget how? carrielamont 32 Mar 1, 2008 4:47 PM
To WWII allies! KashtanGeorge 3 Feb 25, 2008 11:20 AM
Victory Gardens Dollykat 5 Feb 29, 2008 1:48 PM
How I started smaepollard 1 Mar 1, 2008 1:19 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America