Photo by Melody

Article: Can’t Grow Bell Peppers? Here’s a Ringing Endorsement for Some Alternative Sweet Pepper Varieties: Gypsy Pepper seeds from Critter, at cost

Communities > Forums > Article: Can’t Grow Bell Peppers? Here’s a Ringing Endorsement for Some Alternative Sweet Pepper Varieties
bookmark
Forum: Article: Can’t Grow Bell Peppers? Here’s a Ringing Endorsement for Some Alternative Sweet Pepper VarietiesReplies: 52, Views: 377
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
5:16 AM

Post #4599407

When I placed my TGS (Tomato Grower’s Supply) order this year, I bought a bulk packet of ‘Gypsy’ hybrid sweet pepper seeds, so that I could share them at cost.

I have 10 bubble envelopes ready to go, each containing 1 packet of ‘Gypsy’ pepper (15 seeds) and a bonus packet of ‘Sweet Pickle’ pepper seeds saved from my garden. The seeds will go out to the first 10 people to post on this thread and get payment to me by the end of next week, one offer per person. US DGers only, please, to keep this simple.

You can either mail me $1.81 in loose postage (four 41 cent stamps plus one 17 cent stamp)
or make a $2.17 Paypal payment to me.
Please tell me which way you would like to pay. I will send you Dmail with my street address or with my PayPal address.

Cost details, for anybody who wants to know: My cost (not including shipping from TGS) worked out to about 5 ½ cents per seed, so I made up “sampler” packets of 15 seeds that people could have for the price of two first class stamps (82 cents). I am not making any money on these seeds, just offering to share them at a good price. Think of it as a mini co-op. (A packet of 30 seeds from TGS is $3.10 plus shipping.) A new bubble envelope costs me about 41 cents (another first class stamp), and return postage is 58 cents. PayPal charges 30 cents plus 3%, adding 36 cents to the total if you’re paying that way (slightly cheaper then mailing me postage in payment).

list of participants (will be updated as payment is received and packets are sent out):

1. Danita -- received, mailed 3/6
2. Debsroots -- received, mailed 3/6
3. bhaugh -- received, mailed 3/13 with mother of thousands
4. Jayne_a -- received, mailed 3/5
5. Sharkey -- received, mailed 2/29
6. Lindawalkabout -- received, mailed 3/5
7. Ladygardener1 -- received, mailed 3/5
8. liblew -- received, will mail 3/7
9. EPrince -- received, will mail 3/7
10. dreaves -- received, mailed 3/4

This offer is now closed I've got a couple of packs of 'Gypsy' left, but I need to catch up on all the SASBE's flying in and out of here before I take any more requests. Thanks!

This message was edited Mar 6, 2008 1:52 PM

This message was edited Mar 13, 2008 8:45 PM
Danita
Cobb County, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2008
7:45 AM

Post #4599616

Hi Critter,

Please put me on the list for Gypsy and Sweet Pickle seeds. I'll just pay through Paypal.

Thanks so much for the great offer!
Danita
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #4600152

Put me on your list...I just sent you a dmail.
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

February 28, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #4600291

put me on your list please...payment is on its way!!

thank you for the great article and the offer! can't wait to grow them...
jayne_a
Missoula, MT
(Zone 4b)

February 28, 2008
3:24 PM

Post #4600496

Please put me on your list for Gypsy and Sweet Pickle pepper seeds. I will send stamps this afternoon.
And thanks for the good article. I also have had limited success with bell peppers, but my Anaheims do great.
Sharkey
Marianna, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #4600841

Please include me on your list. I will send you a d-mail in a few minutes. Your article was great and the photos were beautiful!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #4600957

Heya! I'm glad everybody enjoyed the article. You're going to love 'Gypsy'. I don't think I've heard of another pepper variety that's adapted to such a wide range of growing conditions. :-)

I've got a busy day here, so rather than do a lot of copy/paste, I'll send a "blast" Dmail with my snail mail and paypal address to everybody at the end of the day. Thanks!
girlgroupgirl

February 28, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #4601704

Hey Critter:
I thought I was just a poor pepper grower!! I have had a terrible time with almost all bells, and last year about no germination from my bull peppers.
Of course hot peppers are no problem at all - I can't stop them from coming on too fast!!!
But it is fresh sweet peppers I crave. I'll have to try some you grow.

GGG
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #4601971

Hope I'm not to late to get on the list for Gypsy and Sweet Pickle seeds. I to have problems with Bell peppers, they just don't get very big and paper thin almost. I wouldlove to try these new peppers, thank you

Criiter, I'm sending a BE this weekend for your seed offer on your other artical, I will include stamps if thats ok, i don't use paypal. I'll toss in a couple of dollars cash to cover, it will be ok. then you can send back the basil and peppers seeds all in the BE that i will send. thanks again, another great artical : )

This message was edited Feb 28, 2008 3:37 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #4602120

GGG, I'm assuming you want to be "in" on this offer then.

Linda, just include a couple of extra 41 cent stamps to cover the cost of the Gypsy seeds, and you'll be fine. Please make sure to mention both offers in your note so I don't get confused! :-)
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #4602363

Thanks Critter. will do

Ya know a couple of years ago I remember someone talking about thin walls on bell peppers. This was on another organic group I was on. I thought I put the info down . I could not find it. But I'm thinkin it was Epsom Salt they put around the Bell Peppers for thickness. Ever hear of that or did that?

I know they put that around tomatoes
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
11:56 PM

Post #4602474

You might think about having a soil test done (call your local extension office) to see if your garden is actually low in magnesium before you start throwing Epsom salts around... A friend has got me thinking about all sorts of trace minerals lately; we'll see how far I actually get in analyzing and supplementing my garden "dirt!"
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 29, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4602895

You got D-Mail, I'm interested. Thanks
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 29, 2008
2:35 AM

Post #4603185

Lady, I've got you covered.

GGG, on re-reading your post, it didn't look to me like you were interested in the packets of seed I've got ready to send out, just in growing the varieties I'd mentioned... If you want to be on the list for the 'Gypsy' seeds, please post again to specifically say so. Thanks.

I think we've had 7 offers spoken for so far. :-) I'll send out a group Dmail now. I know some of you Dmailed individually -- please forgive the group response; it's been a busy day.

:-)
liblew
Ashland, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #4609657

If you still have any, I am interested in the Sweet Pickle and Gypsy pepper seeds--I will send either with stamps or can pay by PayPal. Thanks,
Libby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2008
1:26 AM

Post #4610636

Libby, you've got Dmail. :-)

two sets of seeds remaining...
EPrince
Downey, CA

March 3, 2008
6:31 PM

Post #4617305

I am a novice when it comes to gardening and have always had difficulty with bell peppers, which I love. I am new to Dave's Garden so I am just learning how things work. I am interested in your offer but I have no clue what "Dmail" is. I would like to pay with stamps. Thanks! Jan
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

March 3, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #4617330

EPrince,
go up to one of critters posts and click on her name. it will take you to her home page. then click on send critterologist a d-mail.

may Princess Kathy get d-mail
EPrince
Downey, CA

March 3, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #4617669

Thanks! I found it! :-)

Jan

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2008
11:48 PM

Post #4618488

Critter,

I didn't want to take someone else's opportunity to buy when I'm perfectly capable of paying retail. However, since it's been a few days and there's still an offer left, I'd love to have some of the Gypsy and a few Aji Dulce if you don't mind throwing them in the envelope. The 'Sweet Pickles' would be great too. They might be an alternative to the Mini Sweet peppers from the big-box grocery store. I can pay by PayPal.

Thanks!

David
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #4618715

David, you've got them!

I do have a couple of packets of Gypsy left, but until I get caught up with all the SASBE's flying in and out of here,
this offer is closed.

I hope 'Gypsy' and 'Sweet Pickle' do well for everybody. Don't forget to try the pickle recipe! If you don't want to deal with canning them, they'll keep fine in the fridge. :-)

This message was edited Mar 5, 2008 1:24 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #4630144

All the postage has come in, and hopefully tomorrow the last of the seeds will go out! Thanks for a quick turnaround on this offer, everyone.

Here's a summary I posted with some notes about the way I grow peppers from seed: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=2520811

I hope everyone has fun with their seeds!

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #4631644

Jill, I'll be looking forward to getting these seeds, I plan on growing a few extra to give to a friend.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #4634178

Critter thanks once again for seedling information link of yours. I like the idea of soaking the pepper seeds first, it takes forever to sprout my way. And using Chamomile tea :) want plant or human wouldn't like that : )

This is the first year of grow lights and alreading I need to do some adjusting . So this is such good info. thank you.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #4635362

Jill,

The seeds arrived in today's mail. Thanks! There will be a pepper planting party at my house tonight. This is batch two of the peppers. I planted the first round of 10 types at the end of January. I'll leave these on heat after they are repotted to help catch them up.

The seed packets are very nice! The plastic envelopes with the inside labels make it easy to identify and see the seeds. The label information is very complete, too. Thanks again.

David
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #4635377

I hope they do well for you! I do most of my seed packets that way... the label slips inside the plastic baggies don't fall off the way sticky labels sometimes do.

I left some seedlings on the mat last year after potting up and took others (of the same type) off. I thought the extra heat helped them during the first week or two, but after that it didn't seem to be making any difference, so I took them all off the heating mat.
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

March 18, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4676256

Jill, I got the seeds in the mail today! Thank you soo much!! can't wait to get them planted...

may Princess Kathy have pepper seeds to plant
:oP
I love Miss Robbi
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2008
3:31 AM

Post #4677107

Good! I hope the Mother of Thousand babies I sent along arrived in good shape... I did my best to find a good "window" in the weather for shipping, but you know how that is! If they don't make it, just let me know, and I'll try again another time. :-)
Sharkey
Marianna, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #4677223

Jill, I have had 100% germination on my gypsy pepper seeds you sent! They were planted on Mar. 4 and are about 1 1/2 inches tall and very healthy looking. I have them under lights and I'm really looking forward to seeing them mature. I think I'll leave the regular bells alone from now on--at least the seeds. Thank you, once again, for your kindness.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2008
5:26 AM

Post #4677403

You're welcome!

I'm glad the seeds seem to be doing so well for everybody. Mine are coming up, too! I figured TGS would be a pretty sure bet as a source for good seeds.

bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

March 18, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #4677795

The Mother of Thousands were in great shape! Thank you very much...I will be planting all of these today. That should give them enough time to get good and strong to be planted outside the end of April!
Thank you again for your generosity!!! :o)

I Love Miss Traci
May Princess Kathy have peppers that grow
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #4678194

Oh, good! I sent some from two different plants that bloomed this winter (I didn't even know they had blooms until it happened, LOL)... one was more pink and the other a definite peach/orangey color. Wish I could post photos on this thread... I'll have to add pics to PF.

bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

March 18, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #4678278

I didn't know that they bloomed either! Let me know when you get a picture posted, I'd love to see them in bloom...

I love Miss Critterologist!
I Love Miss Cathy!
may Princess Kathy come along and see the Mother of Thousands in bloom!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #4678301

Check out this PF link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/65342/
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

March 18, 2008
3:11 PM

Post #4678359

that is so cool! how long does it take them before they bloom?

I Love bluepoppy
I Love Miss Rachael
:o}

may Princess Kathy have bird nests in her trees
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #4679212

I've had mine for a couple of years, but I'm sure time to bloom varies.

bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

March 18, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #4679348

To all of you who are wondering about my posts...

we are playing a game in the parking lot, called the Princess game. Each month there is a new Princess and we have to address her in every post that we make on DG. Along with that the Princess of the month makes rules that we follow to earn points to become the next Princess. Most people that have come across our posts either just read over them or come looking for us trying to join the fun we are having in this silly game. It has been a great way to get past the winter blues!!
I am sorry if this has caused any confusion on this thread, the bold lettering is for the game and has nothing to do with Jill's offer of seeds.

may Princess Kathy have lots of veggies in her garden this summer
I Love Miss Robbi
I Love Sharkey

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2008
7:55 PM

Post #4679361

HI MISS BECKIE

i love miss robbi
i lover critterologist

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #4679393

miss beckie, you didn't confuse me

i love miss joan
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2008
3:12 PM

Post #4740358

Critter just wanted to let ya know my Gypsy and Sweet Pickle Peppers are up and doing great. Oh I can't wait to get them in the garden and more trying them out , yum. Thanks so much for all the seeds you sent, peppers and seeds for my BF gardens. (((BIG HUG)))

tc linda
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #4740410

Good to hear! I hope they all do well for you this year! :-)
NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #4784614

Jill,

Do you have any seeds left over? I don't want to post here in the forums to let you know what happened to all of my plants & seeds during 2006. But they are all gone. What I miss too was your special seeds for that Italian Basil.

Can you assist? (enable???)

~* Robin
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #4784705

I don't have any extra Gypsy seeds left, but I can get a packet of Italian Basil out to you... please Dmail me with your address (no postage needed). :-)
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #4786356

Critter another question on the Gypsy and Sweet Pickle Peppers you sent. Can the seeds be saved on these two peppers or being hybrid will not work? ths linda
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #4786795

'Sweet Pickles' is not a hybrid. The seeds are ones I saved from my own plants (been doing so several years now). If you want to be sure of them coming true, plant a couple away from other peppers so you don't get cross pollination (they're pretty plants in a flower border, so I usually just stick a few in a landscape bed).

I've never tried growing out saved seeds from 'Gypsy', but yes that one is a hybrid, so I'd recommend buying seeds for next year. From the good reports we're getting already on those little seedings, I think I might do a bigger bulk buy next year, like a co-op. :-)
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #4786931

Great, thank you Critter. good advice on planting at a distance on a couple of the sweet pickle peppers and I will save the seeds as well.

Oh the co-op would be great : ).
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #4786949

We could probably do a few different varieties, too... unfortunately, 'Carmen' isn't cheaper in bulk (actually more expensive, which nobody could explain to me), but we can split packs like I did for a few folks this year.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #4786996

Sounds good. I'm growing Fish peppers this year to, got to keep the hot ones from the sweet ones. I'll have peppers all over the place, LOL.

I would like to try that Carmen pepper too. These co-ops are just the best for getting plants that probably would not be able to swing. I'm havin way to much fun here in DG with new plants on the homestead. Just lovin it!!!!!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #4787033

I'm such an advocate for the flavor of heirloom tomatoes that I'm sure some folks raised eyebrows to see me "pushing" these pepper hybrids... but as far as I can tell, 'Gypsy' and 'Carmen' have every bit as much flavor and sweetness as their OP counterparts -- and they are much more vigorous and productive in my garden. So although I'm all about saving and trading seeds for a lot of what's in my garden, hybrid pepper seeds are something I'll keep on purchasing... A bulk seed buy will save me some $, too! With those minimum shipping charges, it can be worth doing a group order just so everybody doesn't have to pay $4.25 for shipping.

I've already got the packing and labeling figured out, LOL... and hopefully I'll be able to send some bonus 'Sweet Pickle' seeds with the co-op seeds, too. I probably won't do a whole lot of varieties in bulk packs, because counting and packing gets tedious after a while... Hmm, wonder who lives close enough that I could rope them into coming over for an evening of coffee, cookies, and counting seeds? :-)
mylillie
New Britain, CT

April 25, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #4862233

To bad I missed this I just joined. Next time please inform me.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #4862265

Welcome, Lillie! It looks like there's a lot of interest in a "next time," and thanks to a marauding mouse I had to restart my Gypsy peppers a couple of times this spring, so I'll probably do a little "group buy" or co-op sort of thing for next season so we can split some bulk packets from TGS. I'm sorry, but I probably won't manage to comb through all the threads where we've talked about it in order to Dmail everybody who's expressed an interest... I'll just post on the pepper forum. But I'll try to give it plenty of lead time, so hopefully everybody who's interested will get a chance, and I'll try to post a link on this thread also. :-)
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #4862324

Critter could you do a D-m Blast to people on this forum when its time to order the pepper seeds. Not sure how blast works , I don't want to miss it. I will keep an eye open on the pepper forums

Peppers are doing geat. sown inside, did the grow light like you said , much better plants , thank you

Bronze Fennel is doing better and growing when I winter sowed , then inside. It is very pretty

Thanks again for all the great seeds you shared
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #4862519

Linda, I'd rather just post on this thread and in the pepper forum.. I think that should reach most folks. If I do a blast Dmail, I'll inevitably miss some folks and cause bad feelings, and I don't want that.

I'm glad your seedlings are doing well! My bronze fennel (started several years ago) outside is about 6 inches tall now and growing fast... I love the feathery foliage!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Can’t Grow Bell Peppers? Here’s a Ringing Endorsement for Some Alternative Sweet Pepper Varieties Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very nice article Dutchlady1 10 Mar 4, 2011 7:08 AM
Pepper growing secrets jsw45807 3 Mar 4, 2008 7:49 PM
Peppers rosann1242 1 Mar 3, 2008 10:03 PM
Critterologist I have a question for you mylillie 12 Jul 17, 2010 10:43 AM
Need advise Gypsy pepper. deerhorn 5 Jun 22, 2008 8:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America