Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: The Dutch Bulb Fields and Tulipomania: lovely!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Dutch Bulb Fields and Tulipomania
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Dutch Bulb Fields and TulipomaniaReplies: 13, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2008
12:20 PM

Post #4599821

I had a Dutch great grandmother and I think somewhere along the gene line, she left me with a deep desire to have a tulip field. Unfortunately, the combination of heavy clay ground and chipmunks often leaves me with only a few straggly looking plants. Thank you for sending me along to the Netherlands.

Thumbnail by Kathleen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #4600312

I dream of going there, because of this article, The Netherlands moved up on my list. thanks for a great article
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #4600319

Thanks!! It truly is the most amazing sight.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #4600358

Thanks for a great read - oh, how we love tulips !
nutmegnana
Adamstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #4600367

We visited Keukenhof last year. It is really hard to describe or imagine the acres of beautifully designed gardens -- all done with blooming bulbs. The trip from Amsterdam to Keukenhof via bus takes you past field after field of tulips -- hard to imagine as they are blooming so beautifully that those blooms will be cut off and discarded -- the field are for growing bulbs not flowers! Anyway, it is well worth the trip. If you can include a visit to the Aalsmeer flower auction, all the better!

Thanks for an interesting article!
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #4600879

Beautiful photos and very informative article! My husband's father was born in the Netherlands and we often go back to his family's home town of Amersfoort. Nothing makes my husband happier than when the tulips in our garden bloom. I'm sharing your article with him. Thank you!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #4600974

Very nice. I look forward to visiting Keukenhof one day. The tulip craze has served as a model for students of financial crazes over the years. I think that four tons of beer would make any flower look as nice, if not nicer, than a tulip to me, though!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #4601321

When I took French in High School we read La Tulipe Noire. And it still seems crazy to me - that people would go that crazy for a black tulip, and that I went to Amsterdam I was interested in shoes and not bulbs! I would love to see the bulb fields someday...
x, Carrie

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 28, 2008
10:43 PM

Post #4602244

Maybe our deer which eat the tulip could be given tickets to the Netherlands and leave our plants alone. We stick to the smaller species tulips as a result, not as spectacular but often have the addition of interesting foliage.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

February 28, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #4602333

Oh Hetty! What a lovely glimpse at a beautiful country! My friend Gerhard has invited us many times, and we have yet been able to go...but I will! Definately on my "must do" list, since I have always loved the spring bulbs.

Thank you for a lovely article to start my day!

Yokwe,
Shari

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #4602411

Iris, the species and less delicious tulips are more often truly perennial, too! The tall ones are lovely though - I don't think we have deer this close to the city - i thought it was rabbits.
xx, Carrie
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 29, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #4602765

Thanks for the compliments everyone, I enjoyed wrting it, it took me back...
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

February 29, 2008
7:14 AM

Post #4603953

Beautiful! Thank you for taking my memories back to many visits to Keukenhof as a child. It is one of the most glorious sights in the world, not to be missed.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #4643261

I got to see a bit of the Netherlands in October of 1987, and I enjoyed seeing everyone's gardens then. I would love to go back in the spring some time and see the tulip fields. Thanks for the lovely article and photos, Dutch Lady.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Dutch Bulb Fields and Tulipomania Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tulip growers, please help! evesocal 0 Jan 9, 2010 11:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America