Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Canít Grow Bell Peppers? Hereís a Ringing Endorsement for Some Alternative Sweet Pepper Varieties: very nice article

Communities > Forums > Article: Canít Grow Bell Peppers? Hereís a Ringing Endorsement for Some Alternative Sweet Pepper Varieties
bookmark
Forum: Article: Canít Grow Bell Peppers? Hereís a Ringing Endorsement for Some Alternative Sweet Pepper VarietiesReplies: 10, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #4599948

I knew there were many varieties of peppers but didn't have a clue which ones would do well. Thanks for a fun and informative article.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #4600113

Great article Jill and your recipe is outstanding - made these before and you're right - it's a winner !
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #4600327

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the article. That pickle recipe is one reason my pepper patch is so big!

Dutchlady, you may well have good luck with bell peppers in FL, so try some of those too... For me, these non-bells are just more reliable performers. :-)
planolinda
Plano, TX

February 28, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #4602304

thanks for another great article!--i love peppers and will enjoy trying that recipe--i am going to try to grow some too--seems like you can do so much with peppers-in with eggs, chili, spaghetti, salad, etc--
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

February 28, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #4602378

Jill thank you so much for making me feel less like a loser! My Bells give me one or two small crops and then die a slow and agonizing death! Now I can hold my head up once again and say "It happens to the best of us." Thanks for all the other suggestions, I will definately be trying them, and I also love that recipe...keep a jar in the fridge at all times.

Yokwe,
Shari
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 29, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #4602501

Shari, if you want seeds, feel free to Dmail me... I know I said "US only please" on the other thread for simplicity, but as long as it's not illegal to send you seeds, it should be pretty straightforward... you're at an APO address, right? That means that mailing shouldn't be an issue. :-)

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 29, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #4602512

I just ran your zip through a site that claimed it would tell me of any APO mailing restrictions... it said "fruits, plants, live animals prohibited" -- so presumably seeds are OK. If you want some, just post on the other thread, please. (As far as I'm concerned, it's a US address since your APO is in CA.)

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2008
7:57 PM

Post #5462127

in researching pepper diseases for a neighbor I came across this thread. My Mother insisted that every pepper plant needed a partner. So always put two plants in the same hole. Provided your soil is well balanced. you will have peppers in abundance. I too love Gypsy and here in the east I start my seeds outside, from last years crop. They are now starting to bloom and We'll have many meals of stuffed peppers in Sept. and Oct. We also grow banana peppers and have grown Red Bell and Green Bell. 2 together bumper crop.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2008
8:37 PM

Post #5462259

I've grown 2 together, but I'm not sure I've seen much difference in doing so... but if it works, it works! Sounds like you've got a great pepper patch! :-)
Nokota
Claremont, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8405536

Can anyone tell me where to get seeds for yellow and orange bell peppers? They are my parents' favorite and a friend told me seeds from the ones in the store likely won't grow...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8406194

Most of the major seed companies have seeds for hybrid colored bell peppers, and you can probably find something on the seed rack at your local nursery or big box store. If you're looking for a wider variety, I think "Totally Tomatoes" (which also sells pepper seeds) has had a good selection in the past, as have places like HPS and Hazzard's Seeds (which sell larger packs, good for splitting but more than the average home gardener needs).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Canít Grow Bell Peppers? Hereís a Ringing Endorsement for Some Alternative Sweet Pepper Varieties Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gypsy Pepper seeds from Critter, at cost critterologist 52 Apr 25, 2008 4:29 PM
Pepper growing secrets jsw45807 3 Mar 4, 2008 7:49 PM
Peppers rosann1242 1 Mar 3, 2008 10:03 PM
Critterologist I have a question for you mylillie 12 Jul 17, 2010 10:43 AM
Need advise Gypsy pepper. deerhorn 5 Jun 22, 2008 8:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America