Photo by Melody

Article: Can You Take It With You?: TRUE!

Communities > Forums > Article: Can You Take It With You?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Can You Take It With You?Replies: 15, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Aunt_A

February 29, 2008
7:35 AM

Post #4603963

Words of Garden Wisdom! However, I still can't resist driving by to see my babies. You took the words right out of my mouth...or computer...ha,ha. Seriously, I was going to write an article with some other information but the same slant.
Good job Toni!
Also, not only do you need to be specific on the listing agreement...you must be specific on the contract of sale so they buyers don't faint when the rose bush is gone. We've seen that happen on a few other things (basketball goal, curtain rods, window coverings, towel hangers, light fixtures).
Nice wrap-up sentence also...Thanks for a great article.

This message was edited Feb 29, 2008 6:44 PM
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 29, 2008
10:03 AM

Post #4604022

I enjoyed it too; I had to leave behind a lovely garden in England when we moved to the US... but I had given a few prized plants to a dear friend so I know someone is enjoying them still.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 29, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #4604706

I had the opposite experience :(. In order to "increase curb appeal" or some such nonsense, the former owners apparently dug under many old established plants and put in "lawn". Blech. Fortunately, the bulbs seem to be coming back. I'm finding daffodils poking up in the middle of the "lawn", and I'm hoping more will return. I will be remedying this problem ASAP. She also wanted to get some of the "monkey grass", and i told her she was welcome to it. Well, it's been two years, and the time is never right for her, so it's going to be replaced, at least most of it. Any takers :))
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #4604883

The first and second places I sold, there was nothing to go back and see. But the house before this one was when my gardenaholicism took root (pun). I drive by occasionally, still, and each time I've done that, more and more of my treasures are missing! But that's okay, my new place has grown into my heart, and everything I want is here...

I really enjoyed this article...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #4605258

Oh, ouch, I CAN'T contemplate moving, although it seems inevitable, eventually. My current plan is something like get the kids all safely grown up and moved out and really gone, inherit a bazillion $$$, tear up the house and build a new, improved one on its footprint (w/out disturbing plantings during construction), live happily ever after, die in my husband's arms in my sleep the same night he dies in my arms, have our ashes turned around three times in the compostumbler, spread them on the beds of perennials which one of my daughters will tend with her family...

x, Carrie
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #4606022

hhhmmmmmm what an idea, MY ashes in my compost! Very good!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2008
10:19 PM

Post #4606098

Well, yeah, duhhh. Whose else's compost would i put them in? xx, Carrie

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 29, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #4606234

Wonderful reminder not to EVER drive back by for a look at your old gardens! My contract even had a clause whereby I could come and divide perennials in the spring (many REALLY needed it) and they banned me from the property... ultimately not worth the legal cost of a hassle.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2008
11:20 PM

Post #4606271

Wow, Darius, that's so sad, for the perennials AND for you. x, Carrie
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4606408

Oh My, I can see I'm not the only gardener with a broken heart!

I occasionally HAVE to drive up the street on which my beautiful old home sits and I grit my teeth and stare straight ahead.

"Curbside appeal" is over-rated as a selling point!

Thank you all for your kind compliments.

PS: I kinda like the idea of the ashes, too--although I think the new owners of "my" house would frown on having me scattered in their yard. LOL!!!!!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #4606421

darius, I remember when you couldn't take your Japanese Maple :(

Nice article Toni :)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2008
9:36 AM

Post #4607855

Well Toni, you wouldn't get scattered there unless someone you knew and liked was taking care of your garden. Then you'd go to the nearest relative's compost. x, Carrie
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #4608527

[quote]I occasionally HAVE to drive up the street on which my beautiful old home sits and I grit my teeth and stare straight ahead.[/quote]
Loved your article, Toni. You're such a good writer. You described my behavior precisely! I'm reading your article while out visiting relatives in CA and staying one block from where we used to live (30 years of gardening there.) I'm sure the new owners (who are very nice) will make major changes in the garden--they have already gutted the interior of the house.
Oh well, I remind myself that it's THEIRS now. And I can always stare straight ahead.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2010
10:26 AM

Post #7899554

[quote]Whatever garden you leave behind should reflect your love and care.[/quote]

Well said! Excellent article Toni. I so enjoy your articles...

Kelly

tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2010
11:28 AM

Post #7899710

Thank you Kelly! :o)
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 18, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #7901576

I drove by to see my babies.
Well they had all grown up.
They had grown too much, I think the yard is overgrown with too many big trees.
Glad I moved
The man that bought the house was just removing a big maple tree that happened to be my kids favorite. It was not all that old but just big enough for them to climb a bit.
He said he did not worry about it when a tree died about replacing anything because he had plenty more.
He did make me kind of envious though when he said that the three pair trees I planted were so very good, and sweet, the best he ever had.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Can You Take It With You? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks, I Needed This MistyPetals 1 Mar 3, 2008 11:15 AM
Portability.... Gymgirl 1 Jun 18, 2010 11:29 AM
You Are Right ! Ret_Sgt_Yates 2 Jun 18, 2010 11:35 AM
Timely article... iris4me0223 1 Jun 21, 2010 9:38 AM
Jap Maple limylady 2 Jun 21, 2010 11:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America