SOLVED: petasites japonica variegata?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That's what the tag says that's in front of this plant, you see all the little red plants fixing to come up? Is this the flower that thing makes?

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes!

Here's mine.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I hope you have lots of room to let this grow! I originally gave it a 4' area, well, it filled that in just a few months. I took it out and moved it to an area were it can grow to it's heart's content. But ,3 years later, I am still working on eradicating it from the original area, ....I just keep an eye out and spritz the new emerging leaves with Roundup. It's a nice plant, if it is planted in the right spot

Yes, it can get out of hand. I have the variegated one which still roams, but not as much.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have tons of room, but gosh, I wish it would hurry up and spread, I can't imagine having something more prettier in my garden than this. But it 's taking it's good time to spread.

bought it last summer, and you see what's there, just that round patch. That's so neat , though that flower. Cool.

thanks a bunch

Will spread faster with good moisture.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

that may be the problem then, It was heavily wilted alot of the time last summer. I bet it spreads like mad this spring though, we have a lot of rains during the spring time. Then along comes August LOL

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
Yes, it can get out of hand.

OMG Kathy, this is the plant from H*** for me! It IS a nice plant (as Shady stated "if it is planted in the right spot"). After 4 years in our garden one plant had spread 6'-10' in every direction, jumped the path and I found it popping up 15' away from the original plant! Two years ago I spent two full days trying to pull every last root out of this area - impossible :( I'm still finding it popping up where I don't want it. Good luck with yours, just beware, in a couple of years you may have a monster on your hands!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yes, there are peta sites for it than the average garden ;-)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WEll, I don't think this one must be like others, it's variegated and japanese? and only spread to l2 inches since last summer, so i'm keeping it. LOL

Like I said, the variegated spreads slower, and drier soil will also slow the spread.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I have Petasites Japonica variegata and it loves our place, I have it planted next to the creek in an area were I won't have to worry about controlling it, now.
This picture is from 2005 - it was also planted next to the creek, but in a bed with other moisture loving plants and it started taking over in just a couple of months I knew I was going to have a problem if I didn't move it soon...but three years later I am still working on getting it totally out of this bed. When I dug this out I went way beyond where I thought I need to go and then sifted through the soil with my hands to get all the roots...roots will break off and you will have twice as many plants. That first year I then sprayed Roundup probably 3-4 times, I look for babies in an 6' radius from were the original plant was and use Round up on the emerging leaves once a year. I hope in a year or two I should be finished with it :~)

I agree the dryer soil will slow it down, but then it wilts in the heat of the day.

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I love your picture shady folks. Mine isn't in a high moisture area either.

Here's mine. They were planted about five or so years back.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

OH MY WORD! I bet mine's going to be doing alot of growing this year. Holy Cow! I bet it's growing in the neighbors yard back behind your fence. HOly cow! Oh wait, I already said that LOL I do think it's beautiful though. So unusual.

Actually it's not super aggressive. For the past two years, I have seen four or five flowers coming up on the other side of the fence (still my property for about 8 or so more feet) and have just pulled them up with as much root as I could get. Did not have to repeat it at all later in the year.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

victorgardener,
that's a nice stand of PJ and in the right spot!

Thanks.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Let me ask you guys something, what does this one look like? and is the second one

Petasites japonicus f purpureus
Petasites japonicus var giganteus

Is the giganteus the one you have victor? cause yours is the same one I have.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

oops, my mistake. When I saw the photo of the flower I didn't even read the title: "petasites japonica variegata?" Petasites japonicus f. purpureus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/98848/ was (IS) my "monster".

Quoting:
then sifted through the soil with my hands to get all the roots

Shady, "sifting" through the soil for all the roots was why it took me two full days trying to find every last root. Unfortunately, those few that escaped me are still trying to make a comeback :( Hopefully the pots of Variegated Petasites I've been holding in pots forever will soon find the "right" spot in the garden - the photo of your plants and Victor's "roaming" planting are very nice :)

You probably need to paint what remains with Roundup, Deb.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi rcn48,
We do it to ourselves, don't we?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL, yes we do! I must have had at least three mounds of roots that were 2' high from all that I collected from the "sifting" :(

Victor, I'm thinking about the Round Up. It's going to be a difficult task though. After digging up all the Petasites, I completely filled this area with Hostas and Ferns so whenever I see the Petasites rearing their ugly heads, I quickly dig them out. They're so close to the "good" plants in this area and I definitely don't want to chance damaging them. I'll probably just have to continue my personal battle with them :(

That's why I recommended painting them, not spraying them. I have to do the same thing with gooseneck loosetrife one of these days.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Victorgardener,
you don't want over spray to get on your other plants....My sprayer is not very misty, so I am able to hold it right next to the leaves and spritz some roundup on and not get it on other plants. If when you are doing this and there is a chance you might get some roundup on other plants, by all means 'paint' it on, you will minimize your chances of killing off the plants you want.

Little Fort, BC, Canada

I have a patch of P. j. giganteus growing on a fairly dry sunny bank, I guess that is why it is spreading slowly. It is pretty well deer proof, so that is one positive, as well as the uniqueness.
I am in south central BC, but don't seem to be able to add my area, allows US zipcodes only. Is this site primarily oriented to Americans?

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

The site was created by an American who has since moved on I believe. But folks from all around the world participate here. I'm not sure how they locate their 'zone' number. Are you close to the border of Washington State? What US town are you be closest to?

Edited to add: I see from the map, you are not that close to the US. There is a USDA climate zone map that includes Canada. I can't seem to find it online at the moment, maybe someone else will come by with the link. But if you can find out what your zone is and list it with your name, you don't need a zip code. But knowing your hardiness zone will make it easier for folks to help when you have questions.

This message was edited May 16, 2011 1:46 PM

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Here's a good place to start http://www.permed.com/Climate_zones.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.