Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cacti and Succulents: some favorite Haworthias in our collection

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 40, Views: 386
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
10:28 AM

Post #4611779

We have some Haworthias (Hawgs). These come from many sources. We've been importing from Japan, Europe and Africa as well as from the box stores, eBay and great commercial growers in the USA.

Here's an Altman plant I got at HD a year ago. This is what it looked like in Jan 2007.

We call it the Altman 'Black Comptoniana' clone and it was one of those $1.95 specials. I was amazed that it survived the drowning it had received from winter rain and everyday watering at HD.

There are over 15 comptoniana clones in the collection. Most of them are distinctly different. The 'Black Comptoniana' clones (I was lucky enough to get 2 ) are the blackest of all the "black comptonianas" we have or have seen. Its blackness is not so obvious here..it really began to show. later.

Thumbnail by thistlesifter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
10:33 AM

Post #4611780

Here' a photoshop special effect to that image. Maybe it should have fossilized after all that water it got at HD in the rain and with the Colorado River water minerals in HD's water - it might have looked like this :>)

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
10:38 AM

Post #4611782

But it did okay . Here it is as of early February. Haworthia comptoniana cv 'Black Comptoniana' ex Altman

bob:>)

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
10:43 AM

Post #4611784

Here's a favorite one doesn't see much of.
H. arachnoidia var. setata from material collected near Ladasmith, South Africa. ex Hammer

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
10:47 AM

Post #4611786

Haworthia aranea from material collected at Verelegan, S.A. ex Hammer.

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
10:49 AM

Post #4611787

Haworthia cymbiformis from material collected at Kleinmond, S.A. ex Hammer.

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
10:51 AM

Post #4611788

Haworthia cooperi cv 'Yae Yae'

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
10:54 AM

Post #4611790

Haworthia cooperii ssp. pilifera

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
10:56 AM

Post #4611791

Haworthia cooperii var. truncata from material collected at Ngwalli, S.A. ex Hammer.

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
10:58 AM

Post #4611794

Haworthia cymbiformis variegate.

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
11:02 AM

Post #4611798

Haworthia cuspidata variegate

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
11:05 AM

Post #4611800

Haworthia emelyae picta from Japan
bob::>)

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
11:07 AM

Post #4611801

Haworthia another emelyae picta hybrid from Japan
bob::>)

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
11:11 AM

Post #4611805

Another hybrid cv Haworthia springbokvlakensis x emelyae comptoniana ex Hammer

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
11:15 AM

Post #4611807

Another variation of Haworthia cooperii from material collected at Old Thomas River Road, SA ex Hammer

sempervi
St Joseph, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #4612182

Nice collection Bob.
The emelyae pictas are nice. Love the coloration of the variegated specimens also.
Thanks for sharing.
Laura
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #4612699

Very nice collection. Thanks for sharing those! I have bought several hawarthia over the years and always kill them. : ( I think they require a bit more water than cactus and I tend to forget that? Anyhow, mine usually end up looking like brown skeletons of their former selves!
thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 2, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #4613156

Thank you Laura. the pictas are difficult to get because they are like the 'Painted Ladies' with jewels of the succulent world. Pictas are the ones that are most often hybridized with interest and popularity worldwide. It can be grown anywere.in the world in very little space.

Thank you Cactuspatch. They can be somewhat more high maintenance than many succulents. I lost quite a few in years past. I find many that do better outdoors and are much less maintenance in the ground.
oldmudhouse
Las Cruces, NM
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2008
1:04 AM

Post #4614250

Beautiful plants Bob. Love the photos of Haworthias with translucent tips...the way the light passes through Haworthia cooperi cv 'Yae Yae' is magical! I really like the wooly tips of the H. arachnoidia and H. aranea too (their own sunscreen I guess?)

I have been slow with Haworthias too, only one noid from Lowes (cymbiformis I think) and several eternally offsetting Haworthia attenuata (can't seem to kill that one with a stick.) I can see how the big variations in form could make Haworthias very addicting...the small size of these plants is appealing too.
Sheri
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

March 3, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #4614582

One terrific collection, I have a small collection of the genus. But it will grow in time, it's not how many you have, it's what you have. I enjoy mine very much, but they are so slow, Norma

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2008
5:03 AM

Post #4615373

LOOK at your pretty babies, Bob!!! Very nice...love the colors and patterns!!! Having fun with your photoshop eh?
thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 4, 2008
11:52 AM

Post #4620492

Hi Sheri,
Thank you so much for the comments.
Cooperii is magical. Some have translucent wine-colored symmetries inside and some seem to have silver flashings. One in the collection has had tiny snowballs, though I haven't noticed it lately. These create a snow-globe in micro-miniature. These with inclusions are very slow growing. They are best photographed while sun is low on the horizon and the plant between the camera and the light source.

At night white light from LED flashlight bring out other- worldly beauty from these amazing plants. All of the Haworthia flowers glitter with crystalline reflectors outlining details of the flower-parts.

Arachnoidia and aranea are both masters at making shade at the right time. At present arachnoidia are open with their tender inward tissue open and in a growth phase, while flowering. Often arachnoidia appears to have a singular web strand around the entire circumference at the top. We are pollinating several at present.

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

March 5, 2008
1:50 AM

Post #4623526

just lovely bob! So nice to see the small inhabitants of your collection...just shows that good things DO come in small packages? lol...sue
thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 5, 2008
10:24 AM

Post #4624669

Hi Sue,
Thanks for the comments.

The 'Hawgs' are indeed small packages and to me are the gems.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #4625486

Hey, for a bit more on Haworthias, check out this amatuer article:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/471/

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #4626014

LOL "amatuer" PB!! Good article btw!!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #4627489

BTW, I have a few favorites of my own, though my ability to identify is not as good... but these have done well for me... this one is an unkown, but it's starting to flower now... has incredible color, though

Thumbnail by palmbob

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #4627498

This Haworthia viscosa has an incredible jeweled surface to it that sparkles in the sun. May look delicate, but it has the texture of stone- tough little plant

Thumbnail by palmbob

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 7, 2008
8:27 AM

Post #4632918

Hi Chantell, LTNS

PB,
The first of your images posted on this thread is H. turgida v. suberecta. It is a very fast prolific outdoor plant here and can take weather into the high 20's without much of a problem. It is one of the species used to make hanging Haworthia "Balls".
bob
thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 7, 2008
9:28 AM

Post #4632949

A very slow one
H truncata v. maughanii 'Variegata Hybrid' Ex Japan

This is about 3.5" across

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 7, 2008
9:43 AM

Post #4632955

Probably one of my top favorites in the collection including outdoor plants. It is in the top 10 most satisfying plants we own.

This is a cultivar imported from Japan.

H. bayeri cv 'Correcta' it has sparkling crystal surfaces and is growing leaps and bounds in late winter. Image captured 3-5-08 in dark GH.

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 7, 2008
10:01 AM

Post #4632964

A huge and fast growing variegate measures over 10" across. It was repotted a year ago after being rescued from a heavily stressed and beat up condition. There are 4 offsets, all variegated and it is really taking off in early March on a phenomenal growth spurt.
H. limifolia cv 'Gigantea' fma variegata

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 7, 2008
10:37 AM

Post #4632986

Another giant - and a select cultivar of H. emelyae var. comptoniana with clear lines. This is among the largest 3, but overall the best of the large comptonianas in the collection. growing rapidly it is now over 7" wide and flowering - no offsets.

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 7, 2008
10:54 AM

Post #4633002

Here is a H. pygmaea import from Japan. Very large white crystalline leaves

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 7, 2008
11:13 AM

Post #4633013

here is crystalline flower of Haworthia herbacea.

thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 7, 2008
11:18 AM

Post #4633017

Flower stems of H. herbacea

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #4634354

This one http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4633013
reminded me almost of a tuberose bloom!!! Such pretties!!
thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 8, 2008
9:20 AM

Post #4637008

Hi Chantell,
Thank you for the compliments. This one has uniquely beautiful and bountiful flowers
oldmudhouse
Las Cruces, NM
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #4638037

I can't get over sparkly textures of some of these, it makes me wonder why some of the species evolved that way. Looking at the pebbles you have as top dressing, I thought maybe the sparkly leaves would blend in with sunlight bouncing off pebbles on the ground surface, so it could be a sparkly camoflauge. I always think these look too ethereal to survive in a rugged natural setting, and your description of other-worldly is right on! Thanks for sharing these beauties with us.
smkennedy
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 8, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #4638479

thistlesifter,
Thanks for the picture gallery and the education.

Susan in Minneapolis
thistlesifter
Vista, CA

March 9, 2008
12:42 PM

Post #4641260

Sheri,

Haworthias have become a major addiction. There is no cure.

Our Son gave me a LED headband light as a gift. He uses one when he goes on camp-out mountain hikes. I like to look at the Hawg. flowers at night under those bright lights. One day I will take the trouble to capture some of those flower images and post them here. They truly do appear to be from space. Your comment stimulated a thought that it may have something to do with being pollinator attractor. The crystalline reflectors probably reflect light to the sensitive eye of a flying insects and hummers. (One has to be reminded of the Conservation of Nature - a purpose for everything - (except Aloe mites, brown snails, and gophers)).

I've closed up the area we keep our breeding specimen, yet somehow humming birds will migrate there when the flowers are abundant. They become most prevalent in the late afternoon when sun rays are popping from the extreme western part of the side facing NW. There are hundreds if not thousands of flowers open at present in that closed room of the GH.

Susan, Thanks for the comment. Su es de nada.

Thanks for the thoughts Sheri.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America