-
AuthorContent
JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #4613260

I just got my hands on a Gelsemium sempervirens (carolina jasmine) and am trying to decide where to put it. I read that it is a good climber, so my "gate-sized" trellis will be too short, I think. I am not sure I should put it against the siding anyway.

Now I am considering putting it against a porch post, the one on the farthest left in the picture.

If you have experience with a jasmine, would anyone tell me about their climbing habit? Would it climb a post without a trellis? I have also read that it can be pruned to keep it under control. Does it get out of control rapidly? I am thinking ahead about the need to paint the porch posts at some time. lol

Thumbnail by JulieQ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 3, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #4614967

This vine can get enormous, so you need to use it in the right place. It also grows pretty fast, so you'll have your posts covered in no time.

It twines, so it will need to be tied to the posts while it gets going since it doesn't have "feet" like ivy. It doesn't have tendrils either, the tips of the vines weave in and out and wrap themselves around whatever support you give them.

It does tend to get "top heavy" so to keep it in check, you'll probably have to thin it out on a regular basis once it's established.

Here, it blooms in late winter and early spring and gets a few flowers at other times of the year.

I think it's native to your part of the country, so it should do well for you.
JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #4616064

Thanks,
I can always move it or cut it out later, I guess... I'll give it a try.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America