Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Fabulous Feverfew: feverfew

Communities > Forums > Article: Fabulous Feverfew
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fabulous FeverfewReplies: 9, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lobelialady
Griffith
Canada

March 3, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #4617600

HI I'm a fairly forgiving gardener...but I will never again plant feverfew.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 3, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #4617616

How come?
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #4635509

Please tell us what the downer is!
Fitsy
lobelialady
Griffith
Canada

October 3, 2008
2:00 PM

Post #5628797

Lol...I won't have to... it has staged a coup! it has taken over! I've been ripping it out of the beds since I first planted it...and it continues to spring up everywhere. It loves my gardens...but I don't care for it's smell... and it tends to encroach on other hardies..pushing even them to the margins. So...my advice and my opinions are negative on this plant...but having said that, here's a proviso... It makes lovely clumps and blossoms profusely (as a result~seeds copiously) ..if kept within it's bounds by potting up or barriers it will give a terrific show...I planted mine with German Chamomile and the feverfew almost crowded it out...and that's doing something~~! If you have a few acres of wasteland...by all means plant feverfew!!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #8013592

Now you have me scared. I live in a zone 5a (Anchorage, Alaska) and just put some in my garden. We run -15 in the winter (on average) to +70 (if we are lucky) in the summer. How does that compare with your temps. I am trying to decide if I need to run out and excise this plant before it is too late. I am already over run with English Daisy's (which I have dug up and will BE digging up for years to come.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

August 2, 2010
12:41 PM

Post #8013619

I don't have a problem with Feverfew becoming invasive. Not at all. It's well behaved. It does seed itself, yes, but not a lot, and the seedlings are easy as pie to yank up...it's never seeded anywhere but the garden, not even in the lawn.
If you're afraid of it simply deadhead the spent blooms. As an added bonus if you do, it'll bloom again in the fall.
gardeningmaniac
Rockport, MA

August 2, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #8014338

Don't be afraid of this plant. It is a filler that weaves your garden together into a coherent whole and is wonderful in cut bouquets. I have never had trouble controlling it and I can't imagine my garden without it. If it pops up somewhere I don't want (like at the feet of my roses), I either transplant it to a more desirable location or toss it on the compost pile.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

August 2, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #8014348

well said!!
wvgrows
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #8014402

This is one of my most-beloved plants, maybe because my grandmother gave it to me. Its ability to seed itself and withstand all kinds of conditions has served me well when I have forlorn areas I want to start "working up." When I see those bright little flowers, it's just so CHEEERFUL!
And, deer do not eat it (I use it as camouflage near emerging lilies and clematis). It decorated my son and daughter's organic wedding cake, and it does have clear herbal uses. Glad to see one of my favorites featured!
lobelialady
Griffith
Canada

August 6, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8739835

Seems I'm in the minority here. Have since moved to a more northerly area and find the deer resistant idea very encouraging. Part of my problem with the spreading of the feverfew was the fact that my garden was a small city plot..and I had other plants to fit in...another plant that I found wanted to take over was Melissa officinalis...lemon balm and Mentha spicata, spearmint. In the small area they all had their own spots but wanted to take over other less hardy but just as desirable plants... So... now that I have a much larger area to fill with herbs and flowers I'm considering giving feverfew, melissa and mint a bit of a break. If they want to spread...I won't care! Have also found (happily) that I have Joe Pye weed, (Eupatorium) along the stream... Now that's a plant I really can love! (and if it's a little bit invasive ...who cares??!! I've got room for it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fabulous Feverfew Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great ideas! Great article! grampapa 18 Apr 9, 2012 2:34 PM
Protection against gopher damage molly92 1 Mar 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Feverfew nicholtammy 0 Jul 28, 2010 9:48 AM
Feverfew daphnep 0 Jul 28, 2010 1:13 PM
Fond Memories Sunflower1888 0 Apr 3, 2012 9:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America