Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Aunt Bett, Poke Sallit, and the Asphidity Bag: What memories!

Communities > Forums > Article: Aunt Bett, Poke Sallit, and the Asphidity Bag
bookmark
Forum: Article: Aunt Bett, Poke Sallit, and the Asphidity BagReplies: 1, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scottsmom
Point Phillips , PA
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #4619076

Oh, the war, yes I remember sitting on the stairs watching my mother ironing. She ironed fast and cried faster. "Why are you crying, Mommie"? I said. "Your uncles are coming home"! She said. I had two new uncles to meet and was 4 years old.

No poke salit but dandelion greens hunted with my grandfather and his pocket knife. The sun was barely up and the grass all dewy "Only the small tender ones, not the bitter big ones or Nana will send us back for more. This was only eaten with bacon dressing. The good PA Dutch kind not store-bought. Later we collected the flowers for wine making. No waste for this plant.

Have a cold? No worries about overdosing as the bottles of today warn you. Take 1 part lemon juice, 1 part honey and 1 part glycerin. Put this in a glass with a spoon and have a spoon full whenever the urge to cough comes on.

The worst part about a chest cold was getting your chest rubbed with goose grease. Then a square of itchy wool flannel was pinned inside your undershirt till the cold was better. No complaining about itchin or stinkin!

If you wanted a pie, well go take the boat and row over to the swamp and pick some huckleberries (I didn't know they were blueberries till I was grown.) By the way, watch out for the bears, the bushes were taller than our heads and a few time Mr. Bear was right in the area having his lunch.

Pick a couple of quarts extra and Pop would make some wine.

Oh yes, more about colds, elderberry wine was warmed and a full glass was the prescription. Then off to bed, wake up with no more cold, or so they said. I think if you had that full glass, you didn't care if you had a cold or not.

Oh yes, they really were the GOOD OLE DAYS!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5829704

Scottsmom,
I was reading back through my articles and I realize I never answered your comment. I remember reading it and smiling, but I didn't answer it, and for that I apologize. The comments that folks leave on my articles are the push that I need to write the next article.

Thanks for sharing your memories, and all those uses that plants provided.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Aunt Bett, Poke Sallit, and the Asphidity Bag Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
So evocative of a lost time Zuzu 44 Apr 6, 2011 3:14 PM
Thank you! imapigeon 10 Apr 13, 2008 1:40 AM
Enchanting herbalbetty 2 Mar 8, 2008 12:41 AM
Shar, you are brilliant! flowerhead410 3 Apr 4, 2011 5:24 PM
Asphidity Dollykat 3 Apr 4, 2011 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America