Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: How to get Lavender to start from seed

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 7, Views: 173
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
growingup
Tucson, AZ

March 4, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #4621318

I have tried 5 different ways, and each time, it never sprouts. I tried straight in the ground, buried 1/4" in a peat seed starter (2x), Sitting on top of the peat seed starter (2x). I cannot seem to get them to sprout. Do I have a bad batch of seeds maybe? Or is it user error?
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2008
11:48 PM

Post #4622968

I sowed a lot last year and none came up. You may have to use bottom heat, but lavender doesn't all germinate at the same time. a local nursery gets theirs in trays from an outside source because she said she could never get it to germinate.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2008
12:07 PM

Post #4624771

I bought Munstead Lavender this year and about a half of the seeds germinated. I put them in plastic cells filled with potting soil(Miracle Gro) place the cells in a larger tray that is used as a water reserve and placed a lamp about two inches from the cells.I put a clear pastic cover over the cells until they germinated. I think I used plastc wrap. Also I tried to put one or two seeds in each cell. I placed the seeds on top of the soil and gently pressed them down a bit into the soil.The ones that did germinate look good. I let them dry out only for a short time. I hope this helps. Try again. I think transferring them to my garden will be the challenge this year but that's another post.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2008 7:10 AM

Thumbnail by diggerette
Click the image for an enlarged view.

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2008
12:07 PM

Post #4624772

Here's my set up

Thumbnail by diggerette

growingup
Tucson, AZ

March 5, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #4625269

Thanks. I tried again yesterday by sewing straight into the garden because I think that the soil is much warmer outside than in here. I have about half of the seeds left so I am going to do a setup like yours inside with the plastic covering and see if it helps. Thank you!
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2008
9:34 PM

Post #4626697

Good luck!
goofybulb
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2008
6:55 AM

Post #4641045

I had two attempts to germinate the lavender seeds that I bought (Munstead and French).
First time, completely unsucessful, I sowed them in home-made cells with seed-starting potting mix. Nothing germinated. In the same timeframe, two of my friends (I equally divided the packs so each of us would try her own ways) sowed them directly in their gardens, and nothing came up (more than 3 weeks waiting).
Then I thought that it might be too hot and humid in Miami (I did this I think mid August), and put the packs of seeds in the refrigerator. I forgot about them for some time (almost a month), and when I found them, sowed again in my home-made cells outside, in bright shade, and very superficially (almost uncovered). Munstead started sprouting in about a week, but with very poor germination rate (the final number of seedlings I've got was 5 out of 20). French was slower, it started after almost two weeks, but I've got 15 out of 20.
I still believe that keeping them in the refrigerator for a while helped them.
Also, you might want to try seeds from a different company. The ones I had didn't say when they were harvested. Later on I found that some other companies here put on their seed packs either the year of collection or they say "to be sold by 2008" or "for 2008 season" (I think the last version is Burpee's).
Do not despair, it's not you, lavenders are famous for the low germination rates. Try as many conditions as you think of, in small batches of seeds. If you find a method that works for you, and you need a lot of plants, you can always buy more seeds.
I wish you good luck and a lot of lavender sprouts soon!
PS. The one in the pic is Munstead.

Thumbnail by goofybulb

goofybulb
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2008
7:06 AM

Post #4641054

My cells are little "colada cups", I guess two woman's thumbs fit in there, the hand in the previous pic is mine. I perforated the bottom for good drainage, and set several such cups filled with soil into a 4 inch sauces. I always watered in the saucer, not in the little cups, and 3-4 little holes in each cup let all the necessary water in.
This pic has in the close-up the French seedlings, and in the back you can see one of my sprouting saucers.
So far, the colada cup method proved great for me, both for seeds and for very small cuttings.
My problem with lavender is to keep them alive in this humid climate. I had 3 plants bought that succumbed in less than a month each. So I decided to start them from seed, at least it costs me less if I fail.
For instance, the Munstead all died after 2-3 months. I still have the French ones, but the humidity is low right now. We'll see later on, in a couple of months. But this will not be your case, and I am told that they love hot dry weather.
One more thing: while they are little seedlings, they love and need lots of water. I killed a few seedlings just because the soil was not moist enough.
Hope it helped somehow.
Again, Good luck and happy plants to you!
Alexandra

Thumbnail by goofybulb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America