Photo by Melody

Article: Cheddar Pinks: sometimes pink, never cheesy!: Thank you!

Communities > Forums > Article: Cheddar Pinks: sometimes pink, never cheesy!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Cheddar Pinks: sometimes pink, never cheesy!Replies: 7, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2008
9:52 AM

Post #4624659

Great article and lots of good information. Of course, I gotta have me some of these!! Beautiful photos. Well done, Darius!!
Thanks
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #4626338

What was most fascinating to me was knowing that "cheddar" referred to a geographic location and that "pinks" had nothing to do with color! I love this kind of information (and the plants are wonderful as well). Thanks!
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2008
9:04 PM

Post #4626590

I've had a large circle of these around a pin oak tree for about 25 years or so.. ...very fragrant every May.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2008
9:18 PM

Post #4626639

:) It was fun writing it, and now I'm anxious for mine to start spring growth!
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #4626753

Like, LariAnn, I find the information about the name very interesting. I usually have several of the so called annuals growing in my yarden. They live about 3 years then must be replaced.I've tried the true perennials but we dont have good enough drainage for them. Our soil is called black gumbo(black clay).
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #4627736

I'm also a big fan of these plants. I started some 'rainbow loveliness' seeds last Winter, so I'm looking forward to a big show out of them this year. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/869/

This year I've started old fashioned standard Cheddar pinks. They always remind me of my MIL, who passed away in England last year.

Thanks for this lovely article, Darius.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2008
3:03 AM

Post #4628105

Great article! I enjoyed reading your bio too. I also enjoy nutrition and am studying now to become an RD. I am winter sowing for the first time this year, and today I noticed two of my containers had seedlings starting, and one was my Cheddar Pinks!!! I've never tried growing dianthus before either, so now I can't wait!!!

happy gardening :)
~Diana
limylady
Crescent, OK

July 12, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #7962050

Thanks for your information on these lovely little garden gems - I too love this kind of low upkeep & have had baths for eight years growing in a very neglected part of my garden - every year they reward me with little babies that I transplant to other flower beds & they never disappoint me - always growing en mass @ the most beautiful fragrance - lovely.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Cheddar Pinks: sometimes pink, never cheesy! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
'Bath's" Pink and my grandson Kathleen 6 Mar 5, 2008 9:41 PM
Thanks RoseyQ 1 Mar 5, 2008 9:24 PM
I just love the smell of pinks... girlgroupgirl 3 Mar 12, 2008 1:07 AM
A question Caedi25 1 Jul 10, 2010 2:04 PM
First Love Dianthus LeslieT 1 Jul 12, 2010 7:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America