Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Mosaics and Stained Glass: Oh Happy Days - snowday, can work on my SG piece!!!

Communities > Forums > Mosaics and Stained Glass
bookmark
Forum: Mosaics and Stained GlassReplies: 43, Views: 579
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 5, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #4624955

So glad I picked up and had started on Sunday a piece for myself..needed to get the support unit for my Taurus 3, got it, installed it and now ready to enjoy my day!
Who knows how much I'll get done, but am hoping all of it..at least the cutting and soldering!

Edited to say my girlfriend Gail made the pattern..

This message was edited Mar 5, 2008 9:33 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chickeemama
Graham, WA

March 5, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #4625571

Wow what a cute piece you've got going on there!!! You are going to get it cut and foiled and soldered in one day??? Amazing!!! The foiling takes me the longest...the soldering (which I do NOT do well!!!) is the next longest.

I love your glass your using for the vase, it makes it look as if there are petals floating in it. I have used that glass (cant remember what its called.) before and it always look so nice. The sky and the table color choices are dead on and look perfect!

Your girlfriend made the pattern. She has some great talent for that!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 6, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #4627409

Didn't get it all done got sidetracked...

As for how much I can accomplish - I cheat..
I have the Taurus 3 saw which does wonders and I have the large foiler..not I've told you my secret you won't think I'm so talented..lol...

This is as far as I got with working at home answering calls and going to the Dr.'s office...

Gail made 2 beautiful Georgian Bay scenes and this one..she teaches stained glass..has a son who is Autistic and so each year she designs a project, makes it and donates it to the society that she belongs to in efforts of raising money..last year it made over $2,000.

So I'm very lucky to have all 3...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

chickeemama
Graham, WA

March 6, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #4628195

I dont know Bettypauze I have the taurus too but I swear I couldnt get it all done in one day!! You have a foiling machine??? Maybe that makes it so much faster!! Ha ha!!

Its turning out great and Im so impressed with it...and your work.

Gail sounds like a terrific lady!!!

Oh and I finally remembered what the glass was called...confetti!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 6, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #4629464

Chickeemama...do you cut out each piece with your Taurus, maybe that the different..for example if you look at the water I glue a copy of the water section onto the glass then I cut out the pieces, set aside those that are replace with another color..sure beats piece by piece..then if there is a difficult piece, I solder all and then trace the piece I need and it fits in like a charm..
chickeemama
Graham, WA

March 7, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #4631689

I do both. I cut with the taurus and the good ol hand cutter. I really think Im so slow at foiling and soldering!!!!

I have done leaded glass but not a lot of copper foil so Im really bad at foiling the pieces and soldering them...I taught myself so that also is probably why Im slow!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 7, 2008
12:07 PM

Post #4633085

Can only get better with practice..they have a soldering class coming up in April with one of Canadian top stained glass artist..I really should take it..gives wonderful tips and visual instructions..you talked me into it..will call and see if they are booked or not...lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 26, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #5005902

Sitting here going through old threads..OMG did I really say it was a 'snow' day and I'd work on my piece hoping to finish it...here it's the end of may, more than 3/4 done but now it's a 'sunshine' day and I've got to play in the garden..plants need me...always another snow day coming later right?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 30, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #5344343

OMG girls/guys, just looked at last post and it was end of May...project was 3/4 done back in March, where did the time go..lol..it's still on the craft room table with only needed about 3 hrs. work to complete...maybe if I uncovered it from all my other craft projects I'd be more tempted to finish it...so here goes, trying to complete this long weekend..let's see if I can do it..
SacValley
Wilton, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2008
4:14 AM

Post #5347152

the loss of time happened w/my last project..started great-guns; got sidetracked...restarted and had it finished in no time. Glad ya found it again! Looking forward to seeing it posted.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 11, 2008
2:23 PM

Post #5399046

SacValley, got as far as tracing and cutting out the daffodil, went shopping, grandchildren visited for the weekend and alas, project remains in same condition..don't know why, I'm usually so good at finishing all I start..??? hmmm must be a reason!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 6, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #5974581

OMG I'm embarassed, what a slacker I am...posted in August that I would complete this project and I've but a few hours left and it's sitting waiting for me to do so..could use busy doing Christmas crafts etc. but no excuse...out it comes...my goal, finish this project this weekend...please check up on me to make sure I do...prodding is the only way I'll finish it...

tks all
SacValley
Wilton, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #5993195

Betty, I'm cking up on you..how much did you get finished?
I worked on a lamp shade I started a couple months back. I finished the upper panels, but now don't like the look of the skirt, so have spent way too much time redesigning it and probably will end up back to the orginial.
we need an update from you!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 13, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #6001673

LOL, hanging my head once again in shame... got to making rag quilts on the weekend and no stained glass..now that I've tidied up my work area just a tad I'll take it out..now that I know someone in this world is checking up on me I'll be sure to get it done...

As for your lamp shade..must agree, you want to keep on but sometimes it's better just to start over...can you un-solder that section and recut, refit?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #6003880

OK..got it out, set on table ready to finish this weekend..after looking SacValley at your beautiful butterfly I'm wondering why I picked such a project..but then my girlfriend who owns the stained glass studio designed this one herself .. best I stop complaining and procrastinating and get it done...once I put clear glass around the oval and then bevels to frame it in I might like it...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

SacValley
Wilton, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6004329

Betty, you picked it because it's a beautiful peaceful scene. I know you'll love it by the end of the week. I like the confetii (sp) glass in the vase, very nice touch.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6004347

Well thanks to your checking in on me I will get it done..I have such a beautiful sheet of molted glass...
Loveshorses
Payson, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2009
8:18 AM

Post #6232496

Bettypauze, Where is your finished piece????? I was brouzing... and we havn't seen the finished piece of ART yet. I just know it is beautiful!!!! Is it to late????? Don't be shy!!! We all love to see everything!!!!!!! Please come back...
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

March 8, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6238004

I'm also checking up on you, and love the piece. Now more pressure coming on you Betty.:0) Will be backkkkkkk!!!
SacValley
Wilton, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 8, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6239377

Betty, betty, betty,
to many beautiful projects, so little time in one day. I have an idea! put all your projects names on little pieces of paper and put them in a jar and pull out the winner (project) of the day!
:) jo
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6257153

I love the piece you are doing. Also think the pieces of paper in a basket would help on which project to do. LOL That can be a problem
Betty

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8688510

Betty, did you ever get this scene done? Would love to see it?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 12, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8688522

LOL, LindaKay, look at the photo up above and you will see exactly where I am..not sure why after almost having it done I DO NOT like it???? give me a kick in the pants please so I finish..could be mom's Christmas gift right...

Time to leave from home..hanging my head in shame...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8688579

LOL! Mom would love it!
Will be waiting on an update!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 13, 2011
4:36 AM

Post #8753286

NO, NO , your mom is going to hate it and be ashamed that her daughter made such an ugly thing ! Better send it to me and keep it out of her site so she won't know how little talent you have . D-mail for address and postage will be sent . LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 13, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8753478

Digger you are too cute, must tell you it's sitting in exactly same place as when I first posted..promise, as soon as I get through mid september I'm finishing it come h%#l or high water. Lol and you might just have to give me your addy..

something about this piece???
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 13, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8754655

I love anything that's hand made , be it wood or anything else . I've been collecting tile and have tumbled glass , but like you , other projects keep getting in the way .Right now , it's caulking a new room and putting in the insulation . Somehow those necessary things have to be done first .
I never turn down anything that's beauty .

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 13, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8754850

Sounds as though you are one busy lady as well..today it was about 1/2 day in gardens..started to rain so came in and worked on painting a matching floormat to a pillow I've on the bed lol..ready for final color then voila it's done!

Hope you aren't the one insulating..yikes you'll be itchy!

What is the plan for the tile and tumbled glass?

Time to call it a night
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 13, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8754885

My plan? One of these days ! I'd like to try glass on glass but don't want to invest in a lot of tools . Maybe a nice pair of nippers and cutter .Maybe tile a small floor to start with my tile scraps . Need more tile for that , so maybe a table or stepping stones . There are some beauties here on this forum.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8760072

great piece Betty .. thought maybe it would cool me off Snowday .. its 104* here ..lol
Digger use the 40% off coupons from HL to but some nippers & glass cutter. look on craigs list for scrap glass or tile:)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 16, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8760166

Denimangle, been hoping you in the south would be getting a reprieve from this heat!! Was just saying, I'll keep my snow, never more than a few days during winter months that I can't get out.. What treasure are you working on?

Happened to be under the dech tonight, saw a few windows, want to make them into garden art, must put my thinking cap on..oh/ oh there goes that piece on the back burner..
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8760248

have been playing with clay & recycled glass. I must be crazy firing up the kilns in this heat ...lol

Thumbnail by denimangle

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 16, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8760496

Sounds good , just too many irons in the fire , but it's on the to do list .

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 17, 2011
3:49 AM

Post #8760771

Omg that is absolutely beautiful..pendant?? All our ceramic type shops have closed, no outlet for clay..bought a small kiln for jewelry this spring, played for awhile but just not enough time seeing as I still am working..

You do awesome work!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8760886

Thanks Betty
you can see more here if you like :)
https://www.facebook.com/MetamorphosisUpcycledRectcledGlass?v=wall

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 17, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8760892

wow, just love it..thanks for the link!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 15, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #8968591

Drats, this is a never ending project it seems! There sits the same piece saying finish me PLEASE. Something about this project, anyone who knows me knows that when I start any project I'm at it until it is finished..sometimes same day.

Early enough in the day to set my sewing aside, organize and see what supplies I will need..maybe if I put it directly in front of me on working table I'd more than likely get at it.

Am sure you have heard me say that before right.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #8968618

We will be waiting to see the finished project.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 15, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #8968683

LindaKay how did I know you would be keeping an eye on me lol

You for one know nothing I undertake is left unfinished so this is a mystery to me
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

January 15, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #8968906

Still keeping an eye on your project, Betty. Looking forward to seeing it.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 4, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #8994798

Doing the happy dance, only took me 3 years..talk about trouble..the foiled pieces were tarnished, some even turned green..lots of work to make it somewhat clean enough to solder..not my taste..under the bed it will go until I can find someone to give it to!

Did give me the uge to do a few pieces..found a lamp shade cut and taped, belonged to a fiend that passed way..bought a base at Christmas tree shop for $3.99 so even though the panels won match up I'll finish it anyway..then found supplies for a few jewelry boxes .

If that wasn't enough bought some bobbles to make a modern piece..drats who would ever think these flat globs of glass would take to long to foil?? Hmmm not me. Lol
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #8994885

Betty foil them & but them in a cut and shake them around much faster them useing a fid..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 4, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #8995081

Omg. Do you think?? I've about 30 or so left, will try it this morning!

Now I'll never sleep, too anxious to try your method!! Lol

Thank you/ thank you!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 26, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9098611

denim angle, you have created a monster..finished the piece that had been sitting for several year but I've made 4 ultra modern pieces using a roundel and alleys..now firing making focal piece with some success..in the last 4 weeks I've made five, birthday gift and Christmas gifts..about 6 more to make and Mrs Claus will be happy and I can put away my SG equipment for another few years...yep foiling and jiggling in a container works beyond belief...thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Mosaics and Stained Glass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm trying stained glass mosaics without grout! luckygardnr 14 Aug 23, 2012 3:05 PM
How is your shop set up? SandiTX 26 Aug 3, 2009 4:15 AM
Show us all your bowling balls! luckygardnr 273 Aug 27, 2014 6:35 PM
A Demonstration: Breaking Properties of Tempered Glass scooterbug 10 Aug 28, 2007 4:50 AM
Glass painting Vee8ch 3 Dec 12, 2007 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America