Photo by Melody

Article: Cheddar Pinks: sometimes pink, never cheesy!: 'Bath's" Pink and my grandson

Communities > Forums > Article: Cheddar Pinks: sometimes pink, never cheesy!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Cheddar Pinks: sometimes pink, never cheesy!Replies: 6, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #4625016

darius, here again we have similar tastes. One of the first plants I planted in my new gardens was a "Bath's" pink. It grew in to a lovely big plant. One day when I had my grandchildren over, dgd and I were planting pansies (actually, she was rescuing worms). Stan sent dgs over to see if anyone wanted to go to town and to tell us what they had been up to. DGS settled himself comfortably down on the pink as if it were a cushion and proceeded to tell us about his morning. I looked up from my planting about half way through the narrative and pointed out the fact that he was sitting on a plant. He assured me that it was very comfortable.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #4625133

LOL Kathleen, that's TOO funny!
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #4625217

I have that one too, it is one of my favorites! I actually have sprigged it throughout my garden with great success...meaning it took and bloomed when sprigged, but I have to admit the sprigs have not matured as quickly as I would have hoped, into large spreading mounds, like the parent plants were.

They do get a bit leggy when older, but are so rewarding and easy to care for!

Darius, I bet your place is like a little piece of Heaven on Earth. I love the Mountains, and the sound of a trickling creek!
amethystsm
belleville, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2008
7:06 PM

Post #4626201

Nice article, Darius - i love my dianthus, Firewitch is one of my favourite plants.

Great story, Kathleen! Mine might as well be a cushion...
My Bath's Pink grows, and grows, and grows. It just doesn't bloom. The 1st year i brought it home with a couple of blooms on it, and never got anymore. Last year, i got 3 blooms total. My firewitches bloom like crazy, and the annuals bloom all summer and into the fall.
Go figure...

amy
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #4626271

Agree - great article Darius and funneeeee Kathleen. Sometimes I just plop down next to a big clump in our garden and close my eyes and inhale deeply - feels like my Grandpa is sitting right next to me :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #4626642

Amy, do you fertilize them? They HATE fertilizer...
amethystsm
belleville, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #4626715

Nope. Mostly i ignore all the dianthus except for deadheading (so not a problem with the Bath's) and giving them haircuts when they get too big.
i gave away lots of little rooted bits from my Bath's Pink last year - i can't wait to find out if they bloom for anyone else.
i think mine is defective.
; )

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Cheddar Pinks: sometimes pink, never cheesy! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you! doccat5 7 Jul 12, 2010 6:24 AM
Thanks RoseyQ 1 Mar 5, 2008 9:24 PM
I just love the smell of pinks... girlgroupgirl 3 Mar 12, 2008 1:07 AM
A question Caedi25 1 Jul 10, 2010 2:04 PM
First Love Dianthus LeslieT 1 Jul 12, 2010 7:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America