Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
orangehawkweed
Lake Dallas, TX

March 5, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #4626786

If bunching onions are planted in fall, when do they make bulbs and when do they multiply at their base?

Does this all happen in the first growing season?

I am in north Texas, I am assuming I plant them in fall. The bulbing onion seeds are planted in mid October here, from what I read. Would it be the same for bunching onions?

I plant my carrots and such about sept 1-15.

I guess this is the same question but when can you pull them to eat, and do you just immediately replant a few for next year. Should it be the small or large bulbs. Our soil never freezes here.

When separating bunches of onions, to replant, what time of year should this happen?

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2008
10:39 PM

Post #4626903

Hawk, you need to differentiate bunching onions from multipliers or shallots. Many of the "bunching" onions are single bulb onions. Multipliers /shallots form a cluster of bulbs. In dealing with the multipliers they are harvested when the tops fall over and die for mature onions. The small ones are saved as sets for the next planting. Bunching onions are used almost exclusively as "green" onions. The bulbing onions that we use in the south are short day onions, meaning that bulbing is triggered by as little as 10 hours of daylight. Long day onions take about 16 hours of daylight to bulb. I am not aware of any short day bunching or multiplier onions, But since they are generally used as green onions, it probably does not make a lot of difference. For regular onions it means the difference between March/April harvest and July harvest. They will all live through our winters so you can use either fall or late winter (February) planting. Edited to add. Shallots/multipliers http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=shallot&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search&offset=0 Bunching onions http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=onion, bunching&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

This message was edited Mar 5, 2008 5:44 PM
orangehawkweed
Lake Dallas, TX

March 6, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #4629186

I have evergreen bunching onion seed.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #4630658

I have not grown Evergreen, but it is a very popular scallion and quick to make green onions. http://www.denverplants.com/veg/html/alliu_cep.htm While this site offers the standard " sow one month before last frost date" this type of onion is popular as as an overwintering onion in England. So I would expect a fall planting would work for you. It is a single stalk onion, not a multiplier. They take approximately 75 days from emergence to table. Of course winter growing is much slower.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2008
7:10 AM

Post #4632864

ha ha- I have ONE Evergreen bunching onion. Its a big honkin' scallion shape that I have been waiting to see 'bunch' for three years!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2008
1:13 PM

Post #4633249

Bunch actually means bulbless onions that that you pull and tie up in bunches for market. Alternate names are scallions or salad onions. Onions that divide into multiple stalks are multipliers/shallots/potato onions.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #4633312

Thanks Farmerdill:) FINALLY I understand...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #4633504

(sound of dawn breaking) AAAAHHH! I misunderstood...Thanks Farmerdill.
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #4633667

A lightbulb is going on over here as well... I've been wondering about those L'itoi onions I've got, and now I know.

Thanks, Farmerdill, for explaining the distinction!
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #4637492

Here's a good site that explains the different types of onions along with some growing tips:

http://www.mastergardeners.org/picks/onions.html

Found it while looking for info on multiplier onions a friend gave me.
LaJaiFuGu
Milledgeville, GA

October 10, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #8147988

orangehawkweed Hi!

There are some bunching onions that bunch. Or are supposed to bunch. This Fall I have planted all kinds of Onions, garlic and Leeks.
The Type of bunching onion I bought that I think will bunch is named "Hi Shi Ko". With true bunching onions, you leave a few so they can "bunch back up".
so now, in Central Georgia, in Oct 2010, The seeds are up and in the ground here. I also planted some in a long container. They look like they want to bunch! haha. Will keep you posted.
drjeep33
Buena Vista, CO

April 23, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8516115

I live 8000ft in Colorado. My friend has bunching onions growing in his gound beds that survive winter lows of -20F. He has lots of mulching over them. He also is snug against a rather large and treed hillside. I did not think this was possible. I am making a raised bed, will they survive there also? I am in a more open housing development without trees and brush windbreaks.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8516225

You should care for them the same way your friend does and hope for the best. Even a bed on the south side of a house or shed is better off than no help at all. I suspect your friend actually has 'multiplying' onions, though- see above from Farmerdill explaining a true bunching onion.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2011 8:07 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America