Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Shady Gardens: how slow can i grow

Communities > Forums > Shady Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Shady GardensReplies: 15, Views: 140
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fernman23
HENDERSON, NV
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #4627361

So planted a Hellebore last year, and over wintered well. It has only grown one small branch with 3 leaves, i am a patient worrisome gardener, and wonder if there is a growth spurt coming this summer or something i should do to help the little H'Broe along ???
Any Suggestions? Please?
THANKS!
fernman23
ERIKRYAN
Forked River, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2008
10:07 PM

Post #4635138

I would like to see the answers to this also. After seeing so many beautiful ones at the Philly Flower Show last year...I had to buy a few. Of the 3, one looks ok...the other 2 don't look like they are going to make it.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #4640083

Make sure that they aren't getting too much water. GIve it another year to take off.
fernman23
HENDERSON, NV
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #4647516

ok, thanks!
:Darren
yotedog
Raleigh, NC

March 10, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #4647672

They grow VVEEERRRRYYYYYY SSSLLLOOOWWLLLLYYYYYYY...patience, my friend. Well worth the wait, but might be a few years.
fernman23
HENDERSON, NV
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #4648185

Again, thanks~i had no idea, I should have tried something else, lol, patience well...any faster winter bloomers suggested? Can only survive on catalogs for so long. Just Kidding, i thankfully live where my bulbs are popping, and feel empathy for the neighbors to the north.
best wishes all, and iwill be patient. Should MORE Sun speed it up (SEE there I go again, lol)
fernman23
yotedog
Raleigh, NC

March 11, 2008
6:37 PM

Post #4651025

Not if it's Las Vegas, NV sun. That would be a bit too much for it...as it is for me!
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2008
8:29 PM

Post #4651398

I've got one in most of the day sun but the leaves burn pretty badly and it's not that attractive year round. Better to give it it's shade and wait. Believe me, they seem to be able to grow in the dark.
fernman23
HENDERSON, NV
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2008
10:11 PM

Post #4655758

It only gets morning sun now, until the trees leaf out, then thankfully lotsa shade for it~
hope this 3rd branch goes strong!
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #4656163

Hang in there fern man. You'll be glad you did. I so love hellebores. They are such a great texture even when they aren't blooming and the flowers stay on the plant so long. Plus that they come early with the daffodils when nothing else is blooming.
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #4667273

Repeat the perennial plant mantra:
First they sleep
Then they creep
Then they leap
Give most good perennials 3-5 years to approach their full potential! That is why most gardeners over plant and end up with a crowded garden -'cause it looks so sparse and skimpy at first.
I know because I have done this-over and over and over!!

View picture to see what I mean- I keep lifting a big leaf and finding a wee little plant saying"Help, I need space!"
Good luck! MW

Thumbnail by mwhit
Click the image for an enlarged view.

fernman23
HENDERSON, NV
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #4668373

Mwhit~ ya trade places!????!!!...that is beautiful!!! I have dreams of getting there. and will, but another year or so. Doss, thanks too, I did not know the flowers were long lasting, thats great news, as so many of my flowers and bulbs have short lives, ESPECIALLY after the heat starts, I have my freesias just opening now, which is great, but in the afternoon the individual blooms get limp unless I keep light water on them! and it's only March...I can use the ones with staying power, like Ranunculus'! they are tough and I love them, so many colors. Here's a shot of a shady corner from last year with one of my visitors hanging around...still waitnig on pics form this year. No plants, notice? lol~ Actually they are all mid-shin to knee high!
fernman 23
:D

Thumbnail by fernman23

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #4670754

Very cute hummer fernman. How do you keep your ferns alive in all of that heat?
fernman23
HENDERSON, NV
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2008
5:57 PM

Post #4670881

i have an 8 foot bammboo fence around the whole yard which creates something of a mico-climate. it helps the summer hot winds from drying out the soil, and I fight the upwards evaporation of the needed humidity with, of course a lot of water. I mulch a lot, and also have plants that provide shade near the ferns in addition to the 3 fuitless mulberry trees, its really shady in the whole area except for right after the trees are trimmed which lets in early spring/late winter sun, which is not bad. I spoil and talk to them...lol. The real secret is the soil is sandy and a soaker hose combined seems to be the real trick. I love hummers, the year that ipc was taken i had a group of 5 in the yard everyday jostling for positions to get at water that i have flowing slowly out of a 1cm. tube into the birdbath~just small enough for them to drink out of woth no sugar, either. They loved it! I do hope they come bck this year, shot two rolls of film on them last year! another pic, sad it is so dark. He just sat on the bamboo stake and hung out. Too wild.
:Darren
fernman23

Thumbnail by fernman23

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2008
3:45 AM

Post #4673201

Very cute. We never get 5 hummers in the same place. Ours don't migrate so they are VERY territorial. It's fun to watch them dive bomb the other birds though. Sounds as if you have the fern thing down to a science.
fernman23
HENDERSON, NV
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #4675055

hardly...the hummers are more guaranteed...an especially hot summer or bad winter and i have to start over on one or two, but love them all the same, thanks for the kind words~its great watching the hummers fly around each other, you are right!
:Daren
fernman23

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Shady Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogwood Shrubs (flowering) Goldengirl 18 May 19, 2008 11:50 PM
info on shade-loving vine? Horseshoe 29 Oct 2, 2007 6:30 AM
Just a little shady corner. CountryGardens 7 Jul 22, 2009 8:17 PM
share your shade garden pics IowaAnn 198 Sep 15, 2008 4:42 PM
Problem area-wet shade, Please help Shadyfolks 52 Sep 13, 2008 3:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America