Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Invasive Shrub Removal Tool?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 10, Views: 130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

March 8, 2008
7:13 PM

Post #4638604

Just recently, I found a link on one of the threads for an excellent shrub grubber made in Canada. I thought I bookmarked it, but somehow I didn't. Does anyone know where that link is? The product is not the one listed in DG tools site, and I haven't been able to locate it on Google. It looked really good. It had a big orange handle, and was developed in British Columbia, Canada. Can anyone help me find it? Thanks.
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

March 10, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #4644444

I found it! It's the Extractigator. I'll be sure to post a review after using it to tear out lots of bush honeysuckle this spring.
CultivatingKate
Holmes, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2008
1:36 PM

Post #4670133

Hi Hoo...did you end up ordering this tool? If so, what do you think of it? I had been looking at the ShrubGrubber, WeedWrench, Honeysuckle Popper and Extractigator and felt the latter was the best tool. But I would sure like to hear from people who have tried the various options before making the financial committment.

I am a 60 year old woman whose husband is totally uninterested and not in that great shape anyway. So I have to do it myself. Mostly I am talking about taking out invasives such as forsythia, wild roses, sumac, and some large multistemmed shrubs of unknown species. I feel like I am living in a jungle with the edges of the cultivated property closing in on me. And I live in the northeast maybe only only 60 miles north of Manhattan. I cannot even imagine what other people's invasive species problems are.
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

March 16, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #4670538

I am going to order it this week. I have lots of bush honeysuckle and a little multiflora rose to get out. After checking out the competition, I think the Extractigator is the best bet, and worth the money if it works well. (I've spent hours cutting back and $$$ on RoundUp concentrate trying to get rid of my invasives!) I'll definitely let everyone know its effectiveness when I use it this spring. I will also post a review on the products part of DG.
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 19, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #4829715

I have a Weed Wrench and absolutely love it. I'm 50 something and not very strong, and would be lost without my Weed Wrench. Offensive shrubs and small trees virtually pop out of the ground with very little effort. It is one of the few tools that I have that actually does exactly what it says it will do. I have no experience with the others mentioned, but can highly recommend my Weed Wrench. I have the medium sized one.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2008
12:12 PM

Post #4834831

Weed Wrench? Where does that come from? xx, Carrie
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 20, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #4835699

You can check it out here: http://davesgarden.com/products/gp/view/4/

It looks like there has been one unhappy customer at DG, so be sure evaluate your size requirements. Toward the top of the page you will find a link to the company's web-site.
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #4854057

Just what I need! I don't weigh enough to even budge the shovel if I'm lucky enough to even get it in the ground. Let us know about the Extractigator!

I'm a little concerned about the Weed Wrench bending like the reviewer wrote.
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #4854118

I abused mine while clearing the scrub trees and brush out of the woods that border my lawn and it held up just fine.
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #4873744

They're so expensive!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2008
6:03 AM

Post #5528153

I know it's late, but I just found this thread, so I don't know if you've all found something good yet, but this is on my wish list: http://www.misterhoneysuckle.com/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America