Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Ornamental Gourds: Has anyone sucessfully grown gourds in containers?

Communities > Forums > Ornamental Gourds
bookmark
Forum: Ornamental GourdsReplies: 8, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #4639831

If so how big of a container and how many plants? Thanks! Jennifer
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #4639931

Last year I grew my short handle dipper and the loofa gourds in the 5-gallon size black pots. They did great, until I forgot to water them! But, they still produced gourds!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #4645937

I used a 24-inch terra cotta pot, three plants.
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2008
12:43 PM

Post #4657912

Here's what happened when I tried this: I planted two seeds each (canteens) in four 9" terra cotta pots. A seed each came up in only TWO; of those two, only ONE grew to become a plant with a few sets of leaves (and never reached that 'maturing' heart-shaped appearance) and then it, too, died. HOWEVER, a "handful" of mixed gourd seeds that I had "thrown away" (because I couldn't remember what they were) into a huge 16" wide "urn" planter with some marigolds and chamomile not only came up fine, but I had to THIN them quickly, and within a month and a half they had "caught up" with others I'd planted in the ground a full month to five weeks prior! I'm sure they would have been fine, but when flowers started to appear, and I had started hand-pollinating them (apple gourds, and a speckled swan!), I got nerevous and took them out back and planted them in the ground by a fence.

I'm SURE they would have been fine, had I left the odd four or five plants in the container, though, and plan to try it again, this time INTENTIONALLY, this Spring!

I don't know WHY the ones planted in the SMALLER pot (and given plenty of "room") failed, or WHY the ones thrown as a HANDFUL into a HUGE pot flourished, I'll just go with my instincts, and last year's results!

What are you wanting to plant in containers, jlp? I'm guessing that "small gourd" (and some mediums) will be fine, but the larger, longer ones (bushel, kettle, lh dipper, penguin, etc.) will not do well in a setting without plenty of strong, VERTICAL room to grow...

jip
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2008
2:00 PM

Post #4658184

I would like to plant some Egg Gourds and Small Ornamental Gourds in containers. I really just don't have the room for anything else.

I have a story simiar to yours. I planted alot of seeds starting around February 1st. The ones that sprouted in a reasonable amount of time stayed under the lamps, but the others (peat pellet and all) were thrown into a 12-16" container at the end of my potting table. I looked the other day to see if it was full, and the seeds from the discarded pellets are going crazy! The hyacinth beans are growing much stronger and thicker than the ones I had babied and potted up. There are some sweet peas that will probably bloom soon, and lot of others that are just trucking right along!

Has anyone else done this?
Rebeccatowoc
Stewart, TN

August 16, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #5423110

This year I tried growing gourds from seed in the "Earth Box" containers on an arbor. They sprouted, climbed, and flowered well, and set on a few gourdsd, but the gourds have not matured. In this particular situation I think there is too much shade from nearby trees, but the problem could also be that the containers tend to get too hot here in this part of middle Tennessee. I think next year I will put the gourds on lattice where there is more sun, and try a cypress vine in the arbor.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2008
1:18 PM

Post #5430286

I planted some Swan Gourds in a big cconcrete sewer type pipe...I call it my "raised bed"...I have had about 6 little gourds form...but only one that is maturing. and it is in full sun.

Where is Stewart, TN...I'm coming to Crossville in September to visit my son...are you near there? Jo
Rebeccatowoc
Stewart, TN

August 18, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5430513

Both Crossville and Stewart are in Middle Tenn., but they're about 150 miles apart. First trip? Fall seems to be starting a little early here and you may see some color. Zone 6-7 here, pretty good gardening. Fine trees (magnolias, oaks), crape myrtle, sedums. The blue-purple ironweed is blooming along the country roads now, and huge this year.

Where is Hereford? I was born in Tucson.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #5430634

Small world! Hereford is just outside Sierra Vista...the best place to live in AZ...JMHO...LOL

I was born in WV...lived a lot in VA...then FL...I have been to Crossville many times..and planned my trip to coincide with the fall colors...and the KY RU...come and join us...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/881730/

I will be visiting Elena, Grannylois (Dave's Mother), and Darius this trip...and any other DG'ers that get in my way!! LOL Jo

PS...I may end up living about 30 miles from Crossville...South of Cookeville...my DD that lives here bought land there and hopes to move in about 3 years...but I will still have another DD living here...so I may just visit until I can't travel any more!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America