Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Some kind of Woodpecker

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 20, Views: 220
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #4640541

Hello all!
I am new to "trying" to ID birds and get their pics. Could someone tell me what type woodpecker this is. It just showed up today at my wreath feeder and I don't know what type it is.
George

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 9, 2008
3:43 AM

Post #4640571

Hi daylilydaddy, You have a female Red-bellied Woodpecker.

The males have all red across the top part of the head.

Heres info and pics on them.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Red-bellied_Woodpecker.html

This message was edited Mar 8, 2008 10:45 PM
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2008
3:53 AM

Post #4640607

Thanks Pelletory!!
Now I know what to look for. One more question for ya. What is the really big woodpecker that looks to be the size of a small chicken and when it flies makes a very loud tropical bird sound. We have lots of these, but I can't get a pic. They fly higher in the trees and my poor little camera can't get a good pic. I get to watch them all the time here in my hollar.
George
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 9, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #4640680

Pileated Woodpecker??

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Pileated_Woodpecker.html#fig1
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2008
4:45 AM

Post #4640818

Could be it, but it seemed to be larger and its call was more "raspy" sounding. It looked like it. Maybe mine was a female. Maybe they are larger??
George
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 9, 2008
4:59 AM

Post #4640871

The Pileated is the largest of the NA Woodpeckers .

Maybe your talking about the Northern Flicker.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Northern_Flicker.html

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2008
5:05 AM

Post #4640879

Hey pelletory!
I think for sure its the Pileated Woodpecker. The sound it makes is pretty much dead on it. I usually see it flying more than being still, so i think it prob. looks like the Pileated more than the flicker.
THANKS!!
George
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 9, 2008
5:08 AM

Post #4640889

No problem! :-)
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

March 10, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4644211

Pelletory, isn't the Ivory-billed woodpecker larger than the Pileated?
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 10, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #4644264

Yes, your right. He's saying he's seeing lots of these woodpeckers so I wasn't including the Ivory-billed since there are very few but yes your correct. :-)

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #4644373

Oooh, more Pileated envy here!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2008
8:16 AM

Post #4645172

daylilydaddy-- do the woodpeckers like your suet set-up? Very interesting.
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

March 10, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #4645863

LOL pelle, if you ever see an Ivory-billed try to get a good photo of it and you'll be very popular :)
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #4645968

Hey Tabasco!!
They really seem to go at it. Sharran (sharon) that has popped in a couple of times on the ORV coffee thread wrote an article for DG about how to make the bird feeder wreath and how to make the suet mix. I have lots of vining plants and make wreaths with them for people, so I just made a "put together one" and added pine cones to stuff the suet in. I have tons of birds visit it all the time. It is attached to a tree in the front garden in perfect view of my "couch seat". I have another one in back garden with a perfect view out kitchen window. I love the nature look of it and watching the birds get their footing on wreath and tree trunk.
George
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #4646100

I guess I missed the article Sarran wrote. Maybe I can look it up. Thanks.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #4647377

Me too, here it is:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/409/
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2008
9:39 PM

Post #4647539

Oh, thank you, Mrs_Ed. A very nice article and good suet recipe, too!

I need one of those for my yard, too!

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #4648922

Tabasco
Those little wreaths I made have been the greatest thing to watch this winter. The birds preferred it to the store bought feeders. I think it has a more "natural" look for them. I have to load my wreath about twice a week. I make up the suet mix in the shortening container and keep it in fridge and take it out a few hours before loading wreath to soften it a bit. I do add a bit more seed than the recipe call for. I buy the cheap stuff at the dollar store. They have all the ingredients and it cost nothing really to give the birds a good treat.
George
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #4651247

Thanks, daylilydaddy. I'll give them a try. I have some viney twigs around here and I can weave something together for the a nice wreath.

I have some pretty good suet in the fridge right now that might work too.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2008
8:51 PM

Post #4651461

One thing I think she didn't add, but I do is pine cones. I attach them to the wreath with floral wire and use the cones that have opened up really nice. You can mash more suet mix in these.
George

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #4651491

That does sound nice, like how the kids make those pine cones with suet/seed. I'm going to try this. I have tons of grapevine available. And I'd like to watch birds through the summer this year, which I never really did. We always put the feeders away when the bugs showed up. It will be nice to add some fruit to this. Speaking of which, do any birds like cranberries? I would think maybe robins? I've had some out for a while and I don't think any takers.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America