Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: The Invaders: Milkweed: Milkweed

Communities > Forums > Article: The Invaders: Milkweed
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Invaders: MilkweedReplies: 7, Views: 120
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
oriole
Mifflintown, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2008
10:19 AM

Post #4641128

Great article, Thanks for the warning, I didnt know that abt the common milkweed. I had A Curassavica last yr.But I sure made a BO BO I convinced my daughter to let some milkweed to grow. Mums the word abt that. LOL

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #4642417

I want more to grow in my yarden because it is a survival food and I just plain like it. But it won't grow here very well. I have maybe 3 plants that have been here for about 5 years and they are it. Farmers around here probably spray enough to keep it killed out pretty well as I don't even see it in the ditches very much anymore.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #4643107

You might want to look up a variety that will have better luck in your garden.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #4643249

But are the ones other than the common wild one eatable? I've only ready about the one I am familiar with around here(central MO).
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #4643649

As far as I know, all milkweeds are somewhat toxic.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #4644102

I read about cooking it this special way in a Yuell Gibbons book. You have to start with fresh COLD water 3 times to make it safe. It rivals asparagus in early spring.
kmm44
Dayton, OH

March 11, 2008
4:16 AM

Post #4649326

I have two milkweed cultivars, tuberosa (orange butterfly weed) and incarnata (swamp milkweed). My son brought the incarnata up from his brother's yard where he had planted it 2 years before. It does spread readily and I've moved it to different beds. The butterfly weed I rescued from next door. My friend, Diana, had planted it several years ago. It grew through the chain link fence and actually bloomed on my side. Diana and her husband, unfortunately, split up and she moved our of state leaving him with the house and yard. He wasn't into gardening and sadly neglected the yard , which had once been a wonderland of woodland wildflowers. When he moved, the new owner told me she was going to put up a privacy fence for the dogs and grass over the whole yard. She told me I could take anything I wanted out of the yard before the fence went up.
One of the plants I rescued was the butterflyweed, which has rewarded my efforts by thriving in its new bed, blooming longer and reblooming after I cut it back. It had never rebloomed before. It sprouted some babies last summer and I took them up to our weekend home at the lake, 1 hr. N of here. I hope they "took" and come up to give me more enjoyment.
There is a special place in my heart for my brave little butterflyweed, lol.
Milkweeds are very important for the survival of the monarch butterfly, whose existence is threatened all over its range.
Neither of my milkweeds has become invasive and I look forward to their appearance every summer.
EleanorZRuch
Hatfield, PA

March 12, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9039459

Hmmm...had never heard of Common Milkweed being edible, LeafLady. How fun would THAT be!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Invaders: Milkweed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm glad there was a happy ending! carrielamont 19 Mar 12, 2008 7:58 PM
Whew! doccat5 5 Mar 10, 2008 1:56 PM
Thanks! CompostR 0 Apr 15, 2008 12:45 PM
me too! klapot 1 Jul 28, 2008 4:14 AM
milkweed gardengirl86 2 Mar 12, 2012 9:00 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America