Photo by Melody

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Lemon Jelly!

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 27, Views: 626
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jenhillphoto

jenhillphoto
Danbury, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #4641730

I made this recipe last night. It was posted on a thread from last year. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/682714/

I didn't have enough lemons left on my (meyer) lemon tree to do a whole recipe. I only had 9 lemons left, so I halved it. I followed all the other instructions. This was super easy and fast! I'm not a big fan of the zest of the meyer lemon, so using only the juice was a good recipe for me. It's plenty lemony, but not too tart for me. I think regular lemons would make it much tarter, since meyers are milder. The flavor stood up to a piece of wheat toast just fine this morning. The consistency was perfect for jelly.

Original recipe:

3 3/4 cups of lemon juice
7 cups of sugar
2 (3 oz. pkgs.) pectin

For Half a Recipe:

15 oz lemon juice (6 lemons for me)
3 ½ C sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin

Yield: 5 @ 8oz jars (half recipe)

Juice the citrus and combine in a pan with sugar and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Remove the foam on the top of the mixture and add the pectin. Pour it into sterilized jars and lids. Screw on the covers and turn upside down for 5 minutes. Turn the jars over and make sure when they cool that the lids are not able to push in.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2008 12:42 PM

Thumbnail by jenhillphoto
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #4642393

I just printed that!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #4642489

Looks Yummy! I LOVE anything lemon flavored.

I have these recipes, if you'd like them:
Meyer Lemon and Bartlett Pear Marmalade
Meyer Lemon and Blood Orange Marmalade
Raspberry Lemon Marmalade
Lemon Rosemary Jelly

jenhillphoto

jenhillphoto
Danbury, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #4642548

darius, all of those recipes sound great. Post 'em if ya got 'em. Thanks!

This is the first year my meyer lemon has produced fruit. I got 18 lemons this time. Wonder what's in store for years to come. I'll need all the recipes I can get.

Jen

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #4642652

LEMON ROSEMARY JELLY

Recipe From PRESERVING TODAY by Jeanne Lesem
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 each 4 oz lemons
4 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup fresh rosemary
sugar
rosemary sprigs -- optional

Slice lemons crosswise as thin as possible with a sharp knife or mandoline.
Discord the ends and seeds. Place lemon slices in the water in a large mixing
bowl and let stand, uncovered, overnight, or for at least 12 hours.

The next day, transfer mixture to a 3 quart saucepan, and boil rapidly for 30
minutes. Brush the rosemary and add during the last 5 mins. of cooking.
Remove from heat, cover tightly, and let stand 30 mins.

Drip mixture though a dampened jelly bag or 4 thicknesses of dampened
cheesecloth until you have about 3 cups of juice. At this stage, you may
freeze the jelly stock for later use.

To make an 8 oz. jar of jelly, place 1 cup jelly stock and 1 cup sugar in a
3 quart saucepan, bring to a boil, and boil rapidly for 10 to 15 mins., or
until gel tests done. Remove from heat, and stir and skim 3 to 5 mins.

If desired, place a fresh rosemary sprig in a hot, sterilized jar before
filling it. Seal, invert for 5 mins., then set upright to cool.

To make a 12 oz. jar of jelly, use 1 1/2 cups each of jelly stock and sugar;
or for the entire recipe, 3 cups of jelly stock and 3 cups of sugar, and
proceed as above.

* The author suggests using this as a relish. She suggests is it good served
on the side with roast meats or used as a glaze in the last 15 to 20 mins. of
cooking. She also suggests substituting it for the sugar when making
applesauce or for sautéing apple slices. I think it would be good without
straining out the rinds as a jam on biscuits!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #4642656

Meyer Lemon and Blood Orange Marmalade

½ lb Meyer lemons
8 lbs blood oranges
1 pkt low-sugar powdered pectin - (1.75 oz)
4 cups sugar

Rinse lemons and oranges. Using a vegetable peeler, cut colored part only from 2 of the lemons and 4 of the oranges. Finely chop peel. Put 2 tablespoons lemon peel, 6 tablespoons orange peel, and 1 cup water in a 6- to 8-quart pan; discard remaining peel.

With a sharp knife, cut and discard remaining peel and membrane from the lemons and 10 of the oranges. Cut fruit into chunks, discarding seeds.

In a blender or food processor, whirl lemons, then oranges, a portion at a time, until you have 2 cups that are smoothly pureed. Pour puree into pan.

Whirl remaining fruit, rub juice through a strainer into a bowl, and measure. Squeeze enough juice from remaining oranges to make a total of 4 cups; add juice to pan.

Place pan over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring often. Continue to boil, stirring often, until reduced to 5 cups, about 8 minutes.

In a small bowl, mix pectin and 1/4 cup sugar. Add pectin mixture to pan. Stir over high heat until mixture returns to a rolling boil. Add remaining sugar and stir until mixture returns to a rolling boil. Stir and boil exactly 1 minute. Remove from heat.

At once, ladle marmalade mixture into clean canning jars (1-cup size) to within 1/8 inch of top. Wipe jar rims clean. Set a new flat canning lid on each jar. Screw on bands.

Let marmalade cool at least 24 hours. Check seals by pressing firmly on centers of the lids. If a lid pops back, it's not sealed; store unsealed marmalade in the refrigerator.

Yield: 7 to 8 half-pints

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2008
6:42 PM

Post #4642658

Meyer Lemon and Bartlett Pear Marmalade

2 ½ lbs Meyer lemons - (15 to 20) see * Note
2 ½ lbs Bartlett pears - (6 medium) diced 1/2" pieces
7 ½ lbs sugar - (15 cups)
¼ tsp fresh herbs or spices, such as mint, cinnamon or nutmeg

Note: The Meyer lemon is a cross between a mandarin orange and a lemon, so it's sweeter and less acidic than the standard lemon.

Cut off and discard lemon ends. Slice lemons in half lengthwise. Cut halves crosswise into very thin slices, including peel, pith, and seeds.

Heat oven to 100 degrees. Spread sugar in a baking dish, and place in oven. Heating the sugar first to help it dissolve more quickly in the marmalade and to keep the temperature of the fruit more constant.

In a 10- to 12-quart stockpot, combine lemons, pears, herbs, or spices (if using), and 5 cups water. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, keeping at a gentle boil. Cook until lemons are tender, about 1 hour.

Add warmed sugar. Return to a full rolling boil (one that cannot be stirred down), about 10 minutes. Remove seeds that float to the top. Remove from heat.
Use a liquid measuring cup to pour marmalade into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch space at top. Wipe rim of jar clean. Place rubber ring on rim of jar, and fasten top (or follow manufacturer's instructions). Never re-use lids, the seals may not work a second time.

Allow marmalade to cool completely. Store unopened jars in a cool dry place for up to one year and unsealed jars in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.

Yield: 10 pints

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2008
6:42 PM

Post #4642662

Raspberry Lemon Marmalade

4 med lemons
1 ¼ cups water
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 cinnamon stick
3 cups crushed fresh or frozen raspberries (about 4 pints)
7 cups sugar
1 pouch (3 oz.) liquid fruit pectin

Grate peel from lemons and place in a medium saucepan. Trim white pith from lemons and discard. Cut lemons in half and remove the seeds. Chop pulp; set aside. Add water, baking soda and cinnamon to saucepan; bring to a boil.

Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add lemon pulp; return to boil.

Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove cinnamon. In a large kettle, combine the raspberries, sugar and lemon mixture; bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes. Quickly stir in pectin; return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; skim off any foam. Pour into hot jars, leaving 1/4 in. headspace.

Adjust caps. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.

Yield: 8 half-pints.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #4644256

quite interesting thread, I haven't heard of lemon jelly bet it's wonderful. I love lemon more than anything, all my shampoos, and lotions are lemon scented LOL
KatG
Port Charlotte, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 23, 2008
7:19 AM

Post #4697942

Jen...Love your recipe and am going to try it! And don't you just love these new jars from Ball! Seen them for the first time the other day!

jenhillphoto

jenhillphoto
Danbury, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #4699135

Yes, those jars are cute. I bought them a while ago, not knowing what would go in them. Thought possibly roasted red peppers, but never got around to it. The only thing is, they come with the silver cap to match the ring and I have never seen replacement silver caps.

I really love the lemon jelly. I made lemon curd last night with the last of my lemons. I think that I may prefer with regular lemons rather than meyers.
CascadeMom
Cascade Mtns, WA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #4723713

OMG the marmalades sound GREAT!! As does the lemon jelly!
I'm getting in the canning mood. LOL

KatG
Port Charlotte, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 29, 2008
7:12 AM

Post #4724880

Hey Jen...I'm a lime nut! They're pretty plentiful down here right now. What do you think about sustituting limes? (You have a lemon tree in CT? That's pretty cool!)

CascadeMom...I don't know what's got into me either. I've really gotten into the canning mode lately...made dill pickles and pickled eggs last week! Might make some bread and butter pickles this week!

Thumbnail by KatG

jenhillphoto

jenhillphoto
Danbury, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2008
12:39 PM

Post #4725182

KatG- Tree is a generous word. It's more like a plant at this point. Miss Lemontree goes out in the summer and inside in the winter. I've had her about 3 years now. This summer, (her second) she made her first batch of lemons. There were 18. They take a long time to ripen.

I think you could make lime jelly with that recipe. Couldn't hurt to try. That recipe is so easy too!

Jen

Thumbnail by jenhillphoto

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #4725786

What a great picture with the sunny lemons in front of a snow scene...Deb
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #4732889

Looks like that little lemon bush is doing more than can be expected. Don't think I have ever seen one with much fruit. Don't know what you're doing but the plant looks very happy to me!
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #4732966

jenhillphoto~
Would you share the recipe for your lemon curd?

jenhillphoto

jenhillphoto
Danbury, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2008
9:38 PM

Post #4752477

Okay Pinger. Here is the recipe. Note, this is not my recipe. It comes from Luscious Lemon Deserts by Lori Longbotham. For me, it tasted too eggy, not lemony enough. My opinion only. I'm still looking for a lemon curd recipe. This recipe uses only yolks, which is my guess as to why it tastes eggy, whereas other recipes use the whole egg. Now, it could be that I used my Meyer Lemons for this and they are not quite as tart as a regular lemon. So regular lemons might be the answer to this recipe. I will say this is an easy recipe to do. She mentions that using only egg yolks also means you don't have to use a double boiler, making it quicker.

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
Pinch of salt
6 large egg yolks

Melt butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat.

Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the sugar, lemon juice, zest, and salt. Whisk in the yolks until smooth.

Cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until it thickens and leaves a path on the back of a wooden spoon when a finger is drawn across it, do not allow mixture to boil.

Immediately pour the lemon curd through a strainer into a bowl. Let cool to room temperature, whisking occasionally. Refrigerate, covered until ready to serve. (It will keep for a month in the refrigerator and 3 months in the freezer.
momherb
Tucson, AZ

May 18, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #4970471

Wow! I was just browsing through the canning forum because it's too hot for me to be out in the garden right now and came across this interesting thread. I just planted an Improved Meyer Lemon in memory of my dad who passed away several years ago. He bought us a Ponderosa lemon tree for our old house and that tree produced so many lemons that I had to call the Food Bank to come and pick any I couldn't reach from the ground. We've now moved to another house and finally had the irrigation in place for a new lemon tree. We decided on a full-size tree, rather than a dwarf or semi-dwarf since we LOVE lemons. It's just a baby right now so it'll be a while until we have enough lemons for any of these recipes but I am SO impressed by the photo of that lovely, little lemon tree growing in the window on a snowy day. How wonderful it must be to have fresh lemons to make jelly with when the weather outside is "frightful"! I've copied the recipes into my collection so that when my tree produces enough lemons I can make some of these delicious-sounding jellies and jams. Thanks!
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #4983934

I wish we could grow lemons here. Or that we had more natural light in the house in the winter.

I've made a lot of curds. Usually when I make Meyer lemon curd I make a big batch (2 1/2 cups superfine sugar, 1/2 cup Meyer lemon zest, 4 large eggs, 7 yolks, 1 cup of Meyer lemon juice, 3/4 cup unsalted butter). It freezes beautifully and keeps at least 3 months, so it's nice to have a stash. A small jar makes a perfect gift with a batch of scones.

Carol

fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #4984971

Hi Carol, how long does the curd last if kept in the fridge?
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #4985160

At my house?
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #4985609

It depends on how many people have access to your fridge, LOL.

Seriously, a good three weeks if well-sealed.

Carol
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4985873

thanks. I am making a lemon cheesecake with lemon curd on top. Just was wondering if I could make it a few days ahead of time...
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2008
4:29 AM

Post #4986585

Easily. Also remember a baked cheesecake freezes well so you could make the curd ahead and the cheesecake ahead and only have the finish work to do.

Carol
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2008
11:29 AM

Post #4991768

While wintering in sunny Florida I acquire lots of Meyers lemons from my friends. I have saved all the seeds from my lemonade making and am willing to trade for other varieties or other fruits, also have some carambola seeds. dmail if interested.
Mittsy
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5005180

Here I am kicking myself... this spring I had a choice between a Meyer lemon and a Satsuma. Guess you know which one I opted for as it can go in ground and the lemon would need winter protection. I am lacking space.

But I love lemons... whine, whine, whine. Just stumbled across this lemon jelly recipe and I do have lemon verbena. Hope to give it a try.

Quoting: LEMON VERBENA JELLY

2 Cups torn Lemon Verbena Leaves
4 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 1/2 Cups boiling water
1 to 2 drops yellow Food Coloring (optional)
1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
1/2 Bottle (3 oz.) liquid Pectin

Put the torn lemon verbena leaves into a medium bowl. Add the boiling water, cover, and let stand for 15 minutes. Strain and measure out 2 cups of the infusion into a large, heavy saucepan.
Add vinegar and sugar and mix well. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add food coloring if desired. Stir in the pectin, bring to a full, rolling boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

Saving y'alls recipes just in case... lol
lovesdaylilies
Roopville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2008
5:17 AM

Post #5342087

wow i love this thread! have to bump it back up! look at that lemon tree!!!!! it is loaded with fruit! i know what i want for my birthday...have to tell hubby lol.

kelly

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America