New Home In Kentucky, this can't be Spring!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

New thread. Feel free to fill it up!
Link to last thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/811527/

Have a Great Day!
Bernie

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread, Bernie! The snow has almost melted away today under the blazing sun. Now it's just a muddy mess :(

Lana

Waddy, KY

Yep, to Bernie our little 8-10 inches was a drop in the bucket. To us, two days and the car never left the drive. Friday night I decided I wasn't going to Louisville to man the Daylily Society booth at the home and garden show. Just as well as there must have been lots of questionable drivers sliding off the road down there. As it was I was bottle feeding a sick calf and slopping through 8 inches of mud to check on a cow that just had to drop her calf in the middle of all the mess. At least the old girl was smart enough parade straight to the barn and stake out her territory early. We locked all the new calves in a strawed pen and the mommas were NOT happy.

40 degrees yesterday and probably going to get at least that today. Almost feels balmy out there.

Back to the mud pit....

Janet

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, I don't want to think about how muddy it's going to be here when the snow melts. That and doggy-doo....Ugh. :P They got 20+ inches in Columbus, just a half hour or so from us.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Janet, Isn't it lovely out? We are going to have flooding tomorrow in many parts of the state. Just can't win, but then this is Kentucky. I saw that they still had the home and garden show going, wondered how many ventured out for it. It was quite an expensive show to put on and then to have the numbers dwindle so bad, must have been rough.

Don't you know that all the babies come when it is the most inopportune time! Our sheep always lambed on the coldest night of the year. I bet you had a lot of blatting mommas!

Isn't farming fun?

Yes, we are changing our farm name from Misty Meadows to Muddy Meadows.

:) Kathy

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Snow's all gone here. It just about melted yesterday, but there were just a few patches lingering this morning. It's 55* and sunny right now, so that gets rid of snow in a hurry.

Waddy, KY

Second daughter had a hole in her coveralls this morning and dropped her cell phone in a mud puddle! I was sort of laughing because it seems like cell phones are the young folks unbilical cords... If I don't have one I've not lost a thing. If they don't they think life's ended. I must be the strange one...

We're feeding cows with the skid loader that has tracks on it like a bulldozer. It doesn't seem to mess up the pastures like the big tractor does. Sorta bumpy though to head to the field with a platform on the forks with a 3X3X8 bale, an Australian shepherd and 15 buckets of feed though.

Waiting for the mud to subside....

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Lisa, your hands are probably sore because you were gloveless!!

It does my heart good to know that this winter is so different for your family from last winter. You have a warm and cheerful home, and you can enjoy playing in the snow. Life is good and will get better!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Kyday - if she rinses it off and takes it apart to dry thoroughly before powering it back up, it may well be fine. Now, mine, dropped in the Gulf of Mexico when I visited Lisa, wasn't so fortunate! LOL It kinda went fsssszzzzt when I turned it on. Had I rinsed the saltwater out of it and done as I just advised, it probably would have been okay. A later phone went through the wash and I was able to salvage it. You live and learn when you're a klutz! LOL

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Glub glub....I found the battery from DH's watch in the washing machine the other day. Don't ask me how it got there...no idea.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

What a nice spring day today!
Welcome, welcome spring.

Not only was spring a welcome sight, but also the mailman. I was munching on my lunch a few minutes ago and I heard a horn blowing from my driveway..it was the mailman, he had a package for me! I wasn't expecting anything, so it came as a complete surprise.

And oh what a surprise. It was from Mom. Gosh, I miss her. Upon opening up her neatly wrapped box, I find some bunny corn candy for Sally, for me there are Kumquats..fresh Louisiana grown Kumquats from her tree. Oh what a joy! Sally then informed me that the package smelled "just like Maw-Maw's house." Tears came as I lifted the packing and pressed it to my nose..magically, as if by some strange way, I wished it could transport me into her house and hugging her. I've never been away from her for so long.

I sure hope to see her soon.

Momma's are a beautiful thing. So are Kumquats for this long way from home cajun girl.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Lisa, sounds like you need a trip home soon. I'm going home next week for 5 days.........but I can assure you there won't be the sweet smells of anything growing. I might be looking at lots of snow........in Massachusetts.

What will you do with the kumquats?

Just a cute note on the mailman honking....we dont' have our fainting goats anymore, we sold them last fall; but one time last year our maillady showed up with a package and she doesnt' get out of the car, she lays on her horn.........I mean really lays on the horn! She did this and all of our goats happened to be in the driveway. She scared everyone of them (about 10 of them) and they all fainted. She thought she'd killed them! with a heart attack.

But seriously, the way she lays on the horn she could kill us with a heart attack!!!!

Enjoy your smells from "home".

Yes, first day of spring....my baby's 27th birthday. And the sun is shining!!!!! How nice.

:)Kathy

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Ohhh, kumquats! I love them! Maybe you can bring back a tree next time you go down there, Lisa! (We had one for a while, wintered it over in the g-house, and it produced very well!)

What a nice surprise from your Mom. This says she is thinking of you, too, and most likely missing you as well. Can you send her a piece of Kentucky that smells like you're place?

Glad you got such a nice surprise!

Shoe (excited to hear it is Spring! Sure is sunny here, and windy! Reckon that is Spring enuff for me!)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Lisa
How lucky you are. Are they the sweet or sour variety? My FIL had one of each. He used to love to trick people and see them pucker up. LOL

My Mom has a few citrus trees. She was wanting a lemon tree and I couldn't find her one at the time, so I bought her a Limequat instead. It is a heavy producer and is very tart. My cousin was able to find her a lemon tree later and it has done well also. I sure could go for a mandarine from her tree. They are so sweet.

I miss my Mom too. Haven't seen her for nearly 2 years. Have to sell a few horses before we can leave. DD and DGS are hoping to spend the summer in La. He has a long list of things he wants to do while he is there. LOL I hope they do get to go. We will miss him but it will be nice for his GGPs to spend time with him and him with them while they still have fairly good health. It will also be good for him to be with his cousins while they are all still young.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Howie and I are giggling uncontrollably at the thought of all those little goats keeling over in a dead faint!! Oh, that is priceless!

We're heading out to Dea's in the morning. Yippee!

Enjoy your fruit surprise, Lisa. I've never tried one of those.

Oh! Lookie here:
http://gardenwife.com/2008/03/17/sarahs-in-the-mutt-madness/

We're so excited about this!

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Oh Kimberley, Give Dea and Michael a great big hug for us. Is Howie having a check up? Is everything okay? or are you just going to be able to visit for a while this time.

:) Safe travels, many blessings,
Kathy & Ralph

I voted for Sarah :)

That video would have been a good one for AFV. :)

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I just voted for Sarah, She is so cute! I hope she wins.
Have a great trip. I hope it is for pleasure and not for any new physical problems for Howie.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

No, no checkup --- just a visit for some downtime and R&R with great friends. :)

I might submit that video to AFV pets or whatever they call it. I'll think on that.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Good! Have an absolutely wonderful time. Let us know if you decide to submit the video.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

She got my vote.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Awww, what a nice care package Lisa got from her momma who apparently is missing her too.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Lisa
Haven't heard from you in a while. Are you busy with Spring stuff? Hope you are doing well and enjoying the nice weather.
Cajun

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I saw a bunch of pictures she posted about "Tater Day". Don't remember what thread though.
Bernie

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The Tater Day pics were on the Article thread.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/611/

Spring is here and the place is bursting with flowers and green. Been in the 70's the past few days. Lisa is enjoying herself in a grand way!

Waddy, KY

Yesterday was "tater day" for us. We planted somewhere between 125-150 lbs. of seed potatoes, 10 flats of broccoli and cabbage, and 1 row each of beets, sugar peas and regular peas. The rows were around 400 ft. long. I felt like I had lead arms this morning when I got out of bed and the backs of my legs are cryin' just a little. All in all though not too sore for an old fat lady that holds down a desk job! Good thing youngest daughter was on spring break though or I'd have been covering potatoes in the dark!

Janet

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Janet, so good that you are dry enough to plant all those things. We are still very muddy and run the risk of rotting plants and potatoes were we to plant right now. There is supposed to be more rain today! This is incredible.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It's raining here now Kathy, so it's headed your way. Everything is swampy, seedlings are getting big enough indoors, but it will be awhile before it's dry enough to set them out. Last frost in these parts is the 15th, but it's gonna have to be dry and sunny till then if I get anything out.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Yes, I hear you. Can't even get a plow into the fields, let alone walk in them. Seedlings are getting tall here, hope they won't get so big that we can't use the setter...been there, done that, not fun! On a good note, all of our raspberry and blackberry bushes have spread and we were able to take several of the shoots and plant them. We just planted last year so we might have a small crop of berries this year. We have red, golden raspberries as well as blackberries growing. We want to plant strawberries this year and the tri-stars will give us fruit this year. Rain, rain go away....come again in mid July!

We've had some wind and you'd think it would dry out the fields, but then more rain comes along. I think it is sabotage.....LOL

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The dog ran across my garden the other day and sunk in the mud! No way will I step out there.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

WE ain't do'in any better got the garden about 1/2 tilled before the rain started again almost 2 weeks ago. what your getting today we had yesterday and there is another ban coming in tonight that has 4 inch possibilities. although it looks to be south of us which means it headed right at you were 1 to 2 inch area

Waddy, KY

Still not raining here thank goodness. Maybe I can get some of my asparagus plants in the ground. I planted 40 plants each of the last two years and have 80 this year to plant so if I could get even half of them in the ground this afternoon it would be great. I have 18 blueberry bushes that came in the mail last week I think I'm just going to pot up and hold until I can get time to get them in the ground. Where I'm going with the 12 rhubarb plants that are also on the porch.....well, it always looks like I bite off more than a mouthful at a time anymore.... a week and a half without rain and then about a half an inch is the order I'm putting in with the manager upstairs!

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Janet, you are busy, busy, busy. It is pouring here and I'm afraid as I type you are probably getting it. Melody had it this morning. Isn't this way of sharing just wonderful? NOT.

Well, I believe we are going to have great fruit this year because of the rain....I'm an optimist! sometimes.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You may have great fruit, but you'll have to harvest it with a fish net!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have a 30 foot shrimp trawl I'll rent cheap. LOL

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm in anticipation that this rain will end..........eventually. In the meantime it is watering the fruit trees. Of course, Mel, we are thinking of building the ark and then we would be able to reach the fruit..... ;)
Cajun, might need that for rice. LOL

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

at least now I know that Kentucky does in fact have green grass! Last year we went from cold winter brown to spring/summer drought brown! Everything is getting green and lush.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Take pictures Lisa, take pictures!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

sure will :0)

Waddy, KY

Still no rain. Not complaining though. I got 50 of my 80 asparagus roots and 12 rhubarb in the ground last night before I called it quits and went home to bake a cake for a co-worker that had hurt feelings because we forgot her birthday. Supervising a group of people is in some ways like being a parent.

Anyway.... if I can get the rest of the asparagus in the ground I've decided to pot up the blueberry plants and let them grow in those for a while until I can get some other more pressing things done. I've got 3 bags of glads I need to get in the ground and a whole bunch of spraying to do. I also want to get some fabric mat down between some daylily blocks. We went to Liberty a couple weeks ago and got 15 rolls of the heavier mat. I'm hoping that it'll last at least 5 years and I won't have to mow grass between the blocks. As it is, I'm going to have to mow before I can put it down. One of my daughters swore she'd help me get it all down but somehow I think she has forgotten that vow she made last summer when she was hanging off the end of the pickup tailgate trying to die after mowing things out in the 95 degree weather.

Do any of you all have a rhubarb bed? I've been planting some the last three years and each time it's rotted on me. My parents had some when I was growing up but I'm not having much luck establishing it. I sure seem to be pouring money down a deep black hole....

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Janet,
We lost our asparagus bed in a tornado about 5 or 6 years ago.

You need to be doing a happy dance because we had torrential downpours yesterday afternoon! CAn't believe you didn't get any rain. The difference between night and day and we're only about 90 minutes apart.

I posted a story a few weeks ago about my daughter's birthday. Her co-workers forgot (or should I say had the wrong day). It started a chain of events for her whole day. I think I posted it in Parking Lot, but I will check and link here. I don't know if it was funny or sad....you be the judge.

My DH said you might be planting the rhubarb too deep. The tips of the crown should be sticking through the soil, otherwise they will rot. Rhubarb grows wild all over Massachusetts where I grew up.

Here's the link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/828720/

This message was edited Apr 10, 2008 8:48 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images