Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Peppers: Why are my seedlings stalled?

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 131, Views: 1,273
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #4642235

Bhut Jolokias. The one on the left emerged 10 days ago, the others 5 days ago. They're bottom watered and in Pro-Mix with full spectrum lights a few inches above the leaves. Soil temp is 78-82; air 68 or so. Hit the first one with 50% Miracle Grow 4 days ago to no apparent effect. Is this normal for the cultivar or is there something I should be doing?

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2008
10:48 AM

Post #4645263

david - i wouldn't get to nervous. here are two of my bhut jolokia's our of about 6 that i started n february 22nd. these two germinated on march 4th. still wiating on the others.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #4646347

They're in a fairly large pot, so I'm guessing they're putting a lot of energy and time into root growth. I can see "true leaves" starting to form on all, so I wouldn't worry. No need for any fertilizer, though -- they look green & healthy.

I haven't tried this particular peppers, but one of the reasons I like to start seeds in shallow seedlings trays and then up-pot is so there isn't so much extra space around the roots... I don't know if that makes top growth happen faster or not, but it does lessen the chance that I'll over-water (too much moisture in the mix, not enough roots to take it up, and you can end up with damping off and other fungal problems).
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2008
10:09 AM

Post #4649640

Herbie & Critter...thanks for the reassurance! Haven't started many peppers before. I'm used to tomatoes which can fill flats and get out of hand pretty quick.Considering how slow the Jolokias are, I'm thinking maybe I should start Nardello, Santaka, Fish and Gypsy this week (sounds like a Rock 'n Roll band, doesn't it?). Set out date here is mid to late May.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #4650499

I start my peppers about 10 weeks ahead, give or take a week... so go ahead and get them started, and you'll have sturdy seedlings to set out!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 12, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #4653994

Years ago I transplanted some Tom Thumb tomatoes into gallon milk jugs. You could see in the sides of course. The tops didn't start doing anything until the roots were all against the sides of the jug. Needless to say, they had a great root system.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #4654018

LOL I imagine you got a little impatient with them! I'll bet they really took off once they got started.
BronxBoy
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #4659364

Hi Everyone:

What's the average germination time for peppers? Mine seem to be moving along very slowly. Seems slower than last year.

BB
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #4659709

My are not germinating at all this season either...SO SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW...

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #4665418

Some of mine have taken over 20 days. Bull Nose Large bell and Carmen are 2 of those. I also had some sprout at about 14 days, but they died cause I forgot to water them. Numex Big Jim was one of those. Starting over with them. I am having the same problem with tomatos. Some haven't sprouted in 14 days. Usually all my tomatos sprout in 10 or less. Must be global warming!!!
mraider3
Helena, MT

March 22, 2008
11:39 AM

Post #4694272

FYI...I too have struggled with starting hot peppers from seed. Last year was so bad I had to resort to purchased peppers from a local green house. Unfortunately hot peppers are not a hot item in my neck of the woods. This year I gathered as much information from DGers on starting hot pepper seeds and decided on sort of a hybrid germination method from all the advice given. Results so far has been good.

Since my house thermostat is set on 58 degrees F a heat pad is a must. I selected three six foot long heat pads (w/o thermostat) from Gardeners Supply. I use standard seed trays with the removable inserts and clear plastic domes to start the seeds. However, this year I used 4-inch peat pots instead planting directly to the flats. I place as many as 30 seeds of one variety to a peat pot and place 16 peat pots into a single planting tray (around 10 seeds works best). Seed germination varied from six days to two weeks. It was easy to remove the peat pots which had germinated seed and move them to another seed tray with an insert and a taller (7-inch) clear dome. And so far everything is working to my satisfaction.

The only problem is the seedling stems were still in codoledon stage and about 2 to 3 inches tall because of placement of the overhead 4-bulb florscent fixture. So instead of waiting for a set of true leaves to fully form I potting up the seedlings to individual 4-inch peat pots. But no harm done...they are doing well and I have moved the potted up seedlings to the top shelf with heat pad and sunlight from a large bay window to the south. I now have six high domed flats of hot pepper seeds (108 hot pepper plants).

Tomatoes seeds next and the same procedure!

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #4694828

Dovid - do you have an update for us?

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #4694882

I am still waiting for my peppers, too. But, then, seems like I Always wait for peppers. Tomatoes seem to be about three times faster than peppers. They grow much slower, too. I think a heat mat is a great aide in germinating them. Mine is in the basement. This year I have them in expandable peat pots in one of those plastic trays with a lid. I made a list of what is in each row. Then, each day I peek to see what has germinated. If something has come up in the hot pepper row, I remove it and take it to the greenhouse where a small pot with label awaits it. I add more soil around the sides and then hope for the best. Where I live peppers need lots of pampering, especially outside in the summer. I usually don't put them out until about July. By then they could be in gallon cans. Just depends on the summer.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 22, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #4694996

I get a kick out of zones. You are in zone 9 & can't grow peppers decent. I am in zone 4. I plant out in the garden about June 1, & they grow like crazy! I should start a business of selling the hot peppers to people in the higher zones. Like a flat rate box full. You would have enough for the whole season.LOL!

I think we are doing about 20 different ones this year. We have a couple new ones that are supposed to curl your toe nails!

To early to start seeds here yet, usually about April 15.

Bernie

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #4695067

Yeah--I agree, The zones are weird. Here we are quite mild all year. But, we do not have hot summers. And, peppers love heat. June can be Very cool with ocean breezes to add more chill. So, the greenhouse helps a ton. I just open both doors because the wind blows from the opposite direction and let the sun shine in on them. They are warm and happy.
mraider3
Helena, MT

March 23, 2008
12:15 PM

Post #4698144

Bernie...two quick questions:

(1) You don't start planting pepper seeds intill April 1st???

(2) Do you use any type of cover over the plants once moved to the garden?

morgan

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 23, 2008
12:50 PM

Post #4698201

If we start them any earlier, they get to big by the time we set them out June 1.
No cover, but they are planted on green plastic mulch. The hot peppers are usually ready by late July, bells in mid August.
We will plant near 1000 plants in the garden.
mraider3
Helena, MT

March 23, 2008
1:37 PM

Post #4698306

Agressive Bernie...I'm only doing about a hundred plants. If I recall correctly you market yours. What is your definition of "too big"? And green plastice mulch...why green? m
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4705518

Sequee...I do have an update. Here are the Bhut Jolokia two weeks after the photo at the top of this thread. 3 of 5 seeds germinated. Giving them a shot of half strenght Miracle-Grow probably wasn't a good idea. It will be almost two months before I can plant them out. Have to put them in individual pots in the next day or so too.

Thumbnail by David_Paul

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #4706077

WOW! They are lookin' good! Nice to see they are taking off. Mine STILL haven't even germinated! (I may have to swipe one of Herbie's! He dropped them off to me this morning so I can "babysit" them while he's in Philly. Think he'll notice if one is missing when I return them???)
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #4706136

Sequee...are peppers as easy to take cuttings from as tomatoes?

BronxBoy
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2008
9:53 AM

Post #4706628

Sequee:

Pepper-napping is a federal offense. And trust me; Herbie will notice. LOL

Mine are taking FOREVER to germinate. Seems like much longer than last year and I'm doing the exact same things. Eggplant popped up without a problem.

BB
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2008
11:17 AM

Post #4706707

Eggplant's usually the worst for me, but this year even they beat te peppers. Of the 52 seeds I put out, I've got 2 babies so far - and they are not even big enough to pot-up! Herbie's look great. I will try to remember to take a few pix when I get home from work today.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2008
11:37 AM

Post #4706741

sequee - i will be watching you like a hawk even from far away.

here are pictures of my big bomb cherry peppers on the left and the sole surving bhut's on the right after i transplanted them into 4 inch pots

Thumbnail by HERBIE43

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2008
11:40 AM

Post #4706746

i will save sequee the time and post this picture of my eggplants. one ones on the left on dancers and hansel is on the right

Thumbnail by HERBIE43

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2008
11:43 AM

Post #4706748

sorry - hansels are on the left and dance on the right.

janice - i know you will take care of my little buddies for me. hope you are enjoying the little present. thanks again for your help. wshen i get back i am sure we can come to an agreement on some plants i have to spare.

BronxBoy
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2008
3:31 PM

Post #4707632

I was starting to think my seed was bad but some of it was new. I have no idea why they are taking so long.

Herbie:

No Rosa Bianca this year?

BB
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #4707648

I'm working on my ransom demands as we "speak"!

Dang - I really screwed up! I showed you where I live!!!

PS - I cannot believe how impressive his plants are - each one is healthier than the one before. My eggplants NEVER look that good.
BronxBoy
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #4707679

I've got 7 flats of eggplant: Dusky, Rosa Bianca, Listada de Gandia and Round Mauve.

Now I gotta find somewhere to fit them in.

How do you guys space them?

BB
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #4707744

I sowed seeds for: Apple Green (6, all up), Asian Bride (7, none up), Farmer's Long (2, none up), Brazilian Orange (6, none up), Charming (2, none up), Fairy Tale (8, 4 up), Cloud Nine (2, both up), Green Pea (2, both up), and 1 each (none up) - Black Beauty, Italian White, Casper and 1 each (up) - Calliope and Turkish Orange.

Frank and I do ours in containers, so spacing is not an issue. I either do one per pot, or 2 in one end of an eb, with an Ind Tomato on the other end.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 25, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #4708126

I am sitting here watching the MN Twins & having lunch.
Asked my son, "Do you have trouble with hot peppers germinating ?" He answers "No".
I say "People on here sure have problems." He answers, "They probably bury them."

Another thing is to cover with plastic wrap to keep from drying out

Have a Great Day!
Bernie.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #4708442

The only ones I'm having trouble with (again!) are Sequee's sweet cherry peppers and a Japanese hot pepper. She has sent me fresh seed a couple of times now, and they always germinate for her just fine. And my other pepper seeds germinate for me... but not those sweet cherry peppers! They just hate me. LOL! It was a running joke with us for a couple of years, as she couldn't get my 'Sweet Pickle' seeds to germinate, either. We may have to swap seedlings one of these years...

I sowed some more pepper seeds last night and got my tomato seeds done also. :-)
BronxBoy
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2008
7:04 PM

Post #4708458

Hi Bernie:

I sowed mine in those little clear clamshell takeout containers and just slightly mixed them into the soil. Last year I had no problem. Maybe I'm impatient :-) But it has bee a couple of weeks.

BB
mikekilhoffer
Chatham, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2008
7:36 AM

Post #4710722

I planted 4 flats of peppers, Cayenne, Red Savina, Dorset Naga, "tiny thai ornamental" Hungarian Wax, Kung Pao, and Jalapeņo among the mix... about a month ago. Everything looks great except for the Red Savina and the Dorset Naga... the two latter have just come up, even having a heat mat and ample light and water. It seems the hotter the variety, the more stubborn the germination. Also, the Naga and Savina came up as very, very small plants, even smaller than the "tiny thai ornamental" as I have taken to calling them. I have moved the early germinators to the sun room, but I am keeping the last two HOT varieties under lights and on the heat mat. The naga seeds cost me 15$ for 5 seeds, so they are my babies. They are all being hand agitated to promote vigor and are getting rootblast as soon as they get their third set of leaves.. then I am moving them to larger pots and babying them until it is ok to set them outside. If the plants in the sunroom fail I could care less, but I will be the best of caretakers when it comes to the Dorset Nagas, as I paid a lot to purchase the hope of a sturdy plant. I just had an ant crawl across my screen here in the basement, so planting time here in central Illinois cannot be far off. I have so many seeds and so few places to plant them.

Much luck on your hot pepper endeavors!
Mike
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2008
11:12 AM

Post #4710873

So many varieties - so little space... I think that's the theme for so many of us. I can still (vaguely) remember when a few peppers, a few tomatoes, a couple of eggplants, some basil and parsley were plety. What the h*** happened here? I'm still only one person!!! Now I feel "cheated" if I can't find room for 50 tomatoes and a dozen each hot peppers, bells, and eggplant. And we won't even discuss the onions, shallots, beans, peas, okra, cukes, squash, potatoes, carrots, and several hundred radishes. And I don't know why I cannot grow melons or cole crops, though the good Lord knows I try them each and every year!
mraider3
Helena, MT

March 26, 2008
11:42 AM

Post #4710923

Bernie...how old is your son? Give him a big ataboy! It took me quite a while to figure that one out. Seems like everything I tried the last several years failed. Considered a variety of methods and finially decided on planting a group of seeds in 3-inch square peat pots. I took all my old seed and some saved from nursery plants I purchase last year and planted up a flat of eighteen varieties of hot peppers. As mentioned above the Habs were the last to sprout. I didn't wait for true leaves to form before individually transferring them to separate peat pots (18/tray). I now have seven trays of individual plants and they are doing well. I am using two heat mats purchased from Grower's Supply w/o thermostat. Six flats can fit on a single heat mat. I also purchased the 7-inch tall plastic covers for the flats with two vents in the top. At night my house temperature is set at 58 degrees F, so I keep the flats covered. In the day time I uncover the flats and set them on a stand near a south window. I continue to use the heat pad during the day as well as a small fan. So far results good.
And yes, I planted the seeds shallow...just enough germination mix to cover.
Thank You DGers!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2008
1:01 PM

Post #4711109

He will be 34 in June.
He's been the head grower here since he was about 15.
He watches lots of TV & reads a lot. Self taught on everything, including the cabinet making. Learned all that from watching Norm on this old house.
He planted about 600 hot peppers last night. We want them for the garden about June 1.

Have a great day!
Bernie
BronxBoy
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #4711179

I think that may have been my problem to. Although I planted shallow, I think when I watered, it carried them to the bottom.

Thanks

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #4711796

I think I'll start some more and just cover with vermiculite and see if that works. My Bull Nose finally did germinate (a couple anyway) after 21 days.
BronxBoy
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #4712104

Hi Beclu!!!!

I'll have tons of tomatoes at the RU. Peppers are slow to get on board. LOL.

BB
mraider3
Helena, MT

March 28, 2008
6:19 AM

Post #4720305

Bernie, good to know on the June 1 date. I've been trying to calculate when the best time would be to plant the hundred or so seedlings I just started. I'm guessing you don't cover or cage your peppers...correct? Although a zone 4 here it, does not really heat up until mid-June, and I thought I might have to place the peppers in a new raised bed, sort of hot house style for a couple of weeks before planting directly to the garden. My methods of starting hot pepper seeds and getting them to the garden have been somewhat disasterous in the past. So far things are going well with the seedlings. I don't want to mess up by trying to move the plants outside too soon.
Anyone with suggestions there would be greatly appreciated.

morgan
craigboe
Romeoville, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #4722745

I started 5 Naga Jolokia on 03/20 and four of the five are up already. I did notice they slow down for a while at first then seem to take off all of a sudden. The habaneros seem to be the same way.

Thumbnail by craigboe

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #4735402

How long should one wait before they just give up and toss them? Is 15 days too long? Need to get going on a new batch of peppers and eggplants before too long. Darn! I have never had this much trouble in the past. New pepper seed, 1 year old eggplant that has had good care. However, different seed starting mix.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #4735850

I wouldn't give up yet, especially if you're not using bottom heat. You can always start germinating some additional seeds as back ups via the paper towel method (which doesn't take up shelf space). Moisten a piece of paper towel or a paper coffee filter (wring it out -- you want it damp, not dripping wet). Space out your seeds on part of it, and fold it over so the seeds are between layers of damp paper. Slide it into a plastic baggie -- I like to use a zip-top one, and I like to put a little puff of air in the bag, although I don't know how much difference that makes. When you can see little "tails" (roots) starting to emerge (hold the baggie up to the light and you can see without opening it up), pot up the sprouted seeds.

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #4738023

I had some peppers that didn't sprout until day 21, and I was using bottom heat. This seems to be a bad year for peppers. All are late no matter what you do to try to encourage them.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2008
6:29 PM

Post #4761930

Ditto the slowness on pepper seeds this year - some of mine took 30 days - others are still not up, but based on the tardiness of their neighbors, I'm not giving up. (Besides - I ALWAYS plant waaaaay too many seeds!)

Here's hoping we all have an excessive!
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2008
8:28 AM

Post #4816021

i have already posted these on the ultra hot peppers but here aethe peppers that sequee is talking about.
the 3 in the back are my big bomb cherry peppers and the front two are my bhut jolokia's. i started seven of these ultra hot peppers buts thats all that germinated unless sequee stole some without me knowing when she took care of them for me a few weeks ago.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43

BronxBoy
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2008
10:49 AM

Post #4816139

A lot of mine took forever to germinate. A couple of varieties didn't germinate at all so I'm trying Critters paper towel method to get them to sprout.

But at least I have 3-4 flats now.

It's weird how a lot of people are experiencing problems no matter where they are.

BB
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #4816875

My biggest problem this year has been that dang mouse! I finally resorted to a glue trap -- nothing. Baited the glue trap -- and it disappeared! We searched. And searched. But no more stolen bait or missing traps last night, so one way or the other hopefully it's safe to put my newly transplanted pepper seedlings back on the light shelves. The seedlings spent too long in the seed starting trays (where they were protected from nibbling), so they look a little sad... hoping I have some peppers to plant out this year! Sheesh.

And my attempt to start lots of extra Gypsy peppers to share around was just doomed... I've got barely a dozen seedlings. What the mouse didn't munch dried up because they were on the end of the seed tray that didn't quite get enough water one time... I started seeds 3 times! Ah well, next year... :-)
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2008
10:37 AM

Post #4839918

Oh no critter! You are the pepper guru around here. You have to get plants someplace!

Update on the three bhut jolokias which started this thread. All doing fine in their own pots now. After I transplanted, the other two seeds germinated! Don't know how that happened. I would think they would have been buried as I just piled potting mix in the new containers. But you can see one of the new peppers in this pic:

Thumbnail by David_Paul

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
10:44 AM

Post #4839927

here my three bigbomb cherrry peppers in the rear and the bhu"s in front. notice the flower on the plant on the right in back

Thumbnail by HERBIE43

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
10:46 AM

Post #4839930

once again i posted the wrong pictures. lets try gain

Thumbnail by HERBIE43

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
10:48 AM

Post #4839932

heres a closeup of the bhut jolokia. don't look at the label on the container. its something i am doing for someone on the prayer forum. the plant is really starting to grow now. i am keeping it in the heated part of the ouse and will do so until its time to harden them off but i definetely won't put them in my 5 gal containers until june 1st.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2008
12:06 PM

Post #4840072

They are looking so nice and big. Mine are looking about like David's new one!!! EP's are doing better, and the tomatoes are taking off! Beans, carrots, and peas are happily emerging from the soil outside. Won't be long now!

Thumbnail by Sequee

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #4840492

I guess I've been fortunate this season as my peppers sprouted in the normal 10-15 days on a heating pad under lights. I plant one seed per cell of 72 cell pods and all but seven have not germinated to date. My seed and all my pepper, eggplant and tomato seeds are purchased from Tomato Growers Supply and I have always have had excellent results with the exception of the Black Cherry seeds which I had a big germination problem at one time. Hoping this to be a very good season!!

Thumbnail by Tplant

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #4842795

Lovely seedlings, everybody!

I'm visiting my folks for a few days, but DH reported this morning that the mouse has been dispatched. *victory dance* He set a few more traps, just in case, but it should be safe to put the pepper seedlings back in the basement, on the heat mats. I won't have as many plants as I wanted, and I won't have the extras I'd hoped to be able to share around, but at least I'm hoping to have a few survivors to plant out! I was too discouraged to start more seeds the last couple of weeks when I kept losing seedlings, and now I think it's probably too late... I may change my mind when I'm back at the end of the week. 'Gypsy' starts producing fairly early, so even starting a few weeks later than I'd like, I'd probably get a number of peppers from each plant before frost. I know I want to start some more basil when I get back... :-)
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2008
11:19 PM

Post #4843015

Herbie- I know you posted the wrong pics, but your eggplants look great. ;) What kind do you grow?
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #4843026

This year he's doing Hansel and Dancer. I know this because I babysat for him and he let me keep one of each. They are MONSTERS!!! I've planted out seedlings smaller than this in the past. I mean, they are MONGO! Mine are doing ok, but campared to his... ~:-(
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #4843067

OK Sequee- Thanks for the info. But what's his secret?? Those are HUGE eggplants. I can never get mine that big before I set them out. So spill... what do you know??? LOL
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #4843116

If I only knew... I swear, I've never seen anything like it. And the photos don't do them justice, I'm talking thick and lush abd tall. My guys are going to need therapy before we're through here...
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #4843140

Okay, I can see that we are going to have to have Herbie give a tutorial. I have seen his other plants and they ALL look good... So give it up Herbie. Tell us what you do from start to finish on... Peppers, Eggplants, etc. I have seen people ask questions, so I know I am not the only one.
Apologies to David, I know I am hijacking your thread. Sooo Herbie, Please, start a new thread on what you do. Thank you, and my plants thank you.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2008
8:33 AM

Post #4851031

i have to go to work now but i promise to tell you what i do and beleive me it is nothing different that what everyone else does.

i will also include some of the latest pictures of the plants.

Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2008
2:00 PM

Post #4851755

I had no trouble at all starting sweet peppers this year. I planted the seeds in egg cartons, 4 seeds to a cell, in Miracle Gro seed-starting mix. Then I transplanted them into 3" cells in Miracle Gro "Organic Choice" mix.

I planted my pepper seeds on the same day as my tomato seeds, and the peppers took about a week longer to come up than the tomatoes. I didn't use any bottom heat, they were in my shop under lights at about 60 degrees. I've had the seedlings outside to toughen up for several days now, and they got rained on last night.

These are Gypsy, Bounty, and Carmen peppers from seeds critterologist sent me. Thanks again for that, critter.

Thumbnail by Ozark

Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2008
4:26 PM

Post #4852426

Looking good Ozark.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #4853058

Oz, those look great! I'm glad those seeds did so well for everybody... I hope they live up to the good report I gave them in your garden this year! :-)
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2008
7:27 AM

Post #4855898

looking very good.

cyndiehook - since you asked how i started my hot peppers this is all that i have done

this first picture is wshat i started my single seed in. it is 2 inches deep but i only filled it up with MG seeding starting mix halfway up. after the seed germinated and it started to grow i kept adding more soil until it was filled completely.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2008
7:34 AM

Post #4855902

i didn't have a heat mat so i just placed them on a big warm blanket and then pulled the blanket over the tray which i first covered with plastic wrap. once the seeds germinated i placed them under lights for 16 hours a day. when they got their second set of leves or sometimes third set i repotted them into 4 inch containers using MG potting soil for containers. this is the latest pictures of my hot peppers and the eggplantts. i know this isthe pepper forum but i through in the eggplant pictures cause you were interested in them.

the first one should be the hot peppers with the bhut jolokias in the front and the big bomb in the back

Thumbnail by HERBIE43

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2008
7:38 AM

Post #4855905

and here are the eggplants. the hansel is on the left and the rest are the dancers

like i said, i did not do anything different then most people who start seeds. maybe its because i started them in last feb that they are so big. i made two changes from what i have done in the past.

1. i used MG seed starting formula. to be honest, in the past i had better germination numbes using the cheapest seed starting forumla i could find and

2. when i transplanted all my palnts i used MG potting mix for containers.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43

cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2008
10:46 PM

Post #4859371

Thanks for the tutorial, Herbie. I appreciate you going through it again. :)
You may be right that the Feb start has a lot to do with it, but I am going to see.
I just happened to have bought the same MG as you for my plants. They had both MG seed starting and soil at the Farmers Union.
I just have one more question. Do you leave those blooms on the plant or do you remove them prior to planting?
Thanks again, Cyndie
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2008
8:35 AM

Post #4861229

i leave them on.

deerhorn
Seward, AK

April 28, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #4877518

I love to sit here and look at all of your pictures of healthy, short, filled out pepper plants.
After reading and re-reading your posts, I think that I have a few problems with the way that my plants are growing,first spring here is only a date not to be belived.
First I will show you outside around the house and then a few pictures of my pepper plants, you will notice they may be tall but not very many leaves, and the size of the containers they are in, can anyone tell me why my plants might look like this?
I am using two spot grow lights and a portable electric heater that keeps the area in the low 70's at night and the mid to high 80's durning the day. I bought top soil mixed it with potting soil, put the soil mixture into cake pans into the oven at about 190 F. for about an hour mixed in sand for drainage and moved the plants into this mixture once the first true leaves had shown.
Can anyone help me understand why my plants might be to tall and skinny?
I live in Seward Alaska zone 3.
Don't mind the dates shown on the pictures, I don't know how to chang the date on them and I guess I am to old to waste the time to learn how to change it, won't do it anyway.
first pictures around here then the plants. #1 the corner snow bank at the drive way, don't worry about the good looking guy it's just ME.

Thumbnail by deerhorn

deerhorn
Seward, AK

April 28, 2008
6:14 PM

Post #4877540

#2 The drive way

Thumbnail by deerhorn

deerhorn
Seward, AK

April 28, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #4877549

#3. The snow depth in inches.

Thumbnail by deerhorn

deerhorn
Seward, AK

April 28, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #4877569

#4 The pepper plants different type both hot and mild.

Thumbnail by deerhorn

deerhorn
Seward, AK

April 28, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #4877577

#5 The leaves are not too big but the stems are really long.

Thumbnail by deerhorn

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2008
6:26 PM

Post #4877584

You're right -- there is a good looking guy under that big parka! :-)

Looks to me like your pepper plants aren't getting quite enough light, and that's why they're a little leggy. I use regular fluorescent lights, not special grow lights, and I put the tubes just an inch or so from the seedlings. I also don't know about your soil mix... I use a soil-less mix (Pro Mix), lightened with a little extra perlite, and I add some polymer crystals to keep the moisture levels more even. Check out my "Seed Starting 101" articles for a whole bunch of information on how I start seedlings. The list of all my DG articles is here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/by.php?user=critterologist
deerhorn
Seward, AK

April 28, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #4877590

#6. Seems that there is no difference between the plants.

Thumbnail by deerhorn

deerhorn
Seward, AK

April 28, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #4877615

Thank you and I will look.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #4877641

I'm thinking your soil mix might be holding too much water... not suggesting you repot everybody at this point, but you might hold back a little and let the soil dry out. That pale color can be too little light, but too much water can also make seedlings go sorta yellowish.

Good luck!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #4877646

Oh, and I don't want you to read those articles and get the idea you did everything wrong... there are as many ways to start seeds as there are gardeners! But by reading what works for me, you might be able to get an idea of what isn't working so well for you. :-)
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2008
8:17 PM

Post #4878125

I agree with Jill that you have a lighting issue. The little ones look like they are stretching up to get better light. I try to keep my lights just an inch or 2 above the plants, adjusting constantly to accommodate the growth. If one or two start getting larger than the rest, I find a way to raise the shorter ones so everyone has the same distance to the bulbs. Be sure that none of them actually touch the bulbs, though. I've fried a few in my time!

I also agree that your soil might be a bit heavy and retaining water. (And, yes, I know...that sounds like a personal problem!) I'm not sure I wouldn't repot some of the stragglier ones, before they topple over...and pray for the REAL Spring!!!

PS - I see you've been around for a few months, but since I haven't "met" you before, WELCOME TO DG!!! And best of luck with your babies!
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2008
11:52 PM

Post #4879138

Deerhorn, I use the regular, cheap 4-foot shop lights with fluorescent tubes they sell at the home and hardware centers and they do great. Much cheaper than looking for smaller plant lights that can cost 2-3 times what a shop light costs.
That would be the first place I would start to improve your plant growth. Especially if you don't have access to regular potting soil for the pots, or the budget this year. The potting soil makes it easier for the plant to start root growth in the artificial environment and as I just potted up a bunch of tomatoes, I know it can take a lot.

I can sympathize with your snow. Places here in Maine still have 2 feet on the ground. Luckily, mine is mostly gone and I am ready to garden.
Cyndie
deerhorn
Seward, AK

April 29, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #4879448

I have read all of your replies and don't think I will ever take anything personal from any of you I am just tickled to death that I got so many answers I am retired but not retirement age yet, I can no longer drive and the wife and everyone else works all day pretty much leaving me here by my self, and I do get along with myself pretty well, most of the time I can't think of anybody else I would rather talk to but at times my own answers do get a little strange.
I am going to grow peppers here in the house! peroid! but sense I really have no past experences to draw upon, I have to get my imformation some where and I think that this site is the best I have seen yet, your answers are clear and professional sofor a chalange teach ME.
You know I just might change my name to the good looking Guy, ah not.

Thumbnail by deerhorn

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #4880043

Might I suggest AKHotPepper? or AKHottie??? LOL!

You will do fine! I have to tell you, a few years ago I got a very rocky start on my peppers, and when they finally took off, it was already October! So, when the weather turned, and the first frosts were expected, I sprayed the plants really well and dragged a few of them inside. Much to my surprise, they kept me in peppers until well after Thanksgiving. I finally tossed their sorry butts outside in early November, and ate the last of their bounty with NY's Eve Dinner.

I do believe you can do the same, hot stuff!
deerhorn
Seward, AK

April 29, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #4883208

I am sorry I forgot to say HI to all of you and thanks for the welcome.
I answer to most anything but if you like you can just call me Don.
OK for today I bought Organic Potting mix-3 bags and one bag of Perlite,I installed a hanging shop light 48 inch with 2 lights 40 watt each I am thinking of mixing at 25%perlite and ofcourse 75% potting mix- no top soil and no sand.
Once I get the potting soil strelized I plan on moving all of the plants into smaller containers, 4 inches high and a comerical soda bottles 1 liter size, I figure why not recycle.
Wish me luck. Don.

Thumbnail by deerhorn

cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2008
8:56 PM

Post #4883304

Good luck, Don! Show us some pics later of how it worked out.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #4883741

Sounds good! 1 plant per pot generally works better with seedlings, I think... otherwise, you've got all that extra potting mix around the roots, holding more moisture than the roots can take up in a reasonable amount of time... and that leads to Trouble. :-) I germinate my pepper seeds in shallow trays of potting mix, then pot up into 2 inch pots. That keeps them happy for 8 to 12 weeks, until it's time to plant them out.
deerhorn
Seward, AK

April 30, 2008
5:59 AM

Post #4885611

Again I thank you,I will add some pictures in a couple of weeks to let you know what is happening, sooner if it starts to look real bad. thank you for your support Don.

Thumbnail by deerhorn

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2008
7:18 AM

Post #4885674

deerhorn - i got to this late by i agree with all the above. i also use 4 ft lights but i use grow lights instead of regular ones and i keep them about an inch above the plants. here is a picture of my pepper plants shown under the lights in my living room. the picture is not the best in the word but its the best i could do.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2008
7:19 AM

Post #4885675

sorry - the peppers are on the right side. the left are my eggplants

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2008
12:39 PM

Post #4886155

Frank, you pot up from your seed starting arrangement into 4 inch pots like Don was planning to do, right?
deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 1, 2008
5:47 PM

Post #4892386

The change over is complete, all plants in it's own container and today will be the first full day under the lights.
With the work that I have put into them I now know why everyone calls the plants their babys, and just like the little kids they just don't seem to pay attention to anyone no matter what.
Due to the lights the pictures are a little hard to see but I hope you can get the general idea. Don

This message was edited May 1, 2008 6:35 PM

This message was edited May 1, 2008 6:37 PM

This message was edited May 1, 2008 6:40 PM

Thumbnail by deerhorn

deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 1, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #4892392

Picture # 2

Thumbnail by deerhorn

deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 1, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #4892400

Picture #3 Temp. at 80 and holding heater not shown.

Thumbnail by deerhorn

deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 1, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #4892409

Picture # 4-Thanks to everyone for your help. Don

Thumbnail by deerhorn

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #4892933

Yippee -- frolicking peppers!

FYI, it doesn't seem to hurt leggy peppers to get planted out or transplanted deeper than they were growing... when they are small, they may even grow some more roots from the buried part of the stem. They don't seem to do this when they're bigger (unlike tomatoes), but you can still do it to get them a little more stable in the ground.
deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 1, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #4892956

I was hopeing to hear that, I dropped them down as far as I dared with out hitting bottom so now it's just wait I guess.Don
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #4893289

LOL... I've been known to coil roots and stems around pretty well in the pot when I'm transplanting... just have to be careful not to snap those tender stems!
deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 2, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #4894612

I understand coil but how do you do it to roots and stems?
Could this also apply to cucumber plants when they are first starting to grow?
Now you have my head just a buzzing. Don.
Thought I would just share an old picture with you its 37 years old.

Thumbnail by deerhorn

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #4894860

LOL, I just sort of gently "stuff" everything down into the pot. It's best not to do this with a freshly watered seedling -- the stem will be too crisp and will snap easily! Just putting them as deeply as they'll readily go is good, too. :-)

Great photo... Happy Anniversary! (We're at 10 and counting, here... it's grand!)
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2008
8:45 AM

Post #4895280

don great pictures and happy anniversary. plants looking good.

critter - yes, i have them in 4 inch pots bot i think i am gonna have to put them in a bigger container in a day or two causethey are getting to big for the 4 incher and i still have a ways to go before i put them outside.

deb and i are at 40 and counting.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2008
12:07 PM

Post #4895620

I've had peppers that were a good 8 inches tall, maybe more -- in 2 inch pots! -- and they did fine once planted out. As long as yours aren't looking stressed, I wouldn't pot them up bigger than a 4 inch pot... that way, they don't have to keep readjusting to different containers. I think they'll be fine.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2008
4:15 PM

Post #4896672

"I've had peppers that were a good 8 inches tall, maybe more -- in 2 inch pots!"
-------------------------

critter - Here are my sweet pepper seedlings from the seeds you sent me. Our weather has been so unsettled I've been afraid to plant them in the garden, and last night I brought them in to the kitchen counter because of hailstorms.

But the storm front has passed, and now they're going in the ground!

These are over a foot tall in 3" pots and they're in great shape. As you say, there's no problem with raising big pepper seedlings in small pots..

Thumbnail by Ozark

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #4896711

They look great!

Being a little rootbound doesn't seem to hurt most seedlings. Just "tickle" the roots a little to loosen them when you put them in the ground. For anybody who's hesitant about poking at the roots, there are some step by step photos in my Seed Starting 101: Planting Out article from a couple weeks back.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2008
7:15 AM

Post #4899968

critter - o.k. i will keep them where they are. i will not be planting them out until june 1st. you still think i can leave them where they are??
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2008
11:43 AM

Post #4900214

I do think so... remind me when you started them? I've done as much as a 12 week head start, and remember I only put them in 2 inch pots.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 3, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #4900907

Herb -- If you can't get them out any sooner than 5/1 I'd transplant them into 5" containers ASAP.
"
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #4901213

I'm with Jill on this one. The less transplant shock you give them, the better. If you've already potted them up once, they got the "shove" they needed to spark them off, so I'd not bother them again until plant-out. You could try just lifting one gently out of the pot and check on the roots. If they are teribly root-bound, there might be some consideration, but I think you will find that they are happy as can be - nicely rooted, but not packed in.

Just my opinion, and Lord knows, I am far from being the pepper queen! Mine are dragging their little butts way behind my tomatoes - again. Even my ep's are moving along better that the peppers. And the ^$*&*$ basement aphids, courtesy of the brugs, have not helped the situation. Fortunately they don't care for the peppers, but they are VERY fond of eggplants and tomatoes!
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2008
5:21 PM

Post #4901307

On the other hand, I just remembered that you are growing in containers. I'm thinking you could probably pot them right into you pot-out containers if you are able to rig up a light for them. I dis that with your eggplant monsters and they are VERY happy with the set-up!

Thumbnail by Sequee

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4902693

Yes, if you want to pot up into the containers you're planning to put them out in, that's a different thing... but I wouldn't keep subjecting them to intermediate up-pottings.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #4902775

One thing I'm learning this year is that peppers show stress easily by wilting and turning leaves upside-down. My pepper seedlings have done that several times already, and it doesn't take much to cause it.

If they get a little dry or it's windy, that's what they've done. They've wilted after both transplantings, too. When the situation is corrected and they're OK again, then they straighten up.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2008
10:35 AM

Post #4908242

thats a good idea about putting them into the 5 gal containers that will eventually go outside. i have a way of keeping them under lights. my big bomb cherry peppes have peppers growing on them now.

critter - i started them feb 22nd

t-plant - thanks foryour advice. i think i will go with the 5 gal container once and for all.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2008
12:27 PM

Post #4908590

I think they should be fine in 4 inch pots with that start date... As I said, I've started as much as 12 weeks ahead, and only used 2 inch pots. :-)
deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 5, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #4911402

OK yesterday was Sunday and I did not go anywhere or do anything so now I must confess::::::I have sinned::::::::I purschased a work room light fixture and installed it,I re-potted all my skinny seedlings and have unmercifily placed them under these lights, I have also not watered them for about three days,BUT I have tried to watch them closely and I have talked to them and played music-soft old cowboy songs. Marty Robbins ect.
And I have been cursed with new branches growing out of the skinny stems or I should I say trunks...
In short the pepper plants are starting to look like plants and I feel good thank you.
Oh by the way how come I talk to you every night before going to sleep and you can't even send an answer by e-mail.
Just another lost soul Don.

Thumbnail by deerhorn

deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 5, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #4911424

Second picture, the leaves are darker than they appear in the pictures also this one is sitting on top of my travel coffee cup. Don

Thumbnail by deerhorn

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #4912138

Wow, what a turn around!

Cool coffee cup. :-)
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2008
8:24 AM

Post #4913145

very nice. imagine how much they would grow if you played rock n roll to them. LOL

David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #4927283

The three stalled seedlings which started this thread two months ago. Buds are appearing:

Thumbnail by David_Paul

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2008
11:05 AM

Post #4927701

Those are gorgeous! What size pots are they in? Mine didn't germinate, so I'm really looking forward to those taste-test reports!
Peckhaus
Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2008
12:23 PM

Post #4927898

Wow - those plants look great! Mine are only half that size. Did better last season, but I'm hoping they'll catch up in the garden.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #4934410

Sequee...those are 7" self-watering pots. Germinated them in one pot then moved them to three. Do you know why yours did not germinate? Mine popped up in 9 days at 83 to 86 degrees. Second batch I couldn't get as warm and they took over two weeks at 75 to 78 degrees (don't have a heating mat, I put the pots on top of a bank of lights...second batch I used a 12" self-watering container and there was too much potting mix in there to warm up to the proper temp).

Been saying no tasting one of these for me but I suppose I'll have to try.

Peckhaus...bet they do catch up. I did start those on Feb 22. Been in the pot so long buds are appearing and I might even have peppers before setting them out. This fall I'm going to over winter one inside in a larger self-watering container. The do not seem to picky about light. I don't have these under artifical light all that much. I move them around from window to window mostly.
deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 11, 2008
1:50 AM

Post #4934665

Pinching pepper plants.
Plant #1. is 5 1/2 inches tall.

Thumbnail by deerhorn

deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 11, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #4934676

Picture #2. plant is 3 1/2 inches tall.

Thumbnail by deerhorn

deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 12, 2008
3:30 AM

Post #4939188

On the two plants above I was trying to show the difference in the growth brtween some of the plants I am trying to grow and I was trying to get a more uniform growth pattern going.
The plants I decide to keep I expect to grow in containers in the house and I did not want to have a five foot tall plant in a container.
What I have done is to take the real tall plants and repot then into the same containers and have as carefully as possible curled the stem around in the pot and have ended up with the plants in the soil up to their leaves.
I have three plants that I did not do this to because they have blossoms appearing on the plants and the plants are only about three and one half inches tall.
Anyone have any comments or ideas to help? Thank You Don.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #4941343

I'm not sure how possible it is to predict or affect the mature growth pattern at this stage... but then I've never tried much pinching on my pepper plants, just generally let them do their own thing. Yours are all looking pretty good, it seems to me! :-)
deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 12, 2008
7:03 PM

Post #4941517

I believe that the reason that I rember pinching the top of the plants was I have found and copied an article on making pepper bonsais.
I found this item at "http://www.fatalii.net/".
Always trying new things or looking for new things I found this tree item, so here I am just trying to grow peppers for the first time and it looks like I have to wait until the plant is two years old.
If the website works for you, you might just look at this article, I found the pictures stunning and the thought of having one of my own creations like this would really make this a houst plant for display.
I hav'nt said this much in a long time, what do you think of a bonsai pepper tree? Don
I was going to show a picture but its not mine and probbly copyrited (copy-write-ed).
I hate it when it shows that I couldn't win a spelling bee.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #4942101

Very creative!

I think think should link to the bonsai growing demo page: http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=105

That looks like something that might be fun to try at the end of the season... I always hate leaving those big plants out for the frost to kill! (I should've found this last year... I had some habs that were over 6 feet tall and definitely had "trunks" rather than mere stems.)

deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 13, 2008
8:30 AM

Post #4944169

I havepinched 3 Gypsy, 2 pretty pickle, two fooled you, a corno de toro and a paprika supreme, senorita, an antohi romanian, and a delicias peppers.
I figure that toping the pepper plant will push the growth in to the trunk and cause more branching, I had three gypsy's that I just removed the blossom buds from the plants are only about 3 to4 inches tall.
I will wait a while and see what happens and let you know. Don
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #4944867

Thanks for keeping us posted, Don!
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #4945002

Don...thanks for the heads up on pepper bonsai. Wonderful website and I will definately be doing that this fall. Think I'll put Alma Paparika, Santaka and Bhut Jolokia in Bonsai pots. Time even to start some peppers that I wanted to but didn't get a chance to start this year. Its an excuse to keep growlights in the living room all year long too...heh...heh...

Thumbnail by David_Paul

deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 14, 2008
4:28 AM

Post #4948628

I can just hear it now (softly spoken almost out of ear shot) crazy, rest home, or even mental facilty, how did we lose control, is it possible to get it back, look they are even starting to sweat.
Where did we go wrong?
They said just a couple of plants.
They don't need any more tools laying around.
They are with and talk to their plants more than to us.
Oh where Oh where???????...
Don

This message was edited May 14, 2008 8:43 AM
deerhorn
Seward, AK

May 17, 2008
6:31 PM

Post #4965010

I went to the local hardware store and bought a moisture meter for 7 bucks, every whereI keep seeing do not over water time and time again.
Befor watering my plants I checked the moisture content of the containers using the new moisture meter I was really surprized about 80% of the plants down about the root zone showed that they were already wet #4 highest reading, I think I should have had one of these a long time ago the plants would have been growing alot better for a lot longer.
Good idea or not? Don

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America