Photo by Melody

Article: A Tale of Some Travelling Seeds: UK Newbie-want to join a UK/USA seed swop?

Communities > Forums > Article: A Tale of Some Travelling Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Tale of Some Travelling SeedsReplies: 6, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Seedolic
Plymouth
United Kingdom

March 9, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #4642582

I have just read your travelling seed tale - sounds like Christmas came a few times last year! What a great idea. I would really love to join you (if I am allowed). I am not familiar how things work yet with Dave's site or with importing /exporting seeds from USA/UK so will read up on the areas you mention. I am a big seedolic. I love germinating new varieties and the process of collecting and storing for reuse. Are there any UK seed addicts out there? If so, I will offer to be the UK organiser - what have I let myself in for! Maybe we could do the same in the UK, i.e. I centrally collect in the UK from other UK Dave's gardeners and we do a big swop with your US group? If anyone is interested please let me know through this forum.
Kathy
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2008
7:59 PM

Post #4642937

Hi, Kathy. I'm glad you liked our story. I can tell by your screen name that you would fit right in LOL. I'm not sure of the rules on importing seeds into the US, but I think there are limits (it may be 15 packets) for personal use or some such. So you may be better off just participating as an individual. But we would certainly be glad to have you. There are always swaps going on here at Dave's, but not always big ones like the ones I described. And there would be nothing stopping you from getting together some folks inside the UK for a swap. I'm sure there are some that would be interested.

I don't think you will get much response on this forum, as it's only for responses to the article. You can post in the Seed Trading forum. But first, let me see if I can find out some specifics for you.

~ jan
Seedolic
Plymouth
United Kingdom

March 9, 2008
9:16 PM

Post #4643202

Hi Jan

Many thanks for your quick response. When I replied today I was not a member so couldnt see some areas of the site- since I have become a full member - a very easy quick process - and have spent a few hours on this site trying to familiarise myself. I understand what you mean about no responses on this forum - I couldnt find the thread for a while but thankfully remembered your name so got back in again. If 15 pkts is the max then I could probably manage trading on my own as you can imagine I already have far more seeds than I will personally use as you only need a small amount of seed each year. I have bought hundreds of packets of seeds on Ebay but have never sold any seeds, only given away to friends. Hopefully I will be able to join in your group. Bye for now Kathy
Seedolic
Plymouth
United Kingdom

March 10, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #4643823

Hi Jan Having read various forums it is evident that there are strict regulations that I need to comply with to swop seeds with gardeners on Dave's website. I will have to do some more research to check what is involved and what the costs will be. May just have to trade with Dave's UK'ers. Anyway, I havent given up yet so so will keep researching. Kathyx
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #4644069

Hi Kathy,

I'm Suzy who ran the Nov. swap and also the February one. Jan asked me to drop in and tell you how it goes...at this moment in time, anyway. :))

The US seed Import rules are annoying at the moment, but basically we can import, with proper paperwork in one envelope: 50 different packs of seeds, and only 50 seeds per pack. This lets out things like poppies, well, it doesn't exclude them, but 50 poppy seeds is just a drop in the bucket for what you usually get in a pack. It also answers the question on getting a group together to send seeds: You really can't (and stay legal). It is much better to just send your own and get back your own, although I would always look it up on the usps.gov site to search the UK for "disallowed items" before sending to you. 50 packs of no more than 50 seeds eachis NOT VERY MANY, and you'd probably like to do a double envie (2 envies) if you joined a swap.

If you want to join in the swap, just let us know in November when we have the signups, we'd love to have you and I'll walk you through the paperwork.

In November: The seeds need to have a Latin name, height and color, but can be purchased or collected, but they need to be FRESH seeds.

In January/Feb: Anything goes. Seeds you bought and didn't use, things that are sort of old, things that you think are yucky from the Nov swap, whatever you got. I have a list of very common things that you can only send 5 packs in.

There are three traders in the UK I know about: LaurieWilson, Mr. Crocosmia and >>>>>>>>>>> another person I can't think of. :)) You should be able to search,though. Mark and laurie have all seeds known to man, and you can tellhim I said that :)), so you should easily be able to get somehting cooking with them. :))

I hope this sheds some light on the subject, but keep in mind, things change and we are voting on a new President who takes office Jan 2009.

Suzy

Seedolic
Plymouth
United Kingdom

March 17, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #4675627

Hi Susy
Many thanks for taking the time to explain whats what. I had a look at the gov site and the 50 pkts/50 seeds is how I need to go to comply. Think it will probably need to be 2/3 pkts per swop to make my swop worthwhile for other other members. Hopefully I may have something a little different to make up.
Nov seems ages away - so I may have a dabble in the meantime until then. Would love to join you and willl start sowing and planning for Nov.
bye for now Kathy

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #4677277

Okay, we will all look forward to the UK addition!!

Suzy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Tale of Some Travelling Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what a nice article Dutchlady1 15 Mar 1, 2008 12:58 AM
I was there and I lived it!! soulgardenlove 3 Mar 1, 2008 12:17 PM
I was one of the dizzy lurkers!! Cordeledawg 2 Feb 29, 2008 6:01 PM
oinK oinK oinK wrightie 12 Mar 19, 2008 2:11 AM
Dabble Gardner??!! drumlin 2 Mar 3, 2008 10:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America