Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poppies: Flemish Antique colours

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 2, Views: 125
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cowgirl2
Calgary
Canada

March 9, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #4643310

Papaver somniferum Flemish Antique has colour variations as can be seen in this photo. The darker, richer colour is the colour usually selected for the commercial seed packet photo.

Flower colour is always more intense when the weather is cooler. There was a period of unusually warm weather and that may account for the lighter colours.

Thumbnail by cowgirl2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #4643614

Thanks for the lovely picture, cowgirl! I have this one germinating like crazy in a wintersown container and cannot wait to see it bloom. I have a feeling it'll be a favorite.
Bev
Peckhaus
Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #4658817

Wow! Beautiful photo! I also tried wintersowing them this year for the first time. Might begin a few indoors, too, to see what happens. Thanks for the preview of what might come.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America