Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lady4950
Parrottsville, TN

March 10, 2008
1:03 PM

Post #4645488

Hello! I was very interested in your article about "Thinking ahead 101: Following the Sun
About 3 years ago I planted periwinkle because I thought it would be good for a sunny area. I guess I was wrong because I don't get very many flowers and the color of the leaves are somewhat yellow. I would like to change my ground cover and was wondering if you have any suggestions that would love the sun all the time? I live in zone 6 and don't have any shade.
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #4645812

Good morning!
Periwinkle will struggle along in sun, but never flower.
I suggest something like Creeping Jenny also known as Moneywort. It's prolific, loves the sun and comes in several vibrant shades of green; some varieties also bloom. I'm also in Zone 6, and I use the "pearl' variety on a sun-baked western slope. In fall it turns bronze, and doesn't really go dormant until a hard freeze. Here's the Plant File for this specimen. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/155201/

Another good sun-loving ground cover is Cranesbill or Wild Geranium. This one spreads quickly, almost too quickly, unless you have a large area to cover. Not a good candidate anywhere near your formal flower beds, but a great filler plant. Very pretty with dark green lacy leaves and bright pink or dark pink flowers. Blooms through until first hard frost. More info: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2784/

Good luck!
Toni

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Thinking Ahead 101: Following the Sun Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good advice bigcityal 3 Mar 8, 2008 11:35 PM
Great timing! darius 0 Mar 8, 2008 10:24 PM
Shady place Teddytoo 1 Apr 1, 2008 11:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America