Tomatoes and eggshells?

Hyde Park, MA

I recall reading somewhere on this site, months ago, that tomato plants love egg shells. OK, I've been saving my eggshells ever since, and now that I have a massive bag of them in the freezer, and planting season is approaching, I need details. My questions are:
1) I didn't dream that bit about the eggshells, did I?
2) If not, then how much do I put in with each tomato plant?
3) If I have extras, should I mix them in with the soil in other parts of the bed? Or do some plants really NOT like egg? Or save them and give the tomatoes a boost later in the season?

Thanks!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Eggshell serve the same purpose as lime, both being primarily Calcium carbonate. Essentially they will raise the pH of an acid soil. There are folks who believe that the additional calcium will help prevent blossom end rot. There is no scientific evidence to support this however. Most eastern soils are naturally acid, so they can be spred over your planting area in lieu of ground limestone.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on DG that crushed eggshells put around the base of tomato plants will help prevent the dreaded cutworm from being able to get next to the tomato stalk.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I save my eggshells all year long also. I don't think you have to keep them i the freezer. I just store them outdoors. I mix the crushed shells in the hole along with compost when I plant my tomatoes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.