Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Quest for the Ultimate Ground Cover: Don't give up on mulch just yet...

Communities > Forums > Article: Quest for the Ultimate Ground Cover
bookmark
Forum: Article: Quest for the Ultimate Ground CoverReplies: 3, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #4652176

As a landscaper and maintenance gardener, I spend a ton of time resolving issues caused by poorly planted and deficient ground covers. I have several clients that wish they had just paid for the mulch and skipped the vinca and creeping jenny. Especially after it escapes into their lawns. All these plants have their place, but properly applied mulch is the best solution in the long run.

Juanita
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

February 27, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8395084

AND mulch replenishes the soil, adding nutrients as it decomposes. Worth the expense to improve every soil with added organic matter.
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

March 2, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8403069

Well, it depends on what you use as mulch. I like to use compost mixed with shredded leaves. It decomposes better and has more nutrients than cedar mulch.
Much as I love the smell of cedar mulch!
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

March 2, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8403159

Good point. I favor shredded hardwood bark mulch, which is plentiful and cheap in this area... a by-product of the local lumber industry. I do love cedar mulch, but here it's much more expensive. Some favor it because of its insect-repellent properties.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Quest for the Ultimate Ground Cover Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful "tapestry" you're "weaving"! rcn48 20 Mar 12, 2008 2:12 PM
wonderful article tcs1366 5 Mar 2, 2011 4:07 PM
Mulch, turf and ground covers Noturf 1 Mar 12, 2008 12:17 PM
more ground covers wildharvest 0 Mar 19, 2008 4:20 PM
Groundcovers. MaypopLaurel 1 Mar 21, 2008 5:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America