Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: dragonfly

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 11, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardener5
Cherokee, NC

March 12, 2008
10:31 AM

Post #4653731

I would love to have dragonflies in my yard. I am in zone 7. Please tell me how to attract them to my yard. I wonder if they are in this area. I have a small fish pond in the back yard. I thought they liked things like that. I would appreciate all info.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #4654126

Here's an article you might find helpful http://sagebug.com/howto/dragonflies.html They do like ponds, but it sounds like they're a bit picky about which ponds they like.
gardener5
Cherokee, NC

March 12, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #4655364

Thank You ecrane3, this is some good info. It looks like I won't have many dragonflys. Like you said "they are picky", and I am not willing to change my pond that much.Ponds are alot of hard work. My friend made it for me and if I ask him to change it he would tell me I was crazy.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #4656942

You may get lucky though--at my old house all I had was a birdbath, not even a real pond, and I regularly had them (or maybe they were something else, but they looked like dragonflies...I'm definitely not an insect expert!)
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2008
5:48 AM

Post #4657510

There is a pond on the property next door. Because of the drought and the owner shooting out the bottom, it is draining badly. It became a green, murky mess. Apparently dragonflies love it, because we had tons of them around all the time last summer. Maybe AL dragonflies just have bad taste in ponds.

Karen

Thumbnail by glendalekid
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardener5
Cherokee, NC

March 13, 2008
7:10 AM

Post #4657612

glendalkid, That's a nice picture. Dragonflies amaze me.I'm a nature lover. It would be fine with me if I could turn my yard into a place for wildlife. The pond you speak of seems like it's a more natural habitat for them to reproduce. I do have a little stream or branch they call it here in Carolina that runs down between my back lawn and the woods. It may be to clean for them. Maybe I will get lucky and get a few.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #4658776

We have lots of birds, butterflies, dragonflies, lizards and such here. I love to watch them. There was a swarming of dragonflies at the end of the summer. There were about a hundred of them flying around in circles over the end of my yard. Wished I could have gotten a good picture, but they were just high enough that I only came up with black spots on my photo. But I saw them doing it on several afternoons.

We also had an unbelievable swarming of lady bugs a few weeks after that. I am talking about thousands and thousands of them everywhere. I counted a couple hundred just on my front deck alone. Have you seen this happen? This went on for about a week.

Except for fire ant stuff, I don't use any chemicals or bug sprays in the yard. We found that there is a garlic spray that works great for mosquitoes. I saw several non-chemical ideas for fire ants and tried them. Didn't work. So back to the stuff in the bag from HD.

Karen

doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2008
4:30 PM

Post #4658795

Is the area around your pond "boggy" enough to where you could start a "rain garden" to help attract them? While they don't seem to prefer specific plants I noticed they seem to be very "picky" about the cleanliness of the water area. A rain garden is geared just for that purpose, plus you're using native plants to help purify the aquifer. Check the articles under my nick, I've done one on rain gardens and I included several excellent sites with more information. :)
gardener5
Cherokee, NC

March 14, 2008
9:48 AM

Post #4662018

glendalekid, I have seen the lady bugs swarm. They had an entire side of a building covered. Looked like millions of them. WE have lots. I don't like them in the house. I have that problem. Also into watching birds. I have bird feeders close by two windows so I can watch them as I'm doing oter things. Thanks
gardener5
Cherokee, NC

March 14, 2008
10:04 AM

Post #4662026

doccat5, I like your rain garden idea. I may try making one when I read more about them. I have to get my friend interested first. I have a badly ruptured disk in my back which my Doc and I are trying to find a solution for.I read your article. My pond is not a boggy area .There is a boggy area in the yard. Thanks
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #4662222

Understand that one, gardener. I've got a bad back myself so I can relate. Very interesting and innovative concept though. Lots of interest here in VA since it's a very effective way to help protect the watershed and the Bay.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #4662834

gardener5,

The lady bugs literally covered every surface on my front deck and on my daughter's front deck. We'd not seen this before. Fascinating. When I found them in the house, I just carried them back outside.

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America