Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Seed Starting 101: Sowing & Transplanting Tips for Strong Seedlings: Thanks!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Starting 101: Sowing & Transplanting Tips for Strong Seedlings
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Starting 101: Sowing & Transplanting Tips for Strong SeedlingsReplies: 8, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #4659400

Jill as always you are coming to my rescue at just the right time. Have a bunch of nicotiana and portulaca that I was trying to figure out how to transplant. The clump idea is going to be terrific! So far so good!!

Thanks again,
Juanita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2008
10:30 PM

Post #4659971

I'm glad I could help!

Happy transplanting! Your garden is going to smell wonderful if you've got "a bunch" of nicotiana started... mmmm...
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

March 13, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #4660163

Just in time here, too, Jill! The pictures help a lot, too.

One question: at what point can the little guys be put out in a greenhouse? Ours gets pretty warm, but I open it all up early in the a.m. and we get lots of breezes through there.

Thanks,
Kathleen
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #4660180

A lot of the stuff I grow can't take a frost and will pout if night temps are much below 45 or 50 degrees... so I set things out accordingly. I don't have a greenhouse, though, and you're in such a different zone that I hesitate to even try to advise you on timing! You might ask over in the greenhouse forum or in your regional forum. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'd rather not give you bad advice by guessing.

:-)
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

March 13, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #4660235

Thanks, Jill. There is a DGer close by who does a lot of propagating - I will check with her.
goofybulb
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2008
5:41 AM

Post #4661797

Great article, as always, Critter!
Pics are really good, suggestive and helpful. Perfectly timed after the friendship basil offer, so we can practice further. You are very clever, the homework that leads to homework, but always exciting and pleasant!!!
I will definitely try your method. Being afraid of clumping, I kept sowing in very small cups, with a few seeds per "cell". It worked for me so far, since I was only trying to get ONE lavender (my nemesis), ONE Stephanotis floribunda, ONE...
but now I have many seeds from somebody very nice and generous (!) and I think I need to expand! I really need a garden though...
I'm looking forward to my "Critter's Pretty Purple Lemon Gemper", I'll send you pics!

Hugs,
Alexandra

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2008
6:22 AM

Post #4661930

I'm looking forward to the photos! Happy Sowing!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2008
10:23 PM

Post #4664540

Really nice article Jill, the transplanting of seedlings is such a great feeling !!

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2008
11:13 PM

Post #4664706

Yes, indeed! It's very satisfying to slide a flat of happy little transplants under the lights... a few days to recover and grow some more roots, and then they take off! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Starting 101: Sowing & Transplanting Tips for Strong Seedlings Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice Article MistyPetals 25 Apr 20, 2010 4:57 PM
Excellent Article very useful info. Baxter_Md 3 Apr 15, 2008 3:55 PM
Foxglove seedlings ivesco 2 Mar 23, 2008 9:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America