Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Common Outdoor Spiders: Know Them, Love Them: Jumping spiders

Communities > Forums > Article: Common Outdoor Spiders: Know Them, Love Them
bookmark
Forum: Article: Common Outdoor Spiders: Know Them, Love ThemReplies: 5, Views: 129
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Machikoneko

Machikoneko
Hometown, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #4668229

These guys are the coolest spiders around! They have eight eyes, with three separate functions.

The large "headlight" eyes act as telescopic lenses- that's why you can actually make eye contact with them. They see very well with this set.

The eyes right next to the large ones act as rangefinders to gauge distance to prey.

And the last four on the back of their "head" are used bascially to keep an eye on everything else, so nothing can sneak up on them. (I'm sure you've seen them constantly turning to face you when they see you.)

I'm always helping the littler guys up out of the sink, because they seem to have a hard time climbing out. The hard part is getting them on my hand without hurting them. (Then, I promptly deposit them amongst my nearest plants.)

Spiders...creepy, fascinating, and most of all, our allies in the fight against the insect hordes!

PS, Here's a picture of my favorite jumper- Phidippus audax. Their English name is "Audacious jumping spider."

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #4670780

What a great picture! I do love these little guys - I even talk to the ones that perch on my patio chairs - they always turn to face me and seem to be listening...teehee!
sherrymarie
Weatherford, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #8034631

I moved to Texas from Canada where we have very few bugs of any sort. One of these jumping spiders was in our bathroom. I asked my husband to 'get' it for me, and it jumped left, right and all around. He almost screamed like a girl. "Spiders are NOT supposed to jump!" Now we know, and are prepared for them.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #8049440

Lol Sherry! They are quick little things, for sure. Borderline friendly, too.
flowerette
Alvin, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8376774

We also have a black jumping spider here along the coast. And, you are saying they do not bite? Great. I will protect them now. Interesting.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8406808

All spiders will bite if provoked - some are just more passive than others. It will surprise many to read tarantulas are one of the mellowest of the spider types - those kept as pets apparently seem to enjoy being petted! Jumping spiders by nature are more curious than aggressive.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Common Outdoor Spiders: Know Them, Love Them Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice article kniphofia 7 Aug 2, 2010 5:42 PM
I know where Derek is coming from. LHicks 1 Mar 15, 2008 6:44 PM
Spiders are AWESOME cluelessnTN 5 Aug 2, 2010 7:02 AM
Re: My spider with the happy face Britta1000 3 Oct 15, 2009 9:09 PM
Lovely spiders MelbaJ 0 Aug 2, 2010 4:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America