Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peppers: Transplant peppers to garden

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 7, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #4671346

Should peppers ( bells ) be planted their same dept of deeper like tomatoes ?

Dwight Love Compost Tea
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #4672189

I plant them at about the depth they were growing, maybe a little deeper if they're leggy or I think they need stabilizing -- but I don't bury the stems deliberately as I do with tomatoes. If you're growing in peat pots, however, be sure to bury the rims of the pots (or tear them off), so they don't wick moisture away from the roots.

Unless you've got a hoop house, it might be a little early to be setting them out... I put out peppers a couple of weeks after tomatoes, when the soil has warmed up and night time temps are close to 50 degrees (here, that's usually around Memorial Day). Even if they don't actually freeze, peppers will just sulk in cool soil.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #4672638

Pepper seedlings can be planted deep when doing the first transplant. I diod that this year with good results. I'd agree with Critter on planting in the garden though. The pepper stems have started getting woody and might not sprout secondary roots as easily as when the stems are still tender. I might try on one or two this year, just to see what happens.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #4672905

I working on a hoop house for 3 4' x 8' raise beds I built and will post pic maybe tomorrow.
Yes I may be getting ahead of myself with 60 11" tomatoes plants in the GH check my other post:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/815089/

Also shows my failed hoop house
mraider3
Helena, MT

March 19, 2008
11:08 AM

Post #4681558

Dwight, I'm considering the same thing with two 4ft x 16ft raised beds. I was researching a covering called Tufbil and came across an article where a young lady was using rebar to anchor PVC piping over her raised beds. Looked like a covered wagon type hoop house! Seemed like a great idea to me. It's way too cold here for planting hot peppers in the garden without some type of covering, or just taking them outdoors when it warms and leaving them in their 2.5 gallon plastic pots.

morgan
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #4681770

Hi Morgan, my hoop houses are covered with Tuflex, probably the same you speak of, got them at Lowes.
It rained her all day yesterday, last night and this AM, when I looked this AM the wind had blowned the Tuflex panels off but nothing damaged.
I did not have them anchored in any way ( another To - Do on my long list )
I will try and get some tomatoes in them next week.
I having trouble with all my peppers, very few are coming up. I have no heat pads ?

Love Compost Tea , Dwight
mraider3
Helena, MT

March 20, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #4686328

Dwight...the Tufbell (correct spelling) is a high dollar, semi-permeable, floating row cover sold by Peacefull Valley. One of the DG recommendations for fastening this material to the PVC frame, or any other row type covering, is to make clips of one size larger PVC piping. Cut the larger PVC piping in about 2-inch sections, then cut them again mid-way and lengthwise to make the clips. Haven't tried it yet, but sounds reasonalble to me.

As for sprouting hot pepper seeds I have stuggled with that for several years. I selected the simplest of three suggested methods and It's working so far. Heat pad is a must! I have several that I purchased from Grower's Supply that are six feet long and about 22-inches wide, which is the lenght of the seed trays I use. Instead of planting directly in the seed trays, I use the perforated inserts to hold 18, 4-inch square peat pots to plant the seeds in initially. My best results is with less than a dozen seeds per peat pot. Some were planted with thirty or more seeds. I'm now starting to transplant the seedlings individually in the same size peat pots.

The reason I chose this method is to conserve space, and pepper seeds sprout at different times. Habs are the only seeds that have not sprouted since planting the seeds on the 10th of this month. I purchased 7-inch tall clear domes for the seed trays to replace the shorter domes once the seeds have sprouted. I will contiue using these domes until the individual planted pepper plants reach the top of the larger dome. And yes, the heat pad remains on constantly. I have a wide 4, 48-inch florscent light fixture directly above four tall dome covers, and it remains on 17 hours per day using a timer to turn the lights off and on.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #4686532

Thanks Morgan got Tufbell Row cover on my buy list will be easier to work with.
Must get some heat pads, working on an idea to make one that will not get wet.

Dwight

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America