Photo by Melody

Article: Seed Starting 101: Sowing & Transplanting Tips for Strong Seedlings: Excellent Article very useful info.

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Starting 101: Sowing & Transplanting Tips for Strong Seedlings
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Starting 101: Sowing & Transplanting Tips for Strong SeedlingsReplies: 3, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Baxter_Md
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2008
3:39 AM

Post #4677153

I have started seeds under lights for the first time. I seem to be having excellent success (took advice from my in-laws and set up the lights close to the hot water tank and furnace for warmth). This leads to my question. I am using a tray with 24 two inch cells and a clear plastic cover. It has only been a little over a week, but many of the seedlings have grown to a size that they are hitting the top of the plastic cover. After germination, is it s good idea to leave the top off?

Thanks.
Baxter
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #4677188

Many people do removed the cover at the first sign of germination. Too much humidity can promote damping-off. I keep my humidity dome on a little longer, but I've got a few little holes poked in it for ventilation.

If your seedlings are leggy (tall without having many leaves yet), you might want to move them closer to the lights. Having the top leaves within an inch or two of the bulb will make for nice, sturdy seedlings. Check my other articles on setting up light shelves and preventing damping-off for more details.

Sounds like you got great germination with your setup. Good growing! :-)
s_edwards
Fort Worth, TX

April 15, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #4812487

I followed your instructions for setting up a set of lighted shelves. My shelves are composed of wire, so I tied the flourescent fixture to the bottom of one shelf to illuminate the shelf beneath it. I used a chain and "S" hooks to lower or raise the light from the plants. I kept the shelf set in front of a window and used ordinary flourescent fixtures (not full spectrum bulbs). I have successfully grown tomatoes, canterberry bells, wave petunias, impatiens, and datura.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #4812558

Congratulations! It sounds like you're off to a great start for spring planting. I predict that next year, you'll add another light or two... :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Starting 101: Sowing & Transplanting Tips for Strong Seedlings Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice Article MistyPetals 25 Apr 20, 2010 4:57 PM
Thanks!! rvnsbrk 8 Mar 14, 2008 11:13 PM
Foxglove seedlings ivesco 2 Mar 23, 2008 9:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America