Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food?: Bright pink custard! :)

Communities > Forums > Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food?
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food?Replies: 14, Views: 140
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #4677197

Oh yes the Mulberry ...my grandmother (mother of 12) used to make a white custard then stir in the mulberry juice from the stewed ones she was preparing for mulberry pie.This white custard would turn the most amazing hot pink colour.Later it was Mulberry Pie for desert covered with bright pink custard (no fridges in those days so ice cream was out) ...well we thought she was the most clever nanna anyone could ever have had.It was all the more special because we scooted up the big old mulberry tree (there were seven of us kids) and picked them ...well we did pinch one or two ...if we got the juice on our clothes mum would scold us and then rub the stain with green squished mulberry to get the stain out out. Large families and mulberries go together ...these days I only grow the green shatoot mulberry so I don't have purple stains everywhere ...they are about 5" long and turn a sort of green honey colour when ripe, these are just yummy and can be dried like raisins.Still I can still taste those wonderful berries from nanna's garden though ...thanks for the memories!
chrissy
angele

March 18, 2008
6:06 AM

Post #4677434

I enjoyed reading your Mulberry Tree article so much. Lovely writing style!
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #4678297

When I was a kid my sister and aunt who was a year older then I decided we were going to make wine out of Mulberry all in one day. Gosh we never even tasted wine , but we were going to make wine just the same. We ended up with purple cover hands, clothes and lips. We didn't get a buzz from our day old Mulberry wine but we sure had fun making it : ).

I have a few wild growing Mulberry trees along the edge of the woods.
But the one I like most is close to the garden but far enough away to not cause problems. I have a sitting place under it, well untill the berries are are all gone that is :/ I call it "Tea Under The Mulberry Tree"

Great artical, i'm saving it in my journal in my tree catagories , thanks
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #4678318

Our mulberry tree was one of my favorite trees to climb when I was young. We rarely had fruit, but i sure remember the one year we did. The birds would sit on the gutters of the house and "drop" purple stains all down the white paint. I thought it was funny until I had to help paint the house that fall.
frankford
East Lansing, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #4678729

I have fond memories of picking various mulberries as a small child in South Bend, Indiana. We had both white and purple types volunteer in yards and open fields. The white ones seem to have the sweetest taste.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #4679129

My memories are of a pre-pubescent time, climbing a medium sized mulberry tree on a Tidal Sound in NE North Carolina on the way home from school. 50+ years later I still remember the taste!

Thanks for the article!
Aunt_A

March 19, 2008
5:29 AM

Post #4681332

chrissy100: Wow...I love it. I'm going to have to try making some custard or pudding bright pink. That would be just lovely on the top of a Mulberry Pie. Or maybe I'll take the new fashioned way and buy some Frozen Whipped Topping and stir in the Mulberries. Fun! Thanks for the wonderful story and the idea. I've never heard of rubbing "the stain with green squished mulberry". Very interesting! I think I'd like to try growing that green shatoot mulberry. Thanks.

angele: Thanks for the sweet words; very kind. Glad you enjoyed it.

Lindawalkabout: LOL !!!!! Guess you couldn't hide your Mulberry Wine Adventure.
:-) "Tea Under the Mulberry Tree": Now that sounds like a title for a book or a poem. Are you an author? Thanks for the sweet words; glad you liked the article.

cathy4: Guess you really got to experience a truly natural experience with Natural Food Coloring...with such a powerful berry you'd think the food industry would have tried to replace that Artificial Red Food Coloring with some Mulberry.

frankford: Yes, they are almost like 2 totally different berries that happen to have the same shape.

darius: So welcome; I'm glad to give so many memories to people all over the world. You've just gotta love Dave'sGarden !

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #4683579

No author here Aunt_A, lol , just a gardener that likes to take a break once in awhile under that Mulberry tree by the garden. Only thing I have to watch out when the berries are on and the birds are eating. I don't want the wrong kind of lumps in my tea if you know what I mean : (.

I am so glad you did this artical, I didn't know about the white Mulberries and that green ones take the stain out. And all the other things that members shared. Thanks again

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 20, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #4684225

Just popped in to say (in case I was not clear on it) the green mulberries were the unripe fruit on the same tree not another variety.
Also wanted to say that the green shatoot can be grown in warmer conditions and the fruit was dried like dates for food in the Arabian countries. The juice used for colouring is from poached mulberries the more you reduce the syrup the deeper the colour ...yummy!
Happy gardening
chrissy
girlgroupgirl

March 20, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #4684322

I love mulberries, but down here in Georgia, the best mulberry tree is someone elses, lol. They can really re-seed themselves if left in a garden situation.
My friend has a neighbor with a huge tree that grows over her property. Every year when the mulberries are ready she calls me and I bike over with some old sheets. I lay them under the tree, shade it and then bag all my fruits.
When I am done I prune as much of the tree as I can reach and go home to make my mulberry syrup and other delicious treats!!

girlgroupgirl
paulineristeau
Warren, MI

March 25, 2008
6:53 AM

Post #4706520

Remember as a child picking mulberries with my mother at the old sheep farmers house on the back road : ) A wonderful memory of time spent with mom, priceless . Now I have a purple mulberry in my back yard I love. I just pick a bowl full of mulberries ,wash them good then squash em pour em into the bottom of a pan stir up a quick batch of drop biscuts to drop on top then put sugar with a bit of cinnammon on that and bake until lightly brown. YUMMY , Great if you pick the berries the night befor than make it as a coffee cake substtute in the morning .

Thanks for the memories .you brought tears to my eyes(happy tears).
Thank you
Pauline
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #7822844

Way back in 1960 our Boy Scout Camp had a mulberry tree that was at least forty feet to the crown. It was a fruiting champion. The ground would be covered with over ripe and fermented berries which were ample to enable the deer to become intoxicated. Mocking birds got so drunk they would attack the camp cat. On one occasion a yearling was so drunk it could not walk. That was the beginning of a long night while we skinned it and put it on a four inch spit. The following morning we were eating venison sandwiches cooked over an open bed of coals all night. Someone knew the season was open and had a licence to make this activity legal. I can attest to the dying power of that fruit. Our boy scout shorts never yielded even to grandma's lye soap. It had to be worn off our feet. There were some unhappy moms but all the troops in that camp never forgot the deer on a spit breakfast. I don't know how many common sense rules we broke that night but it was the fault of a dandy mullbury tree. None of us died. A few remain to tell the story.
NiagaraNative
Niagara Falls, NY

May 24, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #7822918

Our main climbing tree growing up (7 of us) was a mulberry tree with a trunk that had to be 12 or so feet in diameter. It split into three branches and could be climbed until the most daring were as high as the top peak of the near-by barn. My mother would send us out barefoot - to save our socks and shoes - to harvest the mulberries during season. We were purple-footed, purple-handed and purple-faced. It was great fun but I wish I had her mulberry pie recipe. Last year I moved into a place with the first mulberry tree I've had access to since childhood. It's not quite as big as the one on the farm, but I harvested enough berries for quite a few breakfast fruit shakes. I noticed that the perfectly ripe berries had a flat, disappointing flavor -- this year maybe I'll experiment with those for a coloring agent -- but the berries that were a half day or so from ripe were tart and sweet and full of flavor. The best ones float, the others sink. I never heard of that green berry dye antidote but will be trying it this year!
orangegrovegirl
Port Saint Lucie, FL

May 24, 2010
8:16 PM

Post #7824616

Wow! What memories I have relived by reading all these comments. When I was 7 or 8, we lived at a place that had a huge mulberry tree (purple berries) growing beside our house. I used to climb that tree a lot and would sit high up, eating berries (little teeny bugs and all... after all, I was just a kid); mom would gently remind me to change out of my school clothes before climbing the tree. I really enjoyed the pies and cobblers my mother would make out of those berries. Many years later, I married a sweet guy whose mother could have made a silk plant grow! Among the many trees she had on her property was a white mulberry tree. She never cooked with them but we ate as many off the tree as we could reach; the rest were left for the wild critters.
Aunt_A

May 29, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7839978

Thanks for writing everyone!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Purple Feet! critterologist 3 Sep 15, 2008 10:05 AM
Argh! Mulberry trees! LTilton 8 Jun 16, 2010 10:05 AM
That tree's days are numbered ic_conifers 3 Mar 19, 2008 1:27 PM
Love them MitchF 8 Jun 13, 2012 9:11 PM
Let the fruiting begin! nakedgardener 2 Mar 24, 2008 5:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America