Photo by Melody

Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food?: Purple Feet!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food?
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food?Replies: 3, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #4678271

Thanks for a great article! We've got a couple of mulberry trees in back, and I love them. They're not well situated for picking lots of fruit, so the critters get most of it, but I stand under the low branches and snack to my heart's content. I also go barefoot out back a lot, so during mulberry season, the bottoms of my feet are bright purple! That really amuses the neighborhood kids... LOL

You mentioned mulberry jam rather than jelly... do you just throw the whole fruit into your jam, stems and all? Those little stems are hard to remove -- I usually just eat them along with the berries.
Aunt_A

March 19, 2008
4:54 AM

Post #4681286

Critterologist:
So welcome...thanks for the comment. Thanks for keeping the critters alive. You could tell some of the little ones that you turn into Barney the purple dino sometimes. :-) LOL. I can just imagine those purple feet.

I just have something against jelly, I think. Mom always taught us that there was something almost unimaginable about making jelly. She made Blueberry Jam, Current Jam, Apple Butter, Peach Jam, Strawberry Jam and Green Mint Jelly (and maybe a few other Jams, too). Mom always taught us to eat the peel and not waste the fiber (ugh...waste the fiber...too funny...didn't mean to make a play on words). Sometimes I just use kitchen scissors and cut the stem off close. I don't make big batches of anything...but my VitaMix beats it all up together anyway. Gotta love the VitaMix. I have to buy a new plastic container for the wet ingredients because I used it so much, I tore it up.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2008
5:31 AM

Post #4681334

I'm pretty anti-jelly, myself... never saw the sense in throwing all that "good stuff" away! But I'm not fussing with trying to remove all those bitty stems. If the stems don't add a bitter flavor or anything as it cooks, maybe I'll give it a try!

If I catch them at just the right time, there are a few branches that I can spread a drop cloth under to catch ripe fruit shaken from the tree. But I'm battling poison ivy back along that little fence row of trees, so I don't care to get right in there under the tree, LOL. Besides, as you said, the critters need to eat feast, too!
tlmiller39
Indianapolis, IN

September 15, 2008
10:05 AM

Post #5553493

i am in Indy, seems as if we have mulberry trees growing in almost every evergreen in the neighborhood,, Birds!!! we are seriously thinking about cutting our main tree to see if that takes care of the evergreen problems as we spend most of the summer and fall cutting out the mulberries from the evergreens

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Bright pink custard! :) chrissy100 14 May 29, 2010 11:56 AM
Argh! Mulberry trees! LTilton 8 Jun 16, 2010 10:05 AM
That tree's days are numbered ic_conifers 3 Mar 19, 2008 1:27 PM
Love them MitchF 8 Jun 13, 2012 9:11 PM
Let the fruiting begin! nakedgardener 2 Mar 24, 2008 5:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America