Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food?: Love them

Communities > Forums > Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food?
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food?Replies: 8, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #4679498

One of the great trees we plant just for the fruit, for ourselves and the birds to enjoy. A great tree with a little thought in planning - thank you for the wonderful article.
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

March 19, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #4680402

I agree. I LOVE them. They are a delicious berry to eat right off the tree! I planted one in my back yard.
cedarnest
Northeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #4680782

Love them too : ) One of my most cherished trees on our property.We are planting another this spring.Quite the songbird magnet. Wonderful article Aunt_A : )
Aunt_A

March 19, 2008
5:07 AM

Post #4681306

Mitch F: Thanks so much. I see you've another article. I'll have to click in tomorrow to read it. Very true about the thought in planning! Unless, of course, you don't mind pink and purple stains on the carpet and car and everywhere else.

soapwort243: Aren't they great?!? Do you have the white, red or purple? We are thinking about moving in the next 3 years so I hate to plant another tree here that I will end up leaving. However, it will feed the birds for me for as long as it stands, so maybe I will plant it anyway.

cedarnest: What color are you planting? You are right, the birds are really drawn to the Mulberry Tree. Thanks for the sweet comment.
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

March 19, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #4683523

Aunt A- They're great! The one I have is called an "Illinois 21 Mulberry" The tree doesn't get as tall as other mulberries. It boasts of having the sweetest, best tasting berries. They are the dark purple. I never tasted the white ones.
yes- they stain, but they're worth it. :)
I really look forward to them!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2008
12:37 PM

Post #4702118

When I was a kid, we lived in the country and had a HUGE white mulberry near the house. The fruit was very yummy and the shade of the tree wonderful. I remember the downsides were that the raccoons would visit the tree at night and fight. If you've never heard that event, it is quite something. It's like snorting PIGS. The tree was near my bedroom so this was pretty annoying!! The other bad thing was at the end of the fruiting season, the yard smelled horrible. And of course, those scrub trees in the fence line are tenacious!!

As an adult, I've recently taken up bird watching and would really appreciate having a specimen tree like this again.

Fl_gardener77
Melbourne, FL

May 23, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #7820368

I have read that a few of you live in Florida, and get 2-3 harvests a year, I get one.
Can you tell me what you are doing, ie: fertilizer, sun, trimming??
Aunt_A

May 29, 2010
12:03 PM

Post #7840010

Thanks for writing!
KLGirl

June 13, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9164412

I have just read about people who love their mulberry trees and people who think of them as pests. Oh dear! Which is right? I have just planed one in my backyard. I thought of all the wonderful fruit, shade and the fact that my kids here in tropical Malaysia can get to dance round the mulberry bush!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Bright pink custard! :) chrissy100 14 May 29, 2010 11:56 AM
Purple Feet! critterologist 3 Sep 15, 2008 10:05 AM
Argh! Mulberry trees! LTilton 8 Jun 16, 2010 10:05 AM
That tree's days are numbered ic_conifers 3 Mar 19, 2008 1:27 PM
Let the fruiting begin! nakedgardener 2 Mar 24, 2008 5:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America