Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: My face is red-what is it?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 203
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Runew
Pleasantville, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2001
10:12 AM

Post #11435

I grew this from seed. I knew what it was at that point. I planted it in my rock wall- forgot to label it- it bloomed, very pretty-now I need to figure out what it is. Help?

Thumbnail by Runew
Click the image for an enlarged view.

phloxy_lady
West Portsmouth, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2001
11:54 AM

Post #114499

Maybe, an Aster???
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2001
12:04 PM

Post #114504

it took me a minute to see the 2 different plants.
the first i thought was rose champion, but the flower didnt match..then i noticed the slug (nice specimen, lol) and saw the different leaves on the bottom right.
i think the smaller plant (with the flower) may be an impatience. im not sure if i spelled that right.
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2001
12:30 PM

Post #114523

Removed by member request
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2001
2:45 PM

Post #114578

Yup... the little plant is impatiens. I think the larger one is probably a forget-me-not. If it didn't bloom for you this year it will bloom next year.
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2001
7:49 PM

Post #114766

hold yer hat, fred, i got one right, lol
Runew
Pleasantville, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2001
9:50 PM

Post #114833

Oh, golly, folks. It can't be impatiens or aster for that matter. I didn't grow either from seed. Could it be Erinus alpinus? I did grow that. Its common name is alpine balsam, so if it looks to you all like impatiens and balsam IS another form of impatiens, then maybe it is the Erinus.
Ruth
Baa

August 23, 2001
10:00 PM

Post #114846

Sorry to disappoint but it is an Impatiens, Erinus has a much smaller flowers with lance shaped sticky leaves, and is in the Scropulariaceae family (foxglove family, its common name here in the UK is fairy foxglove)

Impatiens walleriana is in the Balsaminaceae family and is most certainly what you have there. It may be that it came in from somewhere and self sown itself.
Lazydaisy
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2001
8:06 AM

Post #115129

I agree with Baa and all that said it was an Impatient. I have them all over my greenhouse and the seeds furl all over the place . They will come up everywhere . I don't know how it got there regardless if you didn't plant it. That is what you got. I could not believe the audacity of that slug to just pose for his picture after he ate big holes in your plant. Give him a shot of beer quick. lol
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2001
4:09 PM

Post #115313

I must be blind as a bat. I can't see the slug in the picture. Where is it? :)
Runew
Pleasantville, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2001
5:36 PM

Post #115369

OK, I buy it. A self-sowed impatiens. Oh, well.
The slug is on the lower left leaf. Big as life. I didn't see him when I was taking the pic or he would have faced instant death.
Congrats to all you wonderful knowledgeable plant identifiers. As soon as I decided you were right, I checked my hanging baskets and of course that's what it is.
Now my face is purple, not red.
Thanks again, all.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America