Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Soap and Candle-making: I want to try making liquid soap

Communities > Forums > Soap and Candle-making
bookmark
Forum: Soap and Candle-makingReplies: 5, Views: 129
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pashsoapmakers
Plant City, FL

March 20, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #4686356

I have looked up some recipes and it appears to take a few days to make. The first day it takes hours or stirring. I have also looked up making liquid soap from shavings of some of my soap bars that don't have a strong enough scent or cut wierd and that got kinda thick after a few days. Both recipes have water, the first is of course with the potassium hydroxide and the second water used in rebatching. Do I need to use a preservative?

Thanks
soaper1218
Gulf Breeze, FL

October 21, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5699851

To make liquid soap you replace the lye with potash which is also known as potassium hydroxide. It saponifys the oils but never get to the point where they harden into a bar. You just need a SAP table for potassium hydroxide so you get the formula right.

Steve
Soap Making Guide
http://www.colebrothers.com/soap

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #8223922

Anything that you add water or liquid too would best be served by adding a preservative.

Blessings

Janet
gregbaker
Newark, NJ

November 21, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8900208

I add a preservative to mine.
Supriya123

July 16, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9206854

There are many recipes of making soap and candle which we can easily get searching on net.Many websites offer so many DIY tasks where we can get the answers of our queries.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2012 12:40 AM
lbtddr
Norwood, MO

November 9, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9328966

If you are just using it for your self i make mine with 1 bar of soap add like a quart of water heat in pan to mixed add like one tablespoon of glycern to keep from clumping when mixed add to half a gallon of water i use for this for laundry soap to you can add borax and or washing powder to make it a high cleaning agent works great and cheap i use natural soap from http://www.soapnbath.com it is a good natural cleaner

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 14 Aug 21, 2007 9:24 AM
I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas veeja3 10 Jun 1, 2010 7:56 PM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Hello, new candlemaker to this forum... waxedout 11 Aug 10, 2014 8:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America