Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Roll out the barrel, the rain barrel that is!: Question re: winter

Communities > Forums > Article: Roll out the barrel, the rain barrel that is!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Roll out the barrel, the rain barrel that is!Replies: 7, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gabagoo
Yonkers, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #4687598

I have been thinking about setting up a rain barrel(s) for my garden.
When I read the descriptions for the ones advertised in the catalogues, on-line sites, etc. They say they have to be stored during the winter months.
Is this true?
I don't live in an area that gets a non-stop deep freeze for days on end. I'm in zone 6.
I don't think it would totally freeze solid.

If this is something that can be left out year-round, I will look into it further.
However, if not - I probably would have to pass on it.
I don't have a place where I could store them. No basement, no garage.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2008
9:42 PM

Post #4687847

Me too, Paul, same situation. We do have a garage but it is completely full of people's (none of it is mine!) STUFF. x, Carrie
edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #4688077

I bought mine,paid about $100.00 per barrel.Own 8 barrels.I was told to bring them inside during the winter.I store them empty in my unheated garage.Apparently they will freeze solid and split.Too much money invested for me to take the chance.They stack well but still take up room.If disconnected the barrels so no water would go in them,They could probably be stored outside during the winter.I live in zone 5,have the room to store them inside,so I do.Edge

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #4688738

Lucky for you, Edge! (Sounds like you got a great deal, too.)
wvgardendeva
Berkeley Springs, WV
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #4702546

I live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV - Zone 6 - and have two rain barrels that I got last summer. I left them outside this winter with temps into the mid-teens some nights. They had water in them but were not completely full. They survived the winter just fine, even the hoses on them were Ok. I have been using the water all winter for my house plants.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #4703107

Zone 7a. We have had our purchased rain barrel 10 years and left it outside, empty all that time (uh, mostly). It has however developed a leak recently. We haven't solved it yet. Could just be accumulation of freeze/thaw and maybe even breakdown of sunlight.

With the terrible drought N. Ga. has been in, we have been quite proud that we did the RB thing a long time ago. :)

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #6990835

I know it's late to bump this thread, but all I do is turn mine upside down in the winter. Possible freezing problem solved...

Doug
gabagoo
Yonkers, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6992273

Thanks, Doug!
I think that would probably work.

Nancy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Roll out the barrel, the rain barrel that is! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great read, one question though astcgirl 6 Apr 7, 2008 9:13 PM
Good and timely article Dutchlady1 1 Mar 20, 2008 7:16 PM
great flowrgirl1 0 Mar 20, 2008 4:18 PM
For the unhandyman edgeoftheworld 1 Mar 21, 2008 8:23 PM
rainbarrel availability nettesbulldog 0 Mar 21, 2008 1:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America