Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BrightStar
Chesapeake, VA

March 21, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #4689076

Hello, Handypeople. I had a heated plant propagator that I got at a yardsale. Base, heating cables, cracked clear dome. My father has taken it in hand. He has built a new "dome" for it, and a stand. Now he wants to put artificial lights over it, but he doesn't know how much room to leave between the surface of the soil and the lights. He's building a light stand now, you see.

He wants to start seeds with it.

Any ideas on how high the lights should be above the soil? I told him about 2 feet probably (I pulled that distance out of the air.) Was I right?

Thank you in advance for responding

BrightStar
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2008
2:56 AM

Post #4689180

I'd try to make the height of the lights adjustable if at all possible--the ideal distance is no more than 2-3 inches above the tops of the seedlings, but obviously as they grow you'll need some ability to move the lights so they don't run into them! Or put the lights higher and prop your flats up on something to keep them close to the lights, then move the flats down as the seedlings get taller.
BrightStar
Chesapeake, VA

March 22, 2008
3:58 AM

Post #4693738

Thank you, ecrane3. I'll tell my Dad.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America