Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Coming from thread number 8:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/804061/

You all are such fun!

Karen Marie

Photo is of television tube glass tumbled for a few days

Thumbnail by WUVIE
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

WOW!! Seriously that is so pretty...never in a million years would I have thought to use a TV tube:)

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

That's perty!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Of course, this particular television tube was very old. Back when
televisions weighed a ton and had a full blown bubble for a screen.

That is some thick glass! I found it in a junk pile way out back in a
pile of glass and such. Fully intact, ripe for the hammer. Heh heh!

Interesting in that the fractures in the glass were open in the beginning
stages of tumbling. Sediment from the tumbling seeped into the fractures,
then as they tumbled, locked the sediment into the cracks.

Now you can understand how some mountains and boulders get that same
look. Imagine this same process on a grand scale taking millions of years.
It boggles the mind.

I put these into the aquarium and they look so neat, because the light
of the tank really brings the sediment fractures to life. To light.

Karen Marie

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Karen, leave it to you to get me started breaking something else. lol...I wonder if a newer tv would have the same effect? The picture tube is about shot and the hammer could complete the task...dump will get it, so may as well be in pieces. At least it will be easier to handle.
Faye

near cardiff, United Kingdom

I LIKE THE GLASS,Wuvie i just finished a sea glass mirror,just need to grout it,its for a pubs ladies wc,made with tiles and wine bottle.see u all soon,sorry i have not been about much.caro.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Caro, hope you can pop in again soon,

Take care! Can't wait to see pics of what you are doing!

KM

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

I ordered a 6 lb tumbler and it should be here any day! Let the smashing begin, hee hee.

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

Speak of the devil...my tumbler was waiting on the front porch when I got home today! Time to rock and roll!

Phoenix, AZ

I found this a tumbler at a yard sale and hope you 'tumblers' can confirm if it's a good find or not. It's a "Thumbler's Tumbler", model A - R 12. The motor says "Fasco" with an RPM of 1550. There are some other numbers but I don't know what they mean. I was just so excited to find any tumbler at all for $20 that I didn't quibble and the guy who sold it knew nothing about it. What to do next?

Alma

mulege, Mexico

I think that's a good deal. I've seen them on ebay - you could check the regular price there.

katiebear

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

Sounds like it...what is the capacity?

Phoenix, AZ

Since it just occurred to me to look it up - duh - I discovered it has a 12# capacity. And that it sells online for anywhere from $179 to $199 - so I guess I did OK, presuming it all works!

Do I remember correctly that to tumble broken glass I need mortar sand? I've actually saved a few bottles, hoping for a tumbler - and now I have one! I just want to start with some good advice.

Alma

mulege, Mexico

You can use most any kind of sand - or none. Even without sand the glass will lose it's sharp edges quite quickly.

katiebear

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Alma,

Congrats on the tumbler, great job, good find!

Karen Marie

Graham, WA

Wuvie, that is just so very pretty!!! You always amaze me with all you tumble!!!!

Phoenix, AZ

That glass is so pretty, I'm hoping to find an old TV myself. What will you do with it?

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

DH started up the tumbler with some rocks and about the 3rd day belt broke. I got mine at Harbor Freight so called and ordered 2 belts @$2.99 ea. plus tax plus shipping. Won't get them for a couple weeks so DH decided he was going to try an O ring. Went to auto parts store and bought a package of 3 for $2.30 and tumbler has been going great for several days. O rings are a lot thinner then belt, but so far has been doing the job. Just thought I'd pass a bit of info on to all of you that tumble rocks and glass.

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

Drag.....I think somewhere on another of the sea glass threads Cheryl used a vacuum cleaner belt on her HF tumbler and was able to cut it into 4 belts.

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

Bender I did and it works just fine .
I posted the # somewhere on here talking about the belts ..
Im not a paying member so I cant search .
The # are back at the shop . but I do remember its a Hoover Belt
Cheryl

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm not a paid member so I can't search either.. I should have written it down then :-P

Here I thought DH had an original idea about belts for tumblers. I just became a paid subscriber so I will look around and see if I can find out about the vacuum cleaner belts. Wish I had seen that before ordering the belts, always after the fact.

Ok I found the post
it it is a Hoover vac belt # 38528-035
Cheryl

LOL I was just goint to write that I found the post. Thanks for looking it up. I'm going to look for a Hoover belt next time I go to Wal-Mart or Target. DH says the tumbler is still running with the O ring he put on it. I did get the duel tumbler at HF when on sale and then the salesperson gave me another discount and didn't have the medium for it so knocked another $5 off. I got a pretty good deal, should have read all the posts and I would have known I didn't have to order any belts. The postage was more than the belts cost.

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Cheryl. I wrote it down now!

your welcome ...

Brooklyn, NY

Hi there - last time I made a post was to the wrong thread - LOL. That's what happens when you have too many IE windows open. This has been such a wonderful thread - I know I'm really late to the topic, but I just happened upon it when I was looking for something else (which is typical when surfing the net ;-))

I love the topic and am extremely intrigued by the art. Is everyone/anyone still crafting? Please post. Thank you!

Olympia, WA

I haven't been doing any more of this - but I do have two tumblers and glass waiting for something to happen. Maybe I should give it another whirl or two!!!!!!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Haven't tumbled lately - all of my little Rolling Stones tumblers are deceased.
I'm too cheap to buy an expensive tumbler, so I'm keeping my eye out for them
at yard sales, thrift stores, etc.

I've been saving some beautiful rocks I found out front for tumbling.

:-) Good to see this thread alive again.

Brooklyn, NY

I'm glad to see it up and running, too!

Sorry to read that you're not tumbling anymore - you had such great ideas, Wuvia. I've been looking for a reasonably priced tumbler, but have yet to find one. All of the ones I've found are 35 and up. Am I being cheap, or is that their going rate? Also, during the course of the thread, I've read where people tumbled the glass for days. Does the tumbler stay on 24 hours, or is it only kept on for a few hours at a time each day until the desired effect has been achieved?

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Toni,

Well, many stained glass fans like to put their glass into the tumblers for a
very short time - it is said to take the sharpness off but not the sheen.

I run my tumblers 24 hours a day for at least four days. The longer the tumble,
the better, but in some cases, like certain stones, will become smaller as each
day goes by.

:-) $35.00 is not too much unless you are buying it at a particular hobby store.
If that is the case, (Hob Lob) always wait for the 40% off coupon.

Karen Marie

tonifafa
Harbor Freight Runs then on sale you just have to keep an eye on their ads I got my double for less then the price of the single.
havent run mine for a while .... Just got back into the glass shop after about 8 mons it sure was dusty in there.
Cheryl

Brooklyn, NY

okay, thank you! I'll wait until the tumblers go on sale - it'll be hard, but I have the patience of Job. ;-)

Has anyone seen any further works from caro_uk? I really liked her mirrors.

I bought mine at Harbor Freight and got it for good price, couldn't wait to start tumbling, but got interested in other things so tumber has been sitting waiting for me to start again. Mine is also a double and better buy then a single. I'm always looking for some nice stones to tumble and I'd love to tumble some glass. I have this problem of starting too many projects at one time.

Samigal,
Your in a good place for that can you say A.D.D....
I have so many UFOs ill never get them all finished ....lol

Just to finish one project before I start another would take a miracle. I've had ADD for so long..........you know when my son had it way back when they called it hyperkentic and tried to blame it on sugar and a lot of other things. He couldn't sit still for one minute, sometimes I wonder how he slept through the night. He just about drove me crazy in those early years. Can I blame my problems on that????
Amazing though how I can stay with the computer for so long or read a book. I've read more books in the last few months than I have in my entire life.

mulege, Mexico

They say insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids so I think you've got the perfect excuse.
kb

Thanks katiebear, I needed to hear that. LOL I think DH started on me before the kids did.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Argh. Must. Not. Start. Smashing. Bottles.

Too. Many. Projects. Already.

GAAAAAAAAAH!

*smash*

Dahlonega, GA

Wuvie, Your hands look SO clean . I get ground in grubby with my projects .( I really do wash them ). Do you wear gloves a lot ? I never could do much with them on . digger

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images