Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lotsofkids
Steubenville, OH

March 21, 2008
2:24 PM

Post #4690518

I am planting creeping phlox on two hillsides near the back of my house. I was thinking of putting landscaping fabric down first to eliminate the weeds. I have never used it before though and was wondering how it works. Will this affect it's ability to spread or come back next year? Any tips for planting and growing creeping phlox? How close should I plant them to have them come in nice and full? Thanks for all the advice. I LOVE creeping phlox and never had a place to put it before. Happy Easter!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2008
2:31 PM

Post #4690574

I wouldn't recommend the landscaping fabric, you'd be better off just planting the phlox and then mulching around it. Or if you're trying to smother weeds, put down a layer of newspaper, then poke holes through it to plant the phlox, then put mulch over top.
shebs45
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #4691284

I agree with ecrane. I've used the newspaper with mulch arrangement, and it works really well controlling weeds. I'm now waiting to see if previously planted daffodil bulbs that I covered will burst through the newspaper and mulch. It's too soon for me to tell; it's spring and still snowing here :-(

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America